Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay - be warned  (Read 2686 times)

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
Ebay - be warned
« on: June 02, 2010, 09:13:19 am »

Like a lot of others on here, I sell of lots of bits and pieces, on ebay.

Be warned that Ebay have put in a new charging system for Private Sellers - you are now only allowed 100 free listings per month up to 99 pence start value, after that they will be charged for listing as well.

Another sneaky thing they have put in is their "Special Free Listing Weekend Offer" - sounds good but if you list 100 items at 99 pence or less this will still count against your monthly quota, so you might as well list them for a £1.00 !

Money must be tight at poor old Ebay - I know where Im going to list items in future (other than on here of course)......... ebid.net.

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ebay - be warned
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:26:02 am »

if you wonder why I have brought this up, well I know a lot of people who use Ebay to help with their income to buy extras for their hobbies etc, but the number of sales they make is not enough to justify a business, anymore than going to a carboot everyweek.

If you look at the maths, as I have done Im beginning to wonder why anyone bothers listing on ebay.

Potential costs

List an item of 99 pence ---       0.10
If it sells                       ---       0.10

Paypal fees if it sells      --- 0.26      (you have to offer Paypal, who also charge a percentage on postage costs)
Postage fees             -- 0.41            (assuming small letter size item)

Net return -- 0.12

Is it worth it ?

Nope

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:42:20 am »

Or sell at a carboot.
Get up at some unearthly hour, stand for hours in the rain, have stuff nicked, and pay £10

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 01:02:47 pm »

if you wonder why I have brought this up, well I know a lot of people who use Ebay to help with their income to buy extras for their hobbies etc, but the number of sales they make is not enough to justify a business, anymore than going to a carboot everyweek.

If you look at the maths, as I have done Im beginning to wonder why anyone bothers listing on ebay.

Potential costs

List an item of 99 pence ---       0.10
If it sells                       ---       0.10

Paypal fees if it sells      --- 0.26      (you have to offer Paypal, who also charge a percentage on postage costs)
Postage fees             -- 0.41            (assuming small letter size item)

Net return -- 0.12

Is it worth it ?

Nope

Yes
 I think it is , Using the free listings upto 100 it is as it says Free..  There is the selling cost, paypal cost as you have stated and the postage But Postage comes under a different section and is not included in the .99p you can actually add upto 2.50 for postage and still list for free.

I have sold over 80 mags via ebay and as long as I turn a profit I'm Happy

Also referring to the original post although I think it is abit off to introduce this max of Free listings a month it was not just brought in , Ebay have been advertising the fact for over a month & Half

hopeitfloats

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:31:37 pm »

free listings. WOW.  trademe is the nz equivalent of ebay and no way would they give anything free let alone a listing. you guys dont know how lucky you are :}  postage is additional to the item cost though unless you state otherwise in the auction.

BlueWotsit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 02:44:12 pm »

Yes
 I think it is , Using the free listings upto 100 it is as it says Free..  There is the selling cost, paypal cost as you have stated and the postage But Postage comes under a different section and is not included in the .99p you can actually add upto 2.50 for postage and still list for free.

I have sold over 80 mags via ebay and as long as I turn a profit I'm Happy

Also referring to the original post although I think it is abit off to introduce this max of Free listings a month it was not just brought in , Ebay have been advertising the fact for over a month & Half

I disagree - how is it off topic when a a 100 "FREE LISTINGS" are not infact free when they count towards someones quota of 100 per month - relisting an item also counts.

The point with postage is that Paypal charges commission on it.

With regard the amount you charge for postage, you have to fall in line with what other people charge otherwise you will not sell an item - if an item costs 41 pence to sell and you charge £2.50 each time they will soon complain to Ebay about you profiteering and ebay will ban you anyway.

The long Build

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:41:46 pm »

I disagree - how is it off topic when a a 100 "FREE LISTINGS" are not infact free when they count towards someones quota of 100 per month - relisting an item also counts.

The point with postage is that Paypal charges commission on it.

With regard the amount you charge for postage, you have to fall in line with what other people charge otherwise you will not sell an item - if an item costs 41 pence to sell and you charge £2.50 each time they will soon complain to Ebay about you profiteering and ebay will ban you anyway.

Did not say it was "off Topic" I said it was a bit off to introduce this max of 100" as in, It is a bit off for Ebay to do it, not that it was off topic.  :-))

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 09:28:16 pm »

Or give it away on here if it really isn't worth that much- I have reaped the rewards of member's generosity on here a few times, and I hope that I too can repay the favour in the future.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 11:40:21 pm »

Granted eBay has it's faults, & I'm certainly not it's biggest proponent, but I really do get fed up with such unfounded criticism.
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

Damien

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:30:39 am »

You should feel blessed to get 100 free listings a month!!!!!!!!!!!!! ebay Aust occasionally offers a week of free 99c listing perhaps once a quarter. I never use them anyway as i always put the minimum i'm prepared ton sell for as the start price.
Deals like this never help the seller, at a guess i'd say using them would cost the sell money when the goods sell at very low prices.

my 2bob  steps off soap box

Damien.

BoatyBoy

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 10:17:55 pm »

I know where Im going to list items in future (other than on here of course)......... ebid.net.

Nice bit of backdoor advertising  ok2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.