Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I hate fibreglass!  (Read 3107 times)

hazmat

I hate fibreglass!
« on: May 24, 2010, 11:53:05 pm »

Not really but I'm building a tug from scratch and have used fibre glass tissue to seal the plywood hull. It looked OK but a 'bit hairy' so added another coat of resin.
result was the dreaded 'runs'. <:(
the question is simple, not how did i go wrong (that one i know) but how to smooth out the 'paint runs'.
Is it just a case of making with the wet and dry or is there something simpler?

Paul

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I hate fibreglass!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:51:11 am »

paul
yes
andrew

ps - where the wheels fell off may not be where you thought it was :}  Yes the second coat was too thick/heavy, and Yes the answer is lots of wet and dry with a little detergent in lots of water - But try and get the hull VERY welll cured before sanding - put it in a warm place for a couple of nights, if you can.

The second coat to cure hairiness may not have been necessary - sometimes wet and dry at this stage will smooth the surface - leaving it looking very manky.
If you want to add a final coat of resin (presumably polyester - the smelly one) then you can mix in thixotropic additives (powdered silica) to reduce slumping and running.
You can also thin this coat and paint it on really thin so it is just a layer to hold in the raggy glass strands.

Good luck with the elbow grease - please send us pictures, and don't worry - everyone hates Fibreglass at some time!
andrew

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 03:02:45 am »

When you do fiberglass again, use a small disposable roller instead of a paint brush. Some use a metal roller, but I've had success with the foam jobs available at paint stores.

John

787Eng

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 11:54:47 am »

Not sure why every one gets in such a mess when glassing there hulls....

Here is what can be achieved very easily if time is taken, no thinning, no fillers...Yes a bit of sanding......baby bottom smooth.....and light :-))

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=22242.msg220673#msg220673

Mark

hazmat

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 12:04:09 am »

Hi all, interesting comments.
OK, maybe a light sanding would have done the job without the extra coat BUT that's life in this novices house.
Poly resin was my choice (banned from the house now cause of the stink!) but as for additives (thixotropic thingy's), a little too clever for me.
Rollers seem like a plan for the next time. Usually I use a stippler brush (pack of 5 for a £1) as it doesn't tear fiber tissue. The mistake I made this time was using a damn brush!!!
I've Left the beast for two days now so wet and dry tomorrow (oh! my aching arms).

Tuggy has been designed from IMC Thrust Liner design spec. I didn't want to copy the format seen on UK waters and Utube'y (curtain track approach) so it's going to be a bit unusual.
All ply (plus drippy fiber glass).  Pics of the build are still being compiled and will rope in the nearest 8 year old to help me post them as I'm not too computer savvy.

Anyone got an unwanted schottle drive for sale??

Paul

p.s. 787Eng. Lovely finish, does it float well??

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 01:01:50 am »

Anyone got an unwanted schottle drive for sale??

Paul

Try here for a schottle drive:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23952.0

John

787Eng

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 09:06:03 am »

Like a brick if the engine stopped!  :D

As I said in the previous post, I used West System Epoxy and it has next to NO smell and even put the parts in the wife's Laundry room to cure as it has the hot water tank in there so it was nice and warm......Really nice to sand along with it....

Mark

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 11:53:50 am »

Related on other threads, you can also use Silk instead of Glass cloths. Might be easier to obtain and used in exactly the same way.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

hazmat

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 01:26:22 pm »

Silk as in stockings?
Hadn't heard that one, didn't know you could use natural fibres. Always thought it was glass fibre or nothing.
I learn something new every day.
Thanks circlip.

Sanding worked, not quite a baby's bum but not bad.  I was right about the arms though, two hands will be needed to lift the pint glass for a while.
Then I wiped it over with spirit to clean the grease and 'sweat' off prior to painting - - - -  <:( <:( and the surface went tacky again. <:( <:(

Is there no end to the fun when using poly resin!  %%

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 05:08:43 pm »

Silk as in fine woven cloth, works for both Polyester and Epoxy. You're using it to skin an existing structure. All the glass substrates are just that, strands of glass. On toy aircraft wings we've even used patterned or brown paper with epoxys.

Regards  Ian

"As in stockings??"  Ladders are difficult to orientate  :embarrassed:
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Deep Diver

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 05:19:49 pm »

Silk as in stockings?
Hadn't heard that one, didn't know you could use natural fibres. Always thought it was glass fibre or nothing.
I learn something new every day.
Thanks circlip.

Sanding worked, not quite a baby's bum but not bad.  I was right about the arms though, two hands will be needed to lift the pint glass for a while.
Then I wiped it over with spirit to clean the grease and 'sweat' off prior to painting - - - -  <:( <:( and the surface went tacky again. <:( <:(

Is there no end to the fun when using poly resin!  %%

I did see a small model of an X craft that was covered with a stocking, I think the guys name was Tom and he was in the Hanworth club

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.