Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyring penknives  (Read 9283 times)

Dueller

Re: Keyring penknives
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 07:28:43 pm »

" I understand it is now illegal to sell grey squirrels,

You can catch and sell grey squirrels but you cannot release them back into the wild unless you have a licence (you used to have to kill them but they have changed the law). They are very tasty and you can buy traps on ebay.

It is also illegal to release American red clawed crayfish back into the wild (also very tasty). You can catch them in rivers on a single line if you have a rod licence, many anglers catch them by accident, but if you want to use a crayfish "pot" (available from tackle shops) you have to have a (free) licence from the environment agency.

If it moves, eat it, but don't tell Wendy.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 07:44:41 pm »

I always try to remember to put my keyring knife into the hold luggage when flying. No problem then.

Colin

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 09:38:19 pm »

A German friend of mine gave me a Muntser cheese once when we were over there. It had come out of his fridge and I, being English and in complete ignorance accepted it gracefully.  He smiled a lot as he helped me pack it, it was a little whiffy but he said they were like that but that I would enjoy it.
We got to the airport check in, by this time my baggage was so high it could have flown home on it's own. He was grinning from ear to ear, the Swiss check in girl jokingly said " your aftershave aint cutting it Mr C".  My Deutsche mate was almost apoplectic at this point, I called him a bast**d, we all said our goodbye's etc and swmbo and me boarded the plane.
As we came through customs in UK I saw a large sign telling me "no soft cheeses" among the other forbidden items.
The bag was by this time whistling and looked decidedly swollen to my eyes and I reckoned anyone opening that zip would pay dearly.... along with the rest of the customs staff and passengers... this was indeed a 'dirty bomb'!
I walked past a custom official, as I passed, probably looking guilty as sin, I saw his head swing round and he fixed me with his gaze. Amazingly he didn't stop me to search my baggage.... I wonder why. %)
To this day, I believe that bloke knew exactly what I'd got in there but I expect he had come across this before and once he had experienced the process of confiscation he had probably vowed never to stop anyone with a bag smelling that bad. {-)
As a sub note, despite the filthy disgusting odour, I was determined to taste this 'thing' just so I could honestly say I had done so.... it was absolutely foul, it tasted exactly like it smelled.

If the Luftwaffe had loaded this cheese into their 500kg bombs and dropped them on London it would have been game over for us as we would have deserted in droves to the counrtyside... upwind of London!!

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 10:05:36 pm »

BTW,  re the shotgun killings in todays awful news , kind of makes the penknife carrying citizen arrest all seem a little distant and pathetic.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 10:26:12 pm »

Just before I retired I was flying out to West Africa to help out a new Master and show him some of the tricks of the trade (Marine Survey Work) the Catering Super ask me if i minded hand carring out a small parcel of ships stores intransit On asking what the stores were he said it was a full 21 piece set of knives and cleavers for use in the ships galley To make a long story short I carried them through 5 airports (Incluting Heathrow Paris) and because I had a docket saying ships stores in transit no body said a word
 and some of those knives were like small swords.....
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 11:02:56 pm »

BTW,  re the shotgun killings in today's awful news , kind of makes the penknife carrying citizen arrest all seem a little distant and pathetic.

Your right Sheerline. It's not often I shocked but I was today.  :((
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Nordsee

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 08:52:28 pm »

Martin
Reading the whole article the knife is described by the police as a lock-knife
It is against the law to carry a knife which has the means to lock the blade
in an open position

Yours aye

Ned
All Clasp and pen knives have an "Over Centre" action which locks the blade in the open position. If they didn't then the blade would close when used, causing injury. The Law is stupid. I carried a pocket knife every day for nearly 40 years on the Building Sites here, and the blade on my knife was 4 inches long, and razor sharp. Ruler in right hand pocket, pencil behind my ear, knife in my left pocket, to sharpen pencil, cut trimming and whatever. Every Chippy in Cermany and Roofers too, have such a knife.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:06 am »

A lock knife usually has a lever that needs to be depressed to release the blade to enable it to be folded, "ordinary" penknives can be folded by just pushing on the blunt side of the blade.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

steamboatmodel

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 04:02:12 pm »

Over here the General Rule is 4" and not able to open one handed.
KNIVES
The main restrictions on the types of knives in Canada are listed in Section III of Bill C68, which refers to
"prohibited weapons".
“Prohibited weapon" means:
(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure
applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife
This regulation bans switchblades and knives that you can flip open, i.e. by swinging/snapping the knife in
a circular motion. One-handed opening knives via holes in the blade, disks, studs etc., are not illegal.
There are no federal laws concerning the lengths of knives allowed. However there are many informal
"blade length rules" in Canada. These vary from 3" to 4" for folding knives in various areas around the
country, depending on what differentiates a pocket-knife from a fighting knife to the police. There are no
federal laws about knife materials, as well there are no formal laws on serrations, or dual edged blades.
http://www.theatreontario.org/theatresafety/downloads/v_firearms-blades.pdf
There are a number of places (Mostly Amusement Parts) that prohibit entry with any edged implement, you have to go through metal detectors. They also prohibit outside food or drink.
Regards,
Gerald.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 05:09:15 pm »

I have a knife on a keyring with a 25mm blade, it was taken from me when I went on the London Eye and returned to me as soon as I got off.
Alan

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 06:04:15 pm »

I have a knife on a keyring with a 25mm blade, it was taken from me when I went on the London Eye and returned to me as soon as I got off.
Alan
That's how they keep their 100% record.  The London Eye has NEVER been hijacked.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.