Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: THis is why I like BIG RC sailing ships HMS Suprise  (Read 31388 times)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Re: THis is why I like BIG RC sailing ships HMS Suprise
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 08:19:25 pm »

Armed with long guns and plenty of Chain, Grape and Star Shot
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

meyer

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 08:38:40 pm »

He was a French Welshman, real name Jean-Paul Jones. He was a French Privateer ( Pirate) who fought for the Americans because there were better Plunder chances with them.But that is boring History and doesn't fit the Picture of the War of Independence ( which was won by the French Navy and Army), hence the change of name and suchlike.

sorry Nordsee your way out there JPJ was Scottish

John Paul Jones (1747–1792), American Revolutionary War naval hero, often called the “Father of the American Navy,” was born in Kirkbean, Kirkcudbright county, Scotland, on July 6, 1747.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 08:44:11 pm »

Correct Meyer, you just beat me to it. :-))  JOHN Paul  Jones  also had a hand in re-forming the Russian navy.  A good potted biography here http://www.jpj.demon.co.uk/jpjlife.htm
..well can you land on this?

Paratrooper

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 10:30:07 pm »

Actually, almost everyone in the early American Navy were from somewhere else.  John Paul Jones was one of a multitude who reckoned that represntation was needed for any taxation--and shipmates--we need another revolution here now. 

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 11:25:20 am »

Be assured PT that Her Brittanic Majesty's naval reserves  8) will be mobilised to assist the Federal government of our ex colony.  <*<

http://www.hms-trincomalee.co.uk/

At this moment a hand picked  RN crew are intensively training and studying the collected novels of 'Alexander Kent' at a secret bunker  location in Balsover.  %)

JerryTodd

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 03:09:23 pm »

At this moment a hand picked  RN crew are intensively training and studying the collected novels of 'Alexander Kent' at a secret bunker  location in Balsover.  %)

Then we're all doomed - Bolitho is a macaroni twit.

Couldn't you chaps have used Hornblower (written by someone that actually served at sea).

Jerry Todd
My Projects

meyer

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 04:56:28 pm »

I think if I remember correctly, Bolitho is a Cornishman and the writer Douglas Reeman has a fair bit of seatime in on destroyers and MTB/MGBs  during the war.
C  S Forester according to his Biog that during WW2 Forester moved to the United States where he wrote propaganda to encourage that country to join the Allies, no mention of any sea time at all  :o :o

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 06:04:16 pm »

Spot on Meyer
Forester wrote some Superb Yarns   D Reeman (A Kent) still Sails his own boat and it is one of his Boasts that if, in one of his books he says there is a Reef there or a Fresh water spring or stream its there because he's seen it and or tasted the water.
  I have had on two or three orcastions had a chance to test this out and well remember one time the chief mate payed up with a very nice bottle of first class Malt when we found a small fresh water spring that wasn't marked on any chart or in any pilot book
 Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

DanL

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 09:05:00 pm »

Wow, is this an R/C modeling and sailing thread or a cobwebs of trivial history thread?  Oh, no, I get it - it's a PIRATE thread and we be hijacked!

Paratrooper

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 11:53:07 pm »

Wow, is this an R/C modeling and sailing thread or a cobwebs of trivial history thread?  Oh, no, I get it - it's a PIRATE thread and we be hijacked!

You may be right.  We are striking the Union Jack and hoisting the Stars and Stripes and joining your fleet.   

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 01:08:10 am »

Here's your flagship  8) in Charlestown Boston. (USN current list - fully crewed and operational) She never lost a battle.  ;)
She's the oldest fully commissioned naval ship in the world.  :o

http://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org/

Paratrooper

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 03:19:36 am »

Here's your flagship  8) in Charlestown Boston. (USN current list - fully crewed and operational) She never lost a battle.  ;)

Aye--and Jerry Todd is building a scale model of this very ship.  Once he has that ready I want to try to get over east and sail with him.  We will have our own TALL SHIPS reunion. 

barryfoote

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 07:50:58 am »

i am sorry, but HMS Victory is the oldest commissioned ship in the world. Her keel being laid down in 1759.....She remains a flag ship today..

