Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC unknown, any ideas?  (Read 5016 times)

vintagent

ESC unknown, any ideas?
« on: June 06, 2010, 12:00:21 pm »

Hi, I have just taken my new present apart and found a biggish ESC in it.  It is anodised bright blue, an aluminium extrusion of about 40mm square by 10mm deep, sealed at both ends with black stuff and with thick wires coming out everywhere.
It was said to be a 50Amp in the ad. It's only powering an electric outboard of unknown make.

Is it OK to use it on anything smallish?   There are no marks on it of maker or amperage, but it does look well made.

There is a slide switch on two thin leads (black and orange) which I'm guessing switches the reciever on as there isn't a seperate switch for that.  Does that signify a BEC?
Sorry to be clueless, but this is all very new to me.

Regards,
Vintagent

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: ESC unknown, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 12:05:40 pm »

Is it like this ?

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 12:17:33 pm »

The great thing about modern ESCs is that generally, what will control a lot will control a little just as well.  Some have better "forward" than "reverse" capability, some have poor low speed control.  Nowadays, if the ESC can handle the current demanded by the motor at the voltage offered, it will give all the control that the designer intended.  With the resistance controllers, you had to match the capability of the controller with the demands of the motor to get anything more than "on" and "off".
Sometimes Oriental amps seem to be smaller than European amps.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Timo2

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:33:21 pm »

It's  a BLUE fire lighter  ;)

vintagent

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 01:48:30 pm »

Dicky D, yes  that's it exactly.  So, what have I got? Is it 50 Amps?
And do I have to put the receiver battery wire into the switch, tother side?  If so, does anyone have an Acoms switch to receiver plug and lead because I don't have that bit?

Many thanks,
Vintagent

Robert Davies

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 03:48:05 pm »

That ESC has a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) so a receiver batter is not required.

The switch is just an on/off for the ESC (and if a receiver battery is not fitted, the receiver too).

-Rob

edit: they are supposed to be rated at 50A forwards, 20A reverse:

See here: http://jperkinsdistribution.co.uk/detail.php?JPNO=5510135&activepage=1&Navmain=Marine&subcatname=Marine%20ESC

Barriew got in before I'd finished my edit! These ESCs are self setting - switch on the TX, switch on the RX/ESC and you're done.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 03:51:37 pm »

Just connect the plug into the channel 2 on the receiver - this will give the ESC control information, and the Rx 5volts. :-) Of course, your next problem will be setting up the ESC O0 - sorry can't help there. I only use British speed controls :-))

Barrie

vintagent

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 05:20:20 pm »

Setting up the ESC??  Argh, what does that mean?
I thought they were plug and go.
Here's a pic.
You can see that there's nothing from the switch to the receiver.  Can they be obtained?

Thanks for the info BTW.
Regards,
Vintagent

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 05:40:41 pm »

May the Lord forgive me for this........

The thick Red and Black wires with the Tamiya-type connector go to the battery; usual polarity colouring. Don't use more than 12 volts. The Blue and Orange/Brown thick wires go to the motor terminals; doesn't matter which way round. The 3-wire ribbon cable with the plug on the end goes to the receiver. Red is Positive; Brown is negative and Orange is the signal wire (c/w Futaba Red/Black/White and Hitec Red/Black/Yellow). That's it. There is no other connection required from the switch to the receiver.

These ESCs have a reputation for dodgy reliability, hence Timo2's comment (and please  spare me the "I've had one for eight thousand years and it works fine on 400VAC and even cooks my breakfast" - I know that some of them work.......sometimes). Our Australian agent has a good word for them, but this is a family forum  :o

My take is that if it works then be grateful; if it stops working then replace it with a proper one...........and Doc Frary is dead right about Chinese amps - they ARE smaller.

