Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: THis is why I like BIG RC sailing ships HMS Suprise  (Read 31390 times)

Greggy1964

THis is why I like BIG RC sailing ships HMS Suprise
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:18:36 pm »

Just feast your eyes on this baby!

http://www.youtube.com/user/formerparatrooper#p/u/12/CRoFYd-6oTY

She is beautiful in my eyes and something to aspire to

http://www.youtube.com/user/formerparatrooper#p/u/6/D0yh8EwAn0I

Just look at how she tacks through the wind - awsome!

Showing some muscle for the ememy! :o

http://www.youtube.com/user/formerparatrooper#p/u/0/z0uqJWeUP48

dave301bounty

Re: THis is why I like BIG RC sailing ships HMS Suprise
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:57:56 pm »

That is something to Behold. Absolutely first-class .This could easily be a movie shot ,Good Very Good .

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:31:43 pm »

Excellent, but what is the American flag all about on an English ship of war???? <*< <*< <*< ok2 ok2

Greggy1964

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:44:26 pm »

Becuase she's been captured by the colonalists! :-))

If you visit Youtube and look at all this fellows videos he explains O0

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:00:56 pm »

Captured or not she is superb.. :-)) :-))

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 10:07:37 pm »

The Model is an American Kit based on a fibre glass hull
I have the completed model based on H.M.S Hebe,a French Frigate,captured in 1789 and copied by the Admiralty
because of its good seakeeping and speed
By the way H.M.S Surprise is a Fictional vessel but H.M.s Trincomalee is drydocked in the Stockton on Tees area
H.M.S Hebe regularly sails at the Norwich Model Boat club Pond

Regards Donuts

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 03:02:28 am »

Here's a link to the manufacturers.

Steel, Chapman & Hutchinson Ltd

http://www.modelsailingships.com/

:-)

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 09:06:27 am »

This frigate  8)  packed quite a punch.  :o .........................  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carronade.

vintagent

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 11:00:18 am »

I'm no fan of these kinds of ships but what a superb video!

I'd like to know what camera he used and what kind of gimble to move it around like that!

Wonderful stuff. Even my wife and daughter were impressed by the canons and the figures!

Regards,
Vintagent

Greggy1964

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 07:05:52 pm »

I'm not into modern yachts as such but any period ship driven by sails floats my boat!

I know that they produce transport problems but bigger heavier vessels sail through the water in a much more realistic manner.

And yes I agree, this chaps filming skills are very impressive and add greatly to the realism of the subject :-))

Harbottle

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 07:09:09 pm »

As if looking fantastic isn't enough ... she fires cannon as well. Brilliant!

vintagent

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 07:59:37 pm »

On the video, the cannon go BANG!!  but on the test firing they go futt.
Discuss, please.

Vintagent

DanL

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 10:50:15 pm »

DanL here (Lt Dan of the US Brig Syren).  It was great fun sailing with Ray and the Surprise.  The sound of the guns is dubbed in.  I built the gun systems of both ships and there had to be a trade-off between smoke, flash and sound.    Creating high barrel back-pressure with a tight wadding produced a loud bang, but smoke ouput is significantly lower.  The higher backpressure is also less safe in these small thin-walled guns.  For pictures and video purposes, a fairly large black powder charge is used with a loose foam rubber wad.  The foam helps keep the charge dry.  The loose wad and BP produce a big puff of smoke and great flash (night-time firing looks great) but little sound.  Since sound can easily be dubbed in, that's the design direction taken for the guns.

More detail on the gun system construction here (a number of posts on the gun system construction...):
  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1136541

Here's the latest vid of battle between Surprise and Syren:
http://www.youtube.com/user/formerparatrooper#p/u/0/bW4qV8I0duk

barryfoote

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 08:02:38 am »

Another brilliant video. Well done guys.. :-)) :-)) :-))

vintagent

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 09:40:38 am »

I thought that might be the case and why not indeed for the effects on video?  Marvelous stuff anf thanks for showing us.  I found it difficult to stop watching!  So, surprisingly did my wife, daughter and daughter-in-law!   Now that IS a success!

regards,
Vintagent

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 10:37:41 am »

The Model is an American Kit based on a fibre glass hull
I have the completed model based on H.M.S Hebe,a French Frigate,captured in 1789 and copied by the Admiralty
because of its good seakeeping and speed
By the way H.M.S Surprise is a Fictional vessel but H.M.s Trincomalee is drydocked in the Stockton on Tees area
H.M.S Hebe regularly sails at the Norwich Model Boat club Pond

Regards Donuts

HMS Surprise was a real vessel. She was the french built L'Unite launched in 1794 and captured by the British in 1796 when she became HMS Surprise. She is most famous for the cutting out of the HMS Hermione.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 11:07:01 am »

A splendid video with some nice cinemagraphic touches and the sound track well chosen.  The humour in the credits, just the right touch, well done. The choice of big smoke or big bang is correct IMHO but Roger Wilkinson`s King George V manned model gets both. May be a matter of scale I suppose, his sound like a hand gun (revolver) going off and has a big flash and smoke.  More videos please when the Americans whopp some more English ships ( under the Scot John Paul Jones)  {-) %% :embarrassed:
..well can you land on this?

