Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another re-fit.... this time, with an American feel.  (Read 10311 times)

Boatswain

Another re-fit.... this time, with an American feel.
« on: May 30, 2010, 04:29:01 am »

Well folks, I'm not sure how popular these little Seaport Tugs are anymore, but this forum inspired me to try my hand at it.  This is my very first attempt at rc boats, let alone kitbashing/ scratch building.  It didn't take me 15 minutes to tear the tug down and wipe the deck clean of all fittings minus the bits.  The tug's superstructure will be loosely modeled after the American railroad tug Cornell.  This is the classic American harbor or "assist" tug look.  The superstructure will be scratchbuilt from styrene, but most detail pieces will be re-used components from the Seaport.  Whistles, radar, bits, funnels, running lights, spot lights, and the forward winch will be used in the completed product.  I will keep the running gear as-is for the time being.  Once I have a better understanding of the electronics, I may choose to replace them.  We'll see.  I will post photos soon.

Damien

Re: Another re-fit.... this time, with an American feel.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 01:43:42 am »

Looking forward to 5the Pic's keep us updated please.

Boatswain

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 04:34:53 pm »

Well, the "Cheryl Darlene" is nearing completion and really just lacks a few details.  Posted below, are photos right after her first little operational trial in the tub.  I hope you enjoy!

The name comes from my mother.  My grandfather, a WW2 US Coast Guard veteran and retired Texaco Island dock foreman, liked the name of the tug in the movie, On the Waterfront (Cheryl Anne).  He liked the name so much that it was the inspiriation for my mother's name.  

The "diamond s" sign on the stack signifies the Sabine Towing and Transportation Co. from Port Arthur, Texas (my home town).    

Please keep in mind the fact that this is my very first attempt at this kind of thing.

Boatswain

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 04:53:50 pm »

I scratchbuilt the entire superstructure from the deck up.  The deck was stripped bare, with the exception of the bits.  The funnels (stacks) were cemented together and dressed with scratchbuilt signage.  The pilot house detail is pretty bare, but the whole helm console from the original has been retained and modified.  I cut it into three pieces.  The helm is placed properly and the two pieces from either side have been placed at the corners, along the aft bulkhead of the pilot house.  They are to represent control stations for reverse moves close in to other vessels.  The original radar array is being painted to replicate a Furuno unit and will be fitted shortly.  Both spot lights and whistles have been painted "brass" and installed.  "Portholes" and detailing around the edges of the superstructure doors will be added as well as scale railing for the "Texas" deck.  The winch on the stern will be left un-modified. 

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 05:31:56 pm »

Looking good so far.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 11:22:08 am »

Yes I like the vintage American look.  :-)) Keep the pictures coming. You have inspired me to get on with my conversion, Army ST or maybe a variation of that theme.
..well can you land on this?

Boatswain

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 02:26:14 am »

Well, now, I need to do something to accent the doors on the superstructure.  That's right, there are doors!  They are hard to see because of the paint.  I was thinking of blackening the edges to make it stand out more.  I will also be adding "portholes" as well.  What really vexes me, is what I will do for railing around the upper deck.  Does anyone have any ideas for simple railings?  Thanks.

tugs46

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 02:37:10 am »

Love it!!!! :-)) :-))

Boatswain

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 02:52:49 am »

True sea-trials will take place tomorrow or Monday.  I will post photos. 

Boatswain

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 05:14:41 am »

Well, the weather has been a pain here and has delayed the "Cheryl Darlene's" trials.  I was able to get her into the RC pool and then into the Mystic River to do a bit of work.  Photos below!  I hope you enjoy.  There's still a bit of work to do, though.

barryfoote

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 08:40:17 am »

Brilliant and a good little worker too!  :-)) :-))

Boatswain

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 04:12:47 am »

Thank you!  I still have more detail work to do.  I need to get the railing and stanchions together and get them installed.  I want to get rid of the stock bow fenders and replace them with a proper pudding.  I also need some scale tires as well.  I will continue to post updates as I make more progress. 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 07:30:53 am »

Excellent! I didn't realize it was a Seaport tug at first.  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 04:54:36 pm »

Looks like a very impressive conversion! The American-style superstructure completely changes the look of the tug.

