Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Slipway 1:72 Puffer  (Read 9679 times)

wideawake

Model Slipway 1:72 Puffer
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:36:46 pm »

Hi folks

While I was at Wicksteed a certain telepathic salesperson took one look at me and declared that my next model ought to be the 1:72 Puffer!     As I'd been thinkling that I should build something small enough to work on while I'm actually away from the workshop boating this summer, she was spot on and, having been beguiled by the model built by the lady herself,  I parted with money in exchange for the kit.    I did suggest that next time she should have a fortune telling booth next to the sales stand offering palm readings to help visitors select their next project  :-)

This will be the first time I've built anything using styrene sheet and also the first time I've worked on anything this tiny.    My last model was the almost completed Colin Archer that I was sailing at Wicksteed!   I'll no doubt be asking questions as I go along.

The first two are these.   First, the printed lines on the styrene sheets are of significant width.    Is the convention to trim to the middle of the line or the inner or outer edge?   Second, the stanchions.   Did puffers really have their rails at nearly head height or are the provided ones over scale?    At 1:72 a man would be about 1 inch high and the stanchions are almost that high.   I'd have assumed the top rail would be at around waist height and thus about 1/2 inch high.

Any thoughts welcome.

Guy

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Model Slipway 1:72 Puffer
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:56:05 pm »

Guy
1. Cut straight down the middle of the lines.
2. Just checked the AutoCAD file and the stanchions are drawn at approx 17mm high. If they are cast too big then you could obtain some 5/8" brass ones (like I used on the original) from Squires.
FLJ

wideawake

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:33:40 pm »

Guy
1. Cut straight down the middle of the lines.
2. Just checked the AutoCAD file and the stanchions are drawn at approx 17mm high. If they are cast too big then you could obtain some 5/8" brass ones (like I used on the original) from Squires.
FLJ

Thanks FLJ.  I did wonder whether to pm you rather than starting a thread as I noticed that you'd drawn up the original.   17mm equates to approx 4 feet so I guess that's correct.   Yes I did wonder about replacing the white metal stanchions with brass ones as they do look a bit on the chunky side.   

I shall do my best to cut down the centre of the lines!  As I said, this plastic card construction caper is a bit out of my comfort zone ATM.

BTW I trust the finger is still on the mend.

Cheers

Guy

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 09:23:53 am »

Guy
http://www.squirestools.com/10-19b.pdf Page 341 Cat # C111 will do you nicely.
BTW I trust the finger is still on the mend.
Whoever thought that the words "Cocodamol" and "painkiller" should exist together on the same packet was 'avin' a larf............... I've been downing the b%^&*! things like Smarties and I still don't remember feeling this much pain since I gave U33 a discount  :o
FLJ

fatcat123

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 09:31:26 am »

Interesting point about the cutting of lines as i too wasnt 100% sure where to cut. Had a few ill fitting parts on the scout i built mainly due to this reason.

Now i know so thanks!

Dan

wideawake

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:59:18 am »

Guy
http://www.squirestools.com/10-19b.pdf Page 341 Cat # C111 will do you nicely. Whoever thought that the words "Cocodamol" and "painkiller" should exist together on the same packet was 'avin' a larf............... I've been downing the b%^&*! things like Smarties and I still don't remember feeling this much pain since I gave U33 a discount  :o
FLJ

Thanks mate.  the Squires stanchions do look much nicer.   Mind you it's early days to think about details.  I've yet to try anything basic like cutting out the hull halves.   I think it'll be next week before I make any sort of start.   BTW once I get going expect an order for all the "black boxes" needed to make it go and sound right!

BTW I know what you mean about Cocodamol.   I have a fairly painful back which I think is a legacy from years of lifting heavy outside broadcast equipment in the days before they sent us on "Lifting and Handling" courses.  In those days it took four blokes to lift an OB camera on its carrying sledge, one on each corner.   I'm talking about the Marconi Mk3 for anyone who knows about these things  :-)

Cheers

Guy

hollowhornbear

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:22:28 am »

here's mine, and yes iknow the stanchions are overscale will change them one day.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17012.0

wideawake

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 11:45:38 am »

here's mine, and yes iknow the stanchions are overscale will change them one day.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=17012.0

Thanks for that link mate.   I see what you mean regarding scale.   It's what i suspected from doing my sums on the ones in the kit.   WRT the weathering I think it's brilliant.   I'm  not sure I'd have the courage to go that far though I do intend to add some weathering, crew and general "stuff" on deck.   I shall buy the Squires ones in due course.

Cheers

Guy

hollowhornbear

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 01:27:08 pm »

do you know the technique "dry brushing"?
that's how i weathered mine using games workshop paints.

wideawake

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 02:48:57 pm »

Yup I've come across that technique.  Indeed it was two excellent articles in MB by one of our number that tempted me to try a little weathering on some bits of my Colin Archer.

Here are a shots of some bits.