Greggy1964

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 09:53:00 pm »

Our friend has put up another video of a battle between HMS Suprise and the American brig Syren.

Its a joy to watch :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW4qV8I0duk

Paratrooper

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 12:46:02 am »

Shipmates:  I was invited to participate in your thread by a friend who noticed that the ship you were discussing was actually mine.  It is a 1:24 scale model of HMS Surprise (Not a fictional ship at all) from a kit from SC&H in Palo Alto California.  I am extremely pleased with this kit even though I have very limited experience with model ships.

I was asked to tell the thread a little about myself.  I spent 6-1/2 years with the US Army Special Forces 11th Group and I made a number of parachute operations with some SAS and ASAS on several occasions.  My wife and I have lived in UK, Australia, West Africa, Iran, and Austria back in the 70s.  I have been retired from my job as an Architect's Field Representative (Inspector) for 26 years and I am still doing contract labor and consulting work part time along with building and sailing my square rigger.  My wife and I are also activily involved in model railroading but in the summer months sailing takes priority.  We live in south central Kentucky at present. 

I am enjoying the several threads I participate in as well as making videos of Surprise on the high seas.  This is my latest YouTube video of the gun fight between DanL USS Syren and HMS Surprise.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW4qV8I0duk

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 09:52:08 pm »

Hi Guys,After consulting the Navy List I must correct an assumption I made earlier.
The marvellous video we are all discussing shows a Frigate named H.M.S Surprise,however the official H.M.S surprise
was indeed a captured French Corvette re rigged in Bermuda to  a Frigate sail plan,this was done in order to give greater speed
and  effectivly close the range to the enemy .Surprise was armed with short range Carronades by the Admiralty after capture
and although hampered in some respects by this type of armament ,H.M.S Surprise 6th Rate went on to have an eventfull career

Gun deck armament  24 x 32 pounder carronades
Quarter deck armament 8 x 32 pounder carronades
Forecastle armament  4 x long 6 pounder
length of gun deck 126 ft
burthen 579 tons
complement 198
rating 6th rate ( post ship)
for rating purposes the Admiralty counted only carriage guns and not swivel or carronades

Hope this clarifies my earlier post

Admiral Donuts 

Paratrooper

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 12:14:57 am »

Admiral Donuts--I really appreciate you adjusting your course.  Yes, HMS Surprise was a real ship.  I have several really good books about her including Goeff Hunt's book of paintings for the O'Brian books which of course were fictional. 

The best part of all this is, I have managed to sail her in places that cannot be identified as the sea but I have done some deep water lake sailing.  I put her in on Lake Superior near Sault Sainte Marie MI a year ago on our way back from a trip to Minnesota.  We are planning another trip to MN later this year and I hope to engage that elusive brig Syren again.  Lt. Dan is a wiley captain and he has managed to escape several times.  We mean to board and take her as a prize. 

Captain Raymbo

Nordsee

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 05:17:19 pm »

A splendid video with some nice cinemagraphic touches and the sound track well chosen.  The humour in the credits, just the right touch, well done. The choice of big smoke or big bang is correct IMHO but Roger Wilkinson`s King George V manned model gets both. May be a matter of scale I suppose, his sound like a hand gun (revolver) going off and has a big flash and smoke.  More videos please when the Americans whopp some more English ships ( under the Scot John Paul Jones)  {-) %% :embarrassed:
John Paul Jones was a French Welshman, hence Jean Paul Jones. His real name before being Americanised.

Nordsee

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 05:21:44 pm »

He was a French Welshman, real name Jean-Paul Jones. He was a French Privateer ( Pirate) who fought for the Americans because there were better Plunder chances with them.But that is boring History and doesn't fit the Picture of the War of Independence ( which was won by the French Navy and Army), hence the change of name and suchlike.

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 07:17:50 pm »

Captain Raymbo,Sir,thanks for accepting course adjustment and clarification of intentions.
I hope your next meeting with Lt Dan with prove profitable particularly if you attack with the weather guage in your favour
Brigs are nimble things to outsail but a few raking shots into her counter should render Lt Dans sword into your hands

Regards Donuts

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 08:06:46 pm »

If I Were Commander Dan and knew Suprise was was looking for me I think I would re-arm with long 9's and or long 12 pounders if her scantings will take it, and Suprise the Surprise by standing off and using my long guns to make a Sloop  {:-{ or even if I was very lucky a Dum Barge O0  out of her, but for sure there is no-way I would close to half a pistol shot with that weight of broardside waiting for me in any thing less than a 38 or a 44 or better still a 64 gun Liner :-))
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.