Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another newbie from the US  (Read 1789 times)

Boatswain

Another newbie from the US
« on: May 30, 2010, 05:00:17 am »

Hello there!  I'm happy to have stumbled upon this group, and yes, I have my sea legs!  I am a former US Coast Guard Boatswain's Mate with just over 12 years of service.  My last active duty billet was aboard the Barque Eagle, where I served as a Boatswain's Mate of the Watch, Navigator of the Watch (quartermaster), helmsman, small boat Coxswain, and Foremast Top Captain.  I currently work at Mystic Seaport in Mystic, Connecticut, which is home to historic vessels such as Charles W. Morgan and the steam ferry Sabino.  I am trying my hand at a Seaport tug as we speak.  I will post photos soon on my thread in the Seaport section. 

Fair winds, and royals all the way!

R. Patterson

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Another newbie from the US
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 06:39:39 am »

Welcome aboard Boatswain!

The Seaport tug is a great place to start RC model boating!
 We look forward to your photos.

Regards, 
  Martin    :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 07:33:27 pm »

Welcome Aboard Boats ,Eagle is one of the few Big square riggers I haven't seen or been on,, This Forum is a real mad house and sanity is not required in fact at tines it can be a hinderance at times
Freebooter %%
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 12:27:25 am »

Welcome aboard.

Mystic Seaport? There used to be a very big modelling company called Mystic Seaport, any connection?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Boatswain

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 01:38:50 am »

Welcome aboard.

Mystic Seaport? There used to be a very big modelling company called Mystic Seaport, any connection?

Unfortunately, no.  Mystic Seaport is our nation's premier maritime museum (some may argue this, but I don't).  It is a 17 acre 19th century seaport with just about anything you could think of, including a VERY busy shipyard, chandlerey, sail loft, rope walk, shipsmith, printing press, and MUCH more!  The collection includes over 500 vintage historic vessels, including the very last wooden whaling ship in the world. 

Boatswain

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 01:59:20 am »

Welcome Aboard Boats ,Eagle is one of the few Big square riggers I haven't seen or been on,, This Forum is a real mad house and sanity is not required in fact at tines it can be a hinderance at times
Freebooter %%

Well, if you'd ever need information on Eagle, I can provide it with you.  I was intimately involved with her!  Seriously, I have done quite extensive research on her German Navy history and have spoken with several former German crewmembers and cadets.  As a boatswain stationed aboard, you learn just about everything about her, even a little bit of the "Snipe's" equipment too! 

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 11:35:09 am »

At a later date We'll Have to have some correspondence about Eagle, as I remember she had one or two odd ways of doing things, I dis remember what they were at the moment ,that was donkeys years ago,. As for me I'm ex grey funnel line ---Gunnery & Submarines ( Pre "A" Boats)---Been fishing in the North Atlantic & Arctic (Greenland ,Iceland Jan Mayen & Svalbard/Spitsbergen) Whaling and Exploring in the South Atlantic and Antarctic (South Georgia, South Orkney's Weddell sea) spent over 30 years doing Marine survey and light salvage work around the world, as well as Tramping on various lines such as Hungry Hogarth's , Chapmans, John I Jacobs, Atlantic Steam Navigation ...The list is endless .Done 6 passages around the Horn under Sail (5 in square riggers) I Hold a Full Masters ticket under sail and also served my time as Bos'n
  Most of the models I build are sail and as I said Welcome to the Mad House
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.