Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dive tanks  (Read 2705 times)

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
dive tanks
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:19:07 pm »

Ive acquired a pair of Ron perrot dive tanks about 1/2 litre capacity which i may fit in my robbe type 21 however i think the drive bely assembly is unreliable does anyone know of a good way of fitting a geared system to replace them and are they suitable for the type 21 anyway?
badly raised and ill mannered.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: dive tanks
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:44:24 pm »

A big model like that should run on 12 volts.

Display electronics has a nice range of geared motors ideal for large (and small) piston tanks.

http://www.distel.co.uk/DC_motors_geared.htm

The AY18 or KN48 look like good candidates.

Andy

RonP

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:23:43 am »

Sorry about this but I have only just picked up on it, my guess is that the tanks you have aquired are the aluminium ones with toothed belt drive, they are VERY reliable but the part that seemed
to defeat most people was getting the belt tension right. Too loose and they slip, too tight and they jam up and the difference is only a few thou that is why I discontinued them. I now use
helical gears, they are quiet and smooth and (so far) caused no problems. If you drop me a line or give me a call on 01400 230474 I can convert your tanks quite easily but I will need to have back
your old mounting plates and supports (no charge). For information in case you dont know, the brass support that holds the jockey pulley is drilled off centre, so by rotating it (clockwise) you can adjust belt tension. Dont rotate it anticlockwise or you will losen it off. Its a bit of a fiddle but patience WILL be rewarded. The tanks will easily cope with a 21 but make sure that your desired surface waterline is level with the top of your watertight box, lifting a flat topped box clear of the water takes a lot of ballast.
Regards
RonP

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:30:36 am »

They are the aluminium bodied ones Ron if you can modify them id be grateful as i can get them to run but all sorts of threadlock and spring washers don't seem to hold them in place. My mistake was not stating its the Robbe type 21 Ive got could i use these for it, i know where to mount an Engel tank but if i can use these and not eat into the wife's clothing/shoe budget i would like to. Let me know what you think :-)
badly raised and ill mannered.

RonP

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:05:19 am »

Leaky, give me a call (01400 230474) It sounds as though you are trying to mount them wrong, you need a flat face to put the tanks on, a good quality silicon sealant to form a gasket between
the end plate of the tank. Drill through for the 4 x 4ba mounting screws, the switch plunger and the air vent hole by using the gearbox mounting plate as a pettern its siple when you know how
but if you are blundering around without instructions you aint gonna get em right.
RonP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.