Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Caesar  (Read 6689 times)

Captain Povey

HMS Caesar
« on: June 01, 2010, 04:43:25 pm »

Hi All, Well I finally got her finished and she has had a successful maiden voyage. :-)) I do have a question however. Should the name be displayed? If so where? and was it brass on wood?  {:-{Cheers Graham

jonny shoreboy

Re: HMS Caesar
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:53:05 pm »

Wow! That's seriously cool.  :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 08:25:59 pm »

HMS Magnificent had one name on the stern.

Havent managed to track down where else.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

victorian

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:27:32 pm »

Very difficult question this. In my model of Mars I put the name on the stern as in the Magnificent photo using Scale Link brass letters. Later I noticed in the PRO picture of Mars at Spithead in August 1897 that the name appears on the Admiral's gallery on what appear to be square boards. Of course this might be a temporary arrangement for the Jubilee review. This is the only other picture showing the name that I've come across.

A very nice looking model BTW. We must get together with this Victorian fleet and re-create the review. I've got a plan showing the arrangement of the ships!

Captain Povey

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:11:15 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys, especially the pictures that I had not seen before. Victorian, I think a fleet review would be fantastic.  A plan of he fleet sounds intriguing. I had hoped to be at Wickstead this year but other things got in the way. Cheers Graham.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:14:51 pm »

Warships of my days had the name in block raised letters
painted red on either side of the sterm
Ships Crest in the Bridge Screen Centre and
a polished wooden board with brass raised block letters
which was placed  on a fitting on a bulkhead at the top of
the brow or gangway.

Don't go back as far as Caesar though

Yours Aye

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

victorian

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:05:51 pm »

I've put the Spithead chart here in 3 sections at hi-res.  

Of course this would not be technically accurate because Caesar wasn't ready in June 1897 so she was not at Spithead (likewise Hannibal). But hey, we are doing this in 1/96th scale, and that's not very realistic either.

All we need now is a 1/96 scale Turbinia and I've been thinking about that!

As an alternative venue, many of the ships were at Killary on Sunday, October 8th, 1899 but I haven't checked specifically for Caesar. (Pelorus is the little cruiser in the foreground).

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 11:26:57 pm »

He Victorian, please use Mayhem "Additional Options... - Attach: or  "• Add image to post"   :-))

( The image host you are currently using is showing to some users as having a virus - Photos on previous post copied to the Mayhem server - Admin)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Captain Povey

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:52:00 am »

Thanks for replying Netleyned. All information gratefully received as it all adds to my sparse knowledge of these things. Thanks for the Spithead review plan Victorian. Once again I had no idea that such things were available your research must be extensive. Cheers Graham.

Geoff

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 01:51:19 pm »

Love the model, it is similar to my own Canopus. I wonder if there are enought people who have models of pre-dreadnoughts in 1/96 to arrange a big get together. We could do fleet manouvers!

As a thought do you plan to have a smoke generator installed as this would add considerably to the effect. I have published plans on the warships underway web site under the "how to section"(Canopus is in gallery 29 I think).

On Canopus I have the name in raised brass letters on the sternwalk which seems to work well but I agree its a little difficult to be specific as I think they had various boards which were movable dependant upon the captains whim.

Great model & I hope you have many years of enjoyment sailing her.

Geoff

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 05:31:11 pm »

Hi Geof!

Fleet manouvres for a large same-scale fleet sound great. I'd love to see such a thing - as long as Tryon isn't in charge of directions!  %%

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

victorian

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 09:36:17 pm »

Dreadnought72

Tryon won't be a problem unless someone has a 1/96th working model of Victoria. There isn't one - is there?

I would certainly be up for such a gathering with Mars and the two cruisers Pelorus and Niobe. A calm day would be needed and in my experience fleet manouvres are quite difficult!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 09:40:39 pm »

I know it's been mentioned before but the wreck orf the Victoria is believed to be the only one known where the ship is embedded vertically in the seabed.  Quite extraordinary and believed to be due to the weight of the fore turret pulling the ship down.

http://www.oz.net/~markhow/pre-dred/victoria.htm

Colin

victorian

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 09:49:17 pm »

I met a man at the Leamington show who had actually stood on the stern of Victoria. That's right, actually stood on the wreck! He said it is deteriorating very fast and has been heavily scavenged by locals, one of whom has artifacts from Tryon's cabin in his office in Beirut.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 10:16:27 pm »

That's very interesting indeed. The ability of the environment to 'recycle' even substantial items like  battleships is not to be underestimated. I read recently that if the human race was suddenly to expire overnight, within 50,000 years there would be virtually no trace that it had ever existed and 50,000 years is an eyeblink in terms of geological time. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Colin

Geoff

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 01:48:08 pm »

There seems to be a reasonable level of interest in fleet manouvers, which I think would be good fun, not least with the opportunity to meet a number of like minded individuals with the same interest.

