Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NORTON ANTIVIRUS USERS BEWARE  (Read 5191 times)

Patternmaker

NORTON ANTIVIRUS USERS BEWARE
« on: May 23, 2010, 09:15:24 am »

Norton Anti Virus users beware. my subscription expires on 1st June I received an email on 6th May that they had taken £64.99 from my credit card with an automatic subscription renewal which I had previously cancelled as I pointed out it is illegal to retain individual credit card details
Bearing in mind that you can download from their website for £29.99. There is no contact phone number in the UK. After sending 4 emails all of which returned I eventually found a Norton chat room where you type in your question to an Indian gentlemen and he responses with an answer, eventually Norton immediately refunded my credit card.

You can purchase the Norton 2010 version for 3 computers which guarantees to stop malware for £ 22.00   

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: NORTON ANTIVIRUS USERS BEWARE
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:49:22 am »

Tesco's sell the 3 machine one cheap too.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Dreadstar

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:31:20 am »

The first thing I did on getting my new laptop,was to delete Norton from the system. I really hate that prog.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 10:45:49 am »

Soooooo many freebies out there, I use Avast as A/V and Malwarebytes Anti malware as a cleaner, Ccleaner, Recuva and Defraggler.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 10:50:55 am »

The first thing I did on getting my new laptop,was to delete Norton from the system. I really hate that prog.

I, like you got rid of Norton a couple of years ago, but the new one, Norton 360 is the best A/V program I have ever had. They really have improved ..

poddy

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:18:16 am »

I divorced myself from Norton and McAfee years ago. I too use freeware. I've been using AVG and Zone alarm for more than 5 years now with no problems or demands for more money!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 11:34:25 am »

Norton has always been so resourse hungry, I walked away from it years ago

I now use Avira or an Apple mac lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 11:40:16 am »

Footski is right, Norton really has changed and is considered one of the most effective paid for AV programs in recent reviews with a small resource footprint. Unfortunately its previous reputation is hard to shake off. I don't use it myself though.

I have tried one or two free programs but have had problems getting regular updates due to the free version of the program suffering from bandwidth restrictions, probably to try and encourage people to cough up for the paid for version.

I use Steganos on my main PC but just use Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender on the laptop.

Colin

tomo55

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »

I used Norton when I had a PC it was as stated on a earlier post resource hungry.
Ive gone back to Apple mac and its so much easier.
Chris

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 02:23:59 pm »

I have Norton 360 for three computers from Amazon cost about £35.00 Excellent.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 02:53:08 pm »

Thanks for the warning, Patternmaker. Unlike Poddy, I had a very similar experience with ZoneAlarm.

I have been very impressed with Norton, especially for filtering out spam E-Mails.

Mike

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 03:25:54 pm »

I eventually found a Norton chat room where you type in your question to an Indian gentlemen and he responses with an answer, eventually Norton immediately refunded my credit card.

I too have had a inimical divorce from Norton..... funnily enough though, if a non techice asks me to recommend an AV, I usually say Norton.....  {:-{

Do you still have the URL/webpage of the chat-room for future reference Pattenmaker?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patternmaker

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 02:26:48 pm »

I divorced myself from Norton and McAfee years ago. I too use freeware. I've been using AVG and Zone alarm for more than 5 years now with no problems or demands for more money!

Seriously, bin AVG. It always comes bottom of the free av software ratings. If you want a quality free av, use Avira's free offerring or Avast's free home edition. Free AVG just doesnt go deep enough to find real virus threats.

Dreadstar

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 03:04:12 pm »

AVG is good as a starter free prog,but nowadays I use the Zonealarm internet security suite,(an upgrade from Zonealarm Pro).

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 03:53:35 pm »

AVG is good as a starter free prog,but nowadays I use the Zonealarm internet security suite,(an upgrade from Zonealarm Pro).

Each to their own but I would strongly recommend people steer clear of free AVG. Honestly, it comes bottom of the free av comparison reviews on the net. Havent used zonealarm so cannot comment.