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 09:46:53 am »

Maybe that should read " oldest commissioned ship AFLOAT "  (Constitution) {:-{
..well can you land on this?

JerryTodd

Constellation
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2010, 03:41:49 pm »

Aye--and Jerry Todd is building a scale model of this very ship.  Once he has that ready I want to try to get over east and sail with him.  We will have our own TALL SHIPS reunion. 

Actually, I'm doing the 1854 sloop-of-war Constellation in 1:36th.

On the drawing board in 1:35th is the H.M.S. Macedonian

Both models will compare very closely in size to the 1:24th scale Surprise.

The third boat on the board is the Baltimore Clipper Schooner Pride of Baltimore in 1:24th.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 03:54:24 pm »

%) Our beloved Victory.................. a Frigate  ;D  :}

Paratrooper

Re: Constellation
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 05:11:22 pm »

Actually, I'm doing the 1854 sloop-of-war Constellation in 1:36th.

Jerry, my apolgies, I got this wrong.  

Paratrooper

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 05:16:50 pm »

%) Our beloved Victory.................. a Frigate  ;D  :}

HMS Victory, a first rate ship of the line--a FRIGATE?  I may not understand rigging after all. 

JerryTodd

HMS Killingworth
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 05:34:17 pm »

Don't forget your own Brian Clark's 1:24th brig Killingworth right here on Model Boat Mayhem!

Has anyone heard from Brian lately?

Paratrooper

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2010, 01:02:40 am »

i am sorry, but HMS Victory is the oldest commissioned ship in the world. Her keel being laid down in 1759.....She remains a flag ship today..

I really have to smile--after reading a very well done history of Victory, I found that she contains about 20% of the original materials she was built with.  It reminds me of a story my dad told me when I was quite young.  He had a hammer that he told me belonged to his dad, it was all original, except that the handle had been replaced four time, his dad had replaced the head once, and he had installed a new head on it back in the 20s.  Ah yes, restorations are indeed wonderful. 

The Constitution however has much more of her original materials intact, she is still afloat and she is turned twice a year because of the effects of the sun.  We Americans love our antiques as well even if much of it came from England when we shifted out. 

Tis a great day for models--they do not cost nearly as much to maintain as one of the real ones. 

Tugwilson

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 06:47:11 am »

very impressive, I'm trying to aspire to uphold the colonial tradition of modelling excellence with my effort at a 1:40 Surprise.
It’s maiden voyage was not as accomplished as I would have wished
Tugwilson

barryfoote

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 08:26:36 am »

HMS Victory, a first rate ship of the line--a FRIGATE?  I may not understand rigging after all. 

I think that was meant as a little joke!!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

PMK

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 08:48:50 am »

Gents, you're all gonna kick me for deviating from such a fine thread, but....

Take a butcher's at Jerry Todd's homepages. Click the WWW icon just beneath his avatar, then click "My Site", followed by "Damn Yankee Workshop". When you arrive, click "Civil War Field Desk".
Or maybe easier, just click here...

http://todd.mainecav.org/dyws/fielddesk.html

Look at those gorgeous dovetails.
Now is that nice, or is that nice?

Okay, okay - I'm done.

Paratrooper

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 04:07:25 pm »

I think that was meant as a little joke!!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

I appreciate this, I really did not know whether the Victory would be referred to as a frigate.  I am relatively new to this hobby and the only reference I have seen is that frigates were the cruiser of the day, while the larger 1st & 2nd rates were considered battle ships but not called that of course.  I think my model of Surprise would be considered a 5th rate because it is really smaller than Diana which was called a frigate as well.  Thanks for the response, I am still learning. 

Paratrooper

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 04:09:00 pm »

very impressive, I'm trying to aspire to uphold the colonial tradition of modelling excellence with my effort at a 1:40 Surprise.
It’s maiden voyage was not as accomplished as I would have wished
Tugwilson

Tug--do you have any photos of your ship on the water?  I realize it is somewhat smaller than mine but I would enjoy seeing how a smaller vessel looks on the water. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.