Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What makes a scale tug?  (Read 6962 times)

poll

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What makes a scale tug?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 09:25:35 pm »

Hi Mike,  Thanks,   had some good fun with this one.  The hull started at 7.5in beam with it been in the water it's grown up to 11.5in now, Lol

John

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 10:55:38 pm »

hi all as some may know i do a little towing and to my knowledge no club worth there salt would ever turn competitors away cos the tug was not to scale we just don't have the luxury of too many modelers  :-))  also when judges do there stuff they don't look for exact scale towing you just could not achieve this at the size we are sailing. you just don't want to see the tug or ship bouncing around the lake at a total unreal manner.  the idea is to have fun and do something other than just sail around a pond

Steve

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 05:55:59 pm »

Not yet, still trying to sink the beastie.
Will let you know if I can find my fishing scales..
Paul

Hi Hazmat, Would there be any chance of seeing some photo's of your Carrousel.

John

hazmat

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 10:23:59 pm »

Poll, Pics coming up, just got to finish glazing and the cat won't sit still long enough for the glue to set.
I should point out that compared to your builds it'll look like something the ships cat would have made!

zz56.
Fishing scales found, and now I've changed the props, with just the schottel running the scales register 4lbs. With the main drive running too, 11lbs.
BUT, it wasn't exactly a scientific test as I was on my own and the dog kept jumping in (much to the consternation of the Canada geese).

The dawg is part collie, part springer, and part fish! Trained to rescue boats (even them that don't need it.)

Paul

ZZ56

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 10:57:54 pm »

That's the 65mm 'large' Graupner drive, is it?  Four pounds is quite a bit.   8)

hazmat

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2010, 12:51:59 pm »

Correct drive train, but changed the prop to brass and my brainy friend re-did the Kort nozzle in resin to fit.
That's the nice thing we found about graupner and marx drives.
You can do so much with them (provided you have a clever clogs as a friend that is ).O0
We've also had to beef up the azimuth servo {:-{.
Problem is now whether to 'cage' the prop to protect the plastic gear train.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.