I've used
Norton
McAfee
Kaspersky
NOD32
Avast
Avira

Avast was very good for a free av but I just dont have confidence in free stuff being a believer of 'you get what you pay for.'

All the others caused issues on one sort or another except avira which Im using now and have for the last 2 years.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 03:54:11 pm »

I've had far less problems with free AVG & Zone Alarm, than I've ever had with Nortons.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 03:58:05 pm »

I've had far less problems with free AVG & Zone Alarm, than I've ever had with Nortons.

Cant speak about ZA Martin but AVG just doesnt go deep enough into your pc registry to find all the viruses.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 04:45:39 pm »

Have used AVG for five years now, no problems whatsoever, use crap cleaner and registry mechanic as free downloads also, brill.
          Needed help and took a great deal of searching to finally remove all traces of Symantec (Norton),  there were hidden files everywhere, very much of a "we control you" kind of programme I thought.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 05:16:42 pm »

The Symantic (Norton) site has removal tools to remove the Norton AV software as a free download.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

chingdevil

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 06:39:24 pm »

I have AVG Pro Ver9 and  have not had issues with it at all and I also have Zone Alarm on my PC, on my old PC I did try McAfee as I could get a version through my company absolute nightmare. I now stick with what I know works.

Brian

pakie0

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 08:16:59 pm »

Ihave had norton slowed my machine down to no end I now use avira premium and at £16 a year I t is excellent and I have hAD NO ISSUES SINCE STARTING %%

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 10:49:37 pm »

I never used norton, but I stopped believing in Norton when I was over helping a
mate with his computer. He had a current subscription with Norton, but was having
issues with his computers...

I made sure each of his computers had the latest updates, and ran the Norton AV....
Each computer was pronouced clean and spotless. So I then went online, and ran
Trend Micro's Housecall. ... ... ... Trend Micro found 300 instances of four different
virus one each computer... AND, each time that Trend Micro found an instance, ONLY THEN,
did Norton pop up a window, and announce that it also recognized the files as malware...

Very sad performance for Norton...
This was later repeated and verified by another friend that I told this story to... He also used
Norton exclusively, and when he ran the additional scan using Housecall, he also found several
instances of Malware, and Norton also tried to chip in and say that it knew that the files were bad...
But only after the other software found the problem.  %)

Now a days even Trend Micro is owned by Symantec, so I am not so sure of even Housecall ,... but
Housecall still does a good job when trying to diagnose problems with computers...

:((

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 11:42:00 pm »

Very interesting thread, and some learned comments.
Dumped Norton & MacAfee years ago and never went back on Because "Guru" said no.  <*<
Have recently stopped using Free AVG & Zonealarm after many years, due to conflict with IE8 browser as was demonstrated by my ISP's Tech support.  <:(
Have now switched to Firefox browser.  :-))
Am interested to hear any comments about COMODO internet suite.
It is Freeware and combines two programs, firewall and virus checking.  O0

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 12:54:48 am »

As fate deemed it.......my Hewlett Packard w Windows XP Pro died a few months back  >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Purchased a new Hewlett Packard running Win7x64...installed OK ran that  %% free 30 days of Norton ....deleted it after two days & reinstalled my licenced copy of Vet CA [Computer Associates].... = ERROR

Rang the HELP line.....got to speak with a with a real person...who said "OK...I see you have been using Vet CA for four x years"...."but now you need Vet CA x 2010 for Win7x64"

The techo [from Europe] asked for permission to take over control of my PC ..which I did by key stroke authorization...I watched as he then down loaded & installed Vet CA x 2010  :police:

I could also see my Licence numbers & installation/registration dates for the previous  four x installations x the number of PC's linked......

On the first pass,  Vet CA x 2010 confirmed 18 baddies not detected by Norton

$89.99 AUD for a three PC's  x 12 month subscription ....I use it on two PC's here in my home city & one PC in Adelaide.....good value  :-))......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.