FLJ

vintagent

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 06:00:01 pm »

Thanks, FLJ.
I had twigged the basic wiring, but how does any power get to the reciever if there's no need to do anything with the switch lead.
As wired up the Rx had a space where it says Batt.  I'm asuming it must be plugged with a wee black and orange lead to the tother side of the switch.

And if it does pack up, I'll buy one of yours, OK?
Regards,
Vintagent

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 06:17:23 pm »

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/BEC.pdf

There is no other connection required from the switch to the receiver, my man. The juice goes up the thick wires from the battery; through the regulator and switch and down the 3-wire ribbon cable to the receiver, so you leave the Batt socket empty.
Don't assume anything.
FLJ

vintagent

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 06:28:03 pm »

OK, I'll take your word for it, squire.  Sounds odd to a non-electric guy like me.  I'll look at your link.
Thanks.

Regards,
Vintagent

vintagent

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 06:35:23 pm »

OK, FLJ, don't understand how it works, but your diagram explains THAT it works.
So, all I need now is a battery or 6 and I can get it in the paddling pool if the dog'll let me.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Vintagent

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 06:51:43 pm »

Dont know if this will help

vintagent

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 08:34:17 pm »

Thanks Dicky, that is pretty much how mine looked. I just thought that the receiver wire was missing not realising that BECs don't have one.
But from what FLJ was saying in his article I think I'll just bung a battery pack on the RX.  I'm not looking for pure performance. As long it has a scale planing appearance I'm happy.

Now I have to experiment with voltage for the outboard. One screw is so rusty that it won't come apart, so it's test and use it till it breaks, then replace with a brushless I have or make new.
All good fun!

Regards,
Vintagent

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 10:13:10 pm »

If you are using a seperate supply for the receiver you must disconnect the middle red cable where the speed controller plugs into the receiver.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 10:15:14 pm »

But from what FLJ was saying in his article I think I'll just bung a battery pack on the RX.  I'm not looking for pure performance. As long it has a scale planing appearance I'm happy.
As the ESC has a BEC built in, this will cheerfully power both the internal controls inside the ESC and, via the red lead of the thin wire, the RX and whatever else is plugged into the RX with a nicely regulated 5 volts.  If you introduce a receiver pack, this will be connected across this regulated 5 volts, and it could well be that neither is happy.  If you must have an RX battery, winkle the red connector out of its plug housing (pin, waggle tab, ease back) and tape it back in a tidy manner.  This will let the RX battery drive the RX and servo, while the BEC just powers the ESC innards.
While I was checking my spelling, DickyD said it much shorter.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 10:23:56 pm »

Shorter but not so well Malcolm :-))

craftysod

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »

Basically this esc does not need a rx battery as got bec installed,plug in rx and fire up,If you get movement it works,
Got some myself and they work,but be warned,others have had trouble,but if need an alternative i go to FLJ

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 11:21:46 pm »

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Disabling%20BEC%20ESCs.pdf
Life would be far less complicated if we hadn't inherited these damn things from the car nutters...............well, mine would be.  <:(
FLJ

Dreadstar

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 12:12:13 am »

Well,since I started off in R/C with the cars,I must be one of those nutters then. <*<

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 10:12:39 am »

Well,since I started off in R/C with the cars,I must be one of those nutters then. <*<
Yep - looks like it  :kiss:
FLJ

vintagent

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 11:10:53 am »

Speed control is speed control, isn't it?  Why would a car one be unsuitable for a boat?
Is it the nature of the on-off sudden requirements of a car racing compared to a tug trundling, maybe?

Since this is in a hydro (albeit a scale fun one) it won't need to behave like a tug, more like a car, I suppose.
But, then, when I bore of the hydro, it'll go in something steadier probably.

Regards,
Vintagent

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 11:26:16 am »

Boats don't usually require regenerative braking!  ;)

vintagent

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 11:33:32 am »

Heavens, I thought that was only used in slot cars! 

I take it then that apart from our chum FLJ, all the other ESC makers use what is basically a car one inside?

Regards,
Vintagent
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.