You have some interesting full-size ships in your "boating lake" - what's the one with the gilt scrollwork and figurehead?

ralphhager

• Ralph1937
  • Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 07:43:57 pm »

Boatswain:    Your first post « on: May 30, 2010, 04:29:01 AM »  "I will keep the running gear as-is for the time being.  Once I have a better understanding of the electronics, I may choose to replace them.  We'll see.  I will post photos soon." 

Your boat look great so far.  Will you be doing a mod on the running gear & upgrading the motor?      Ralph :-)

Mr Andy

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 11:02:55 pm »

I'd like another Seaport boat the one pictured look's ever so good for a first timer, hope your proud of your efforts? You should be.

All the best, Andy.  :-) ok2

Boatswain

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 01:51:42 am »

Looks like a very impressive conversion! The American-style superstructure completely changes the look of the tug.

You have some interesting full-size ships in your "boating lake" - what's the one with the gilt scrollwork and figurehead?

Thank you very much!  The ship you are asking about is the full rigged training ship Joseph Conrad and is located at the museum I work at.  Here is a description from the Mystic Seaport website.

The veteran training ship Joseph Conrad sailed under three flags before mooring permanently at Mystic Seaport in 1947.

Built in Copenhagen in 1882 and named Georg Stage as a memorial to the young son of Frederik Stage, a prominent ship owner, the 111-foot vessel, one of the smallest full-rigged ships built in modern times, was designed to accommodate eighty boys in training for the Danish merchant service. From her launching until her sale in 1934, more than 4,000 cadets sailed in her for six-month training courses in the Baltic and North seas. Run down by a British freighter in 1905, the Georg Stage sank, taking twenty-two young men with her. However, she was raised and repaired and soon resumed her career.

Retired after 52 years, the vessel was about to be broken up when Alan Villiers bought her in 1934. Under the British flag, and renamed the Joseph Conrad, Captain Villiers took her on a 58,000-mile voyage around the world that lasted more than two years. Once again boys were her crew--a nucleus of older teenagers from big four-masted barks, officers from the Cape Horn trade, eight American cadets and eight British, with a sprinkling of Australians and New Zealanders.

In 1936 George Huntington Hartford bought her, added a modern engine, and used her for three years as a private yacht. Under his ownership, the Conrad was matched against the Seven Seas in a square-rigged ship race from the United States to Bermuda and back, each winning one leg. In 1939, the Conrad was transferred by Hartford to the U.S. Maritime Commission and continued in service as an American training ship until 1945. After a two-year lay-up she became, by act of Congress, the property of Mystic Seaport.

Boatswain

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 02:02:46 am »

Thank you to all who have complimented my little tug!  I am pretty picky, which is very common of boatswains.  I think she can use some more work (details) and I may still change out the running gear.  She will be a work in progress for a bit longer.  I want to build a barge for her to tend and one of these days, I may venture as far as scratchbuilding one of my favorite ships.  I'd like to give the USS San Pablo from The Sand Pebbles a try!  Call me crazy!  I am also considering another Seaport conversion.  I'll have to give it some thought.  One thing is for sure, I wont even attempt a model of my old USCG ship, Eagle!  I'd never do her justice. 

Boatswain

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 11:27:42 pm »

Additional detail parts are on their way from the UK as we speak.  Railing, stanchions, a nice stern bit, and a different funnel will be installed shortly after arrival.  I'll keep picking away at it, but I don't want to get too carried away. 

karls

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 01:15:29 pm »

This is a very nice looking tug keep up the mods. I can now see me getting one of these..nice one
atb karl

Boatswain

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 09:18:18 pm »

Here are the latest photos.  I have added trim around the decks/roof of the deckhouse and pilothouse, as well as life rafts, a radar array, "portholes", "hatches",and tires.  

Damien

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 11:38:54 pm »

Looking real good :-)) :-))

proteque

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 03:40:08 pm »

Wow. a very good first build. The way it looks now it kinda reminds me of the Aquacraft Atlantic Tug boat :)

jackhill

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 08:49:12 pm »

Looks great.  I am building one of these too and hope it turns out as well.  Thanks for sharing  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.