Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro Magic Advice  (Read 5781 times)

Mersey Trainz

Micro Magic Advice
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:31:10 am »

As a Newbie to "Model Yachting" I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right Direction.

About 4 years ago I bought a "Ripmax - Sea Lite" Yacht.  Happy with my purchase, off I went to my local model boating lake for an afternoon of sailing.  What a mistake, it wasn't long before I found that the yacht I thought would give me hours of pleasure was unable to sail properly and was a complete waste of time and money.  It has now spent 4 years in my loft un-loved.  After research on the internet I could see that there where many other people who had the same problem.

Recently the urge to get involved in Model Yachting has struck again.  After further Investigation on the internet I found that a better option would have been to have purchased a "Micro Magic" instead, this I now intent to do.  I would be grateful if someone could answer a few questions.

Do I need to purchase the Jib Trim servo, what are its benefits?  I believe this is a no no for competition. 

After gluing the deck to the hull is there enough room to service/replace the battery, the Sail and Rudder Servos, and including the Jib Trim Servo and receiver etc????  Viewing the drawing it would appear that you might have trouble replacing the Jib Trim Servo as there doesn’t seem to be much room to get your hand(s) in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Does anyone have a copy of the manual for the "Hitec Zebra 3 Channel RC System Including 2 Servos 40Mhz" that I may have to for research?

Is there any member in the North West, i.e. the Wirral / Merseyside who would be willing to guide me through the building process.

Best Regards

Mersey Trainz (Steve)

Billyruffian

Re: Micro Magic Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:45:38 pm »

I also started out yacht racing with the Micro Magic - and still do becasue they are so easy to transport.  Mine was before the jib servo and I don't think it necessary.

There has been so much development in putting these little beauties together that I would recomment you take a look at the Micro Magic forum.  There are building tips, tuning tips - in fact everything to get you up and racing and you will find many people in your area racing these things.

Good luck with the build - you won't regret it.

Cyril

Robert Davies

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 08:58:30 pm »

Is there any member in the North West, i.e. the Wirral / Merseyside who would be willing to guide me through the building process.

I understand there's quite a following for MicroMagics on the Hoylake Boating Lake beside the LifeBoat Station. It maybe worth getting in touch with the Hoylake club?

http://hoylakemodelboatclub.com/default.aspx

-Rob

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 02:17:03 am »

I have only seen good reports of the MicroMagic on this and other forums.
The jib trim is a nice to have but not really needed. And if you are new to sailing it only complicates things.
Without the jib trim servo you will only need to use 2 channels.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Mersey Trainz

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 07:50:23 am »

Thank you all for your comments, I will start building mine in about a month.

Best Regards

Steve

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 08:22:26 pm »

Brilliant little boats, I sold mine because no one else in my area would build one, but a lovely boat. Up market sails available as well see

www.windpowersails.8m.com

Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.