Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: scale hydros, sportsboats  (Read 5102 times)

vintagent

scale hydros, sportsboats
« on: May 21, 2010, 10:15:05 am »

Hi , I was wondering if there is much interest in scale hydros and class boats.  I once had an R1 hydro briefly.  I also had an Albatross speedboat (Hull 135) and would be interested to see scale versions of these rarely mentioned kinds of boats.  The R1 hydro had a Hillman Imp engine in it, so was like a mini-Unlimited. Good for 85-90 mph. Arch Imp tuner, Andy Cheesman was World Champ in erm...19- something!  74, I think.
And how about a "kneeler" hydro?  Although a suitable outboard leg would be needed for those and a driver figure absolutely necessary.
I've seen them at Stewartby in Beds.  Great day out, btw.  VERY welcoming club with subsidised beer in the clubhouse and slick organisation.  They would also welcome a display from a model boat club during the "quiet" hour. I asked them!

Jutta thought, Eccles.

Regards,
Vintagent

vintagent

Re: scale hydros, sportsboats
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 07:44:58 pm »

NOBODY????

Good Heavens.

Maybe some pics would get things going, eh?
See what I can do.
Vintagent

vintagent

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:35:36 pm »

Let's try some pics of some R1 hydros.
These are all Hillman Imp powered.

In America the class was taken further and is still used under the classification of Y-1 with all sorts of hull types.

Enjoy!!

Vintagent

Harbottle

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 08:59:04 pm »

Is that Norton rotary powered outfit that Jim Noone used to drive still around. I read a while back that he'd retired from the sport.
I went to a "have a go day" at Tamworth in the early nineties and met Andy Cheesman. I believe he died in a crash in Belgium.
I enjoyed my go in the "kneeler" OSY400 hydro.

vintagent

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:33:07 pm »

Harbottle, you bu****, you had a go?? Damn, I'm jealous. It'd kill me now!

I didn't know Jim Noone had a Norton powered one,. That sounds very interesting and I must look it up.  Andy Chesman did die in a crash, yes, but his company is still going.  There's some good info on the Imp Club Site.

Are you a hydro modeller?
Gawd knows there's few enough of us.  Wish it was like America, but I'm still waiting to be accepted for the RumRunner forum.  It takes them longer than the Freemasions!!

Nice to hear from you.
Regards,
Vintagent

vintagent

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:48:33 am »

Harbottle,
I looked up the Noones and found that Jim had a record back in the 70s with the Norton engined Blufin, after that it was Paul, but the last records shown for R1 was Len Moore who had both R1 and R2 with an Imp engine.  Nothing much since.
He then went on to get the Windermere record at 147 mph.

I wonder what has happened to the Windermere Motor Boat Racing Club now that there is a speed limit on the lake.  Is Broad Leys still their clubhouse?

Regards,
Vintagent

Harbottle

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 03:39:20 pm »

It must have been around 1991 that I had a go in the hydro. They used to organise these days at the Midlands Hydroplane Club. They had a little monohull, a S850 Sportsboat (cat), and the OSY400. They had a kneeler and a laydown in the hydro class. I fancied the kneeler. Brilliant experience!
It must have been about the same time that I saw the rotary-powered R1 racing at Nottingham. I seem to recall they had international championships for R1, OSY400, and 850cc monohulls at the same event over the august bank holiday weekend.
I think I read somewhere that the Norton was a two-rotor job, and the way that the capacity of these engines is calculated meant that the "swept volume" was well under the one litre limit. Though it was comparable to the other engines on power output. A request to run a three-rotor engine was refused as this would have produced much more power than the other types of engine in use. That's how I recall it anyway.

vintagent

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 05:35:52 pm »

I've hunted high and low on the net for info, but there's nothing that talks much about the boat, the engine or shows pictures.
Pity, it would be an interesting project. 
Didn't OS make a model Wankel?

I'm looking for strong, but small gears to incorporate in an outboard leg I'll have to make.  For the drive it'll be a brushless.

I'm also doing a model of the Whippet class.  Pretty little boats.  Steve Mills is building replicas in Nottingham.