My home base is Southend in Essex but I suspect we would need a more central location to make this viable.

Where does everyone else live/sail?

These events rarely happen but maybe if we combined it with a national show there would be multiple reasons to go. What about Child Beale on the M4, they have a couple of shows a year.

Any suggestions?

Geoff

victorian

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 10:28:16 am »

Child Beale is about 2 Hrs for me (Northampton). It would need to be somewhere with no risk of speedboats, large lifeboats, etc., etc. as we are likely to do enough damage to each other as it is with these manouvres! Turbinias excepted.

P.S. Here's some pics of Niobe (1898), very slowly emerging from a 10yr project.

Bowwave

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 11:29:30 am »

Hi Victorian the armoured cruiser is one of my favorite types of warships. Your Niobe looks superb on and off the water.  I am half way through construction of the armoured cruiser Rurik 2 but all that was put on hold some years back.  One day I hope to continue the build  and  seeing your Niobe on the water shows me what I am missing.  Are the funnels made from brass ?  What drawings are you using?
A photo of the armoured cruiser Rurik post 1917 re-fit

Bowwave   :-)) :-)) :-))

victorian

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 08:01:51 pm »

Hi Bowwave and thanks for the kind comments. I hope Capt Povey won't mind us hijacking the thread for a moment. The funnels are thin wall brass tube from Eileen's Emporium - they have most sizes in 1mm steps - although slightly heavy I prefer brass because it doesn't have the ripples that sometimes show up in plastic tube after painting.

I have the official admiralty drawings courtesy of a Canadian contact (Niobe is often credited as the first ship in the Canadian Navy, in 1910, and this is their centenary year). The drawings are quite hard to follow and i've had to put right oh so many mistakes due to not studying the the drawings and the photos together! Even then there are many puzzling questions that have been partly answered by studying Vickers' suberb model of sister ship Ampthritite in store but viewable at Barrow museum.

Of course Rurik 2 was also built by Vickers and is a fantastic choice of model, and quite big in 1/96th! I wonder if there's a model of her at Barrow? I didn't notice one, but a phone call to the very helpful staff would find out.

I've added a couple more photos taken by my nephew Jonathan earlier today.

Captain Povey

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 11:26:49 am »

Hi Victorian, Please do not worry about hijacking the thread its all fascinating stuff, Sorry I have not been able to contribute more or respond but I have been out of contact for a while due to work commitments. I would certainly be interested in a fleet gathering. As I am based in a place often described as in the middle of nowhere just about anywhere is acceptable. My main problem at the moment is transport as the Caesar + the Scout Class Cruiser are not the easiest of models to move around and I am seriously considering getting a van to do it. Cheers, Graham.

Geoff

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 01:47:02 pm »

Child Beale is quite a good site there is a medium sized lake, where most of the show stuff is, and has all round access and a much larger lake with good access. Typically there is a rescue dingy so any strandings should not be a problem.

If we were to schedule some definate attendees I'm sure we could arrange for a timed sailing slot to do manouvers, they are very friendly at Child Beale and its always a good venue. There is a wildlife park and decent restraunt as well so something to entertain the family members as well.

I haven't checked the CB web site but the shows are usually in the spring and fall.

I can bring Canopus 1899 in Victorian livery and Lord Nelson 1908 in grey.

Hope this may encourage some people to attend.

Geoff

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 01:57:42 pm »

I would imagine that Beale Park would very much welcome something like this. I didn't attend the last one but the prospect of seeing Queen Viictoria's finest parading round the lake would certainly be a big incentive to come to the next one.

Colin

colin-d

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 02:11:20 pm »

once i have finished my HMS Inflexible (1890) i wouldnt mind taking part in such a gathering.

Bowwave

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 08:08:12 pm »

Hi Victorian   Yes a superb 1:48 scale model of Rurik 2 does exist but in one of the most unlightly places imaginable .The basement of a hospital.   The model is one of two that were made. One for the   Imperial Russian Navy the other for Vickers. They are identical in every way but the St.Petersburg model is a little worse for ware. It was credited  as being the ultimate   in armoured cruiser design,   a design a direct result of the Russo-Japanese war.  Great idea on the meeting for ships of the Victorian Navy !
Bowwave :-))

marmoi

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 03:30:12 pm »

Count me in for a fleet review. I can Bring HMS Kent and HMS Dreadnought although I don't think HMS Velox will be finished in time.

Mark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.