Guy

Fifie

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 12:00:40 pm »

Hi Folks

I bought the kit and had the same problem in deciding where to cut the styrene sheet
I solved the problem be redrawing (Autcad R14) the wheelhouse and other sections to be cut
I printed these at 1=1
I then stick them (Pritt Stick ) to the sheet and cut on the line
If any body would like a copy please contact me
Fifie

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 12:41:57 pm »

And have a guess at what I used to draw the plans and what Lawrie used to produce the styrene sheet prints for them (from the same file)? Yep - AutoCAD R14.
Looks like you've been a long way round to get back to where you started........you only had to ask.
The problem is that very thin lines won't reproduce on styrene sheet when screen-printed, while customers would (with some justification) resent having to cut out paper shapes and Pritt them onto plain styrene. Also bear in mind that paper can shrink and/or stretch under varying humidity conditions, whereas styrene is far more stable, so you might conceiveably end up with parts which fit the plans but which don't fit together!
I always cut styrene sheet over- large and sand, file or scrape back to a final fit.
Suit yourself.
FLJ

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 07:25:58 pm »

One further thought. I've no wish to offend but it's actually illegal to offer copies of anything unless you hold the copyright to it - even if you offer it for free and with the best of intentions. In this case that copyright belongs to the bloke who designed the model and drew the plans. We don't want to upset the manufacturer, either.
Nuff said?
FLJ

Fifie

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 03:34:31 pm »

FLJ

I was not a member of this wonderful forum site when I started
So I didn't know where to ask
It was not an issue for me to measure the kit parts and redraw them
Like you I dont wish to offend Lawrie or anybody else, more to be perhaps helpfull to other modelers
As a retired precision mechanical engineer, I try to make my models as near perfect as possible.
maybe I have to be more relaxed with my models
Perhaps Lawrie should enclose a copy of the CAD file in the kit ( perhaps in pdf format)
Once again no offence intended or applied.
Fifie

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 04:02:04 pm »

Once again no offence intended or applied.
Fifie
No worries, my man! I've sent you a private message on the subject. Love to see some pictures on here as your build progresses.
FLJ

Fifie

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 04:24:42 pm »

FLJ

The Puffer was my first attempt at a model and I found the scale a bit difficullt for me
Like Long John Silver I have only one eye
So I went over to an Orion Moulding Trawler
At the moment I am working on powerblocks and cranes

The Puffer will come back into play when I get more used to small parts
Fifie

wideawake

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 04:31:52 pm »

I've been doing a bit to the puffer today, mainly to put off changing a duff water pump on my LR Discovery.   I've hit a snag or at least an anomaly.    The prop tube is 10cm long according to the plan but the supplied item is 15cm with a longer shaft to match.    Does anyone know if  this a deliberate change in the kit or a mistake?   At first I thought it was just a question of cutting the items to length but I sse that the tube has plastic bushes so that can't be whats's intended.

Cheers

Guy

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 04:53:43 pm »

Model Slipway normally have the size of the prop shafts in their list of parts.
If not give Jackie a ring, she will sort it out.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Model_Slipway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 05:28:37 pm »

Hello Guy

The last batch of Puffers went out with the wrong shafts (too long). Please let us have your address by telephone or email next week. Alternatively by PM.
We apologize for this error.

Regards
Jackie
ModSlip

wideawake

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 06:08:03 pm »

Hi Jackie

Pm sent.   Thanks for the quick response.  I thought I'd post here before contacting you direct in case it was a case of my ancient brain missing something obvious  :((

Cheers

Guy

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 08:47:47 pm »

Pretty good service there Jackie. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

cmpang

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 05:49:09 am »

Hello Guy

The last batch of Puffers went out with the wrong shafts (too long). Please let us have your address by telephone or email next week. Alternatively by PM.
We apologize for this error.

Regards
Jackie
ModSlip

Hi

Just like to confirm my two Puffer kits you send to me last week is of the correct shaft length, Please advice

Regards,

cmPang

wideawake

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 08:46:23 am »

Hi

Just like to confirm my two Puffer kits you send to me last week is of the correct shaft length, Please advice

Regards,

cmPang

Hi cmPang

You should be able to see if you have the right one fairly easily.   According to the plan, the tube should be 10cm long but the one in my kit is maybe 15cm.

HTH

Cheers

Guy

cmpang

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 11:17:10 am »

Hi cmPang

You should be able to see if you have the right one fairly easily.   According to the plan, the tube should be 10cm long but the one in my kit is maybe 15cm.

HTH

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy

Thanks for your info. I've look at it and it is abut 15cm long and must be wrong. BTW, I have to contact Slipway anyway as they have left out the plastic sheets number 2 and 3

cmPang.

wideawake

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 10:33:33 pm »

An unlimited supply of brownie points to Jackie at Model Slipway for good customer service.    I've been away for a few days and just got back to find a new (correct length) for my puffer.

Many thanks, I'll be  carrying on with the build once I'm back here for a few days.    Flying visit tonight to collect our caravan.

Cheers

Guy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.