Regards,
Vintagent

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 09:49:18 pm »

Hello Vint. There is a cabover hydro model on ebay at the moment, item#110536742814. by fishingfreelander from Devon. Worth a look.
..well can you land on this?

vintagent

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 09:49:00 am »

Thanks arrow, just about to go and have a look.
Thanks,
Vintagent

Tombsy

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 03:29:22 pm »

If you haven't already, check out Offshore Electrics there is a great forum and store.
They have outboard legs and conversions for brushless.

vintagent

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 06:17:52 pm »

My dear bride has bought me the hydro from ebay, bless her.  Birthdays and Christmas combo!
Thanks for the heads up.  I thought she'd say no straight away.  But it'll give me something to actually take to a pond as everything else I have is unbuilt in various stages.

Regards,
Vintagent

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 09:50:22 pm »

Nice Lady your wife :-))   post a few pics when the hydro arrives.  I wonder if some of the plans from Newton Marine in the US scaled down would do for a Brit series of our size racers.  The earlier "shovelnose" types and  "pickefork" types in particular.
..well can you land on this?

vintagent

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 10:26:37 am »

Hi Arrow, it's certainly easier, as ever, to find info on American hydros as they're so well documented.  And they seem keener on their history than we do.
I have far more pictures of a Jacoby Flyaway hull than say, a Swift.
With the council throwing away the National Powerboat museum there is nowhere to research any more.

I'll check out that site you mention.

I'll put up some pics when the hydro arrives.  I'm getting some small brushless motors and may try fitting one in the outboard which I'm guessing is a Graupner.
Thanks.

Vintagent

vintagent

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 12:44:21 pm »

A week without the pootah thanks to the modem, but we;re back on again with a pile of stuff to catch up with!

My little hydro arrived and it transpires it's an MFA kit in vac form.  The outboard looks nicely made, but it's not a Graupner.  Black, with a geared powerhead and steered by very nice cables from the TINIEST servo I've ever seen, but it all came with ESC and Acoms radio gear and will "scale" up a treat.  there's a very buxom lady driver moulded in resin SOLID! who could be slush moulded by a friend of mine much lighter and used as a good 1/8th "bust" with helmet.  If anyone's interested in that, let me know.  What's there is very well modelled.

Now I have to get some batteries.  Would NiMHs be alright?  My son got eight pencells off ebay for a tenner. 2400 mAH.  Is that what I'd need? 
I have no idea about batteries at all. I last had 'em when they were called NiCads and weighed a ton.

I also have some LiPos from a friend. A pack at 7.4 volts and a smaller pack with no description.
What charger should I get for both types.
Any idiot info for me would be gratefully received.

Regards,
Vintagent

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 04:15:50 pm »

I have moulds for a unlimited style hydro,shes based on the zippkits roundnose hydro.Heres a pic of her.I also have a set of plans i got from the states of a kneeler hydro like in the pics.I was going to make it and run an inboard setup with a dummy outboard as outboards are tooe xpensive and inboard is easier and faster .Oh these are all big boats for zenoah style engines  :-),heres a vid of my old zippkits.Fastest speed i got was 69 mph  ;).Sold her a few months back minus engine.
Mart

http://www.youtube.com/user/martno1fan#p/u/5/wVGBWC_3MuY

vintagent

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 05:22:24 pm »

I bet you wish that V8 was a real Conley version that actually ran, eh?

I like those shovel nos shapes, but as usual;, I feel the need to model British stuff mainly.
Although the American woodies are gorgeous.  But the lesser known ones, like baby Gars, Hackers, Dodges and Greavettes, Lyman and Minett-Shields are my weakness.
But Gibbs in England did a very nice launch that was the equal of some of those.  Broom and Brooke too. Brooke even made their own engines.

I have a complete chapter with drawings of the Darby One Design hydro in an old issue of Motor Boat and Yachting Year Book.  Very useful.  You could actually build a new one from that!  If you can find a Ford 10 engine and 'box.

Regards,
Vintagent
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.