Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Veron Police Launch  (Read 10188 times)

vintagent

Veron Police Launch
« on: June 06, 2010, 08:36:29 pm »

My son has a Veron Police Launch under way which we thought was a Vosper, but he's desperate to find pictures of the full size for detailing and we are coming up blank.  Has anyone any pics of them for real or any suggestions please.

Regards,
Vintagent

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Veron Police Launch
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:27:56 pm »

Is this the one?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:28:21 pm »

Nope that isnt the one. Try the River Police Museum pages. The designer of the Veron Police Launch , Phil Smith , passed away last month , sic transit gloria.  A good guy.
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:30:03 am »

..well can you land on this?

tony52

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:40:05 am »

Hi Vintagent

Phils Smiths (Veron) model was based on this model in the NMM.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explore/object.cfm?ID=SLR1631

I also have been unable to trace which full sized vessel the model was based upon.

Tony.

vintagent

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:46:24 am »

Well, thanks, gents, a great response and we'll work on that.  Maybe it wan't Vospers after all. I did think it was a bit small for a Vosper craft.

Thanks again.
Vintagent

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:07:39 pm »

Hi vintagent, This is a  200hp General Service Tender supplied to the Air Ministry from 1931, designed and built by the British Power Boat Co. ( Is the model definately a police launch?)  A possible longshot?  :-)

vintagent

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:43:02 am »

I like the look of that last one.
The plans don't say Vospers after all. That appears to me always mindful of the Vospers Crash Tender I have never far from the old brain, so I've bum-steered you chaps, but at the same time the pictures give us a good source of real detail.

Perkasaman, are there more pics of the BPBC launch with any details of wheelhouse and cockpit?

many thanks,
Regards,
Vintagent

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:01:09 am »

One or two have done plans and Deans did a kit (also Adamcraft a looooooong time ago) Vintagent. Basically the BPB Seaplane tender. Wanna nother scan??

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

vintagent

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 10:03:13 am »

Just had a look at the River Police Museum pages that arrow5 sent  and there's a tantalising shot of an officer sculling to a Duty Boat and that boat is the one, as is the reference to a boat model at the NMM.
What shows as the obvious big difference is that the Veron model is hard chine, but the real vessel is round bilge with bilge keels that act as spray rails to some extent.

But that's the boat, so at least the Lad can put some detail and get the colours right.  Seems odd to worry about it when he's putting a weed whacker engine in it, but it's a start and he just does this stuff for fun anyway.  He's doubling up on the Veron plan, so 52" long!

Thanks for all your help chaps.
Regards,
Vintagent

vintagent

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:10:36 am »

Hi Ian, yes please! You can never have too much info.  Who does the plans for the BPBC boat?  I'll see if I can find them. I always have a bit of a soft spot for the British Power Boat Company, since doing my Miss BritainIII model and having a model boat which turned out to be one of a pair of snow shoes which the BPBC made. They were a genuine product, beautifully made and even had a single step!  But they were, indeed, snow shoes. Mine had been converted early days into a model boat and had shown evidence of being a tethered job, had had at least four different engines and was held together with the tiniest brass woodscrews I ever saw!  Why did I let it go??  hard up, probably.
I sold it through Galaxy Models in Norwich along with a massive Belgian Police Launch in green and cream! at least 5 feet long with a rotary generator as a motor, very War surplus.

Someone on here MIGHT have them.

Regards,
Vintagent

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:19 am »

Topic renamed  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

vintagent

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 10:34:04 am »

Hi Bluebird, very useful, thanks.

But alas, way too expensive.  The day I pay twenty quid for a plan that's been around, probably, for yonks, is the day you can cart me off to the funny farm!
When I were a lad, such things were affordable on pocket money, which I only got from time to time, but saved.  Now I'm all growed and worn out, they ain't affordable at all.  That's progress, I take it.

But thanks for the link.  I can at least identify, which helps.

Regards,
Vintagent

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 11:14:57 am »

You tightwad (any Yorkshire connections) you of all people should appreciate how long guys like Vic and Phil slaved, over a hot nib, constantly re-filling with a dropper, on best linen?? I still have copies of plans though, that succesive archive owners have scrubbed the 3/-6d and 7/-6d OFF and added a letter code for pricing. Bit like the Post Office did with stamps 1st and 2nd class. Sadly, in this electronic age, there's at least one sticking two fingers up at the copyright laws (ask FLJ whose plan sales go DIRECTLY to the rightfull owner, an no, I'm not blowing smoke up the orifice). Hopefully Phil Smiths family will be able to maintain HIS legacy.

Get the scan off in a few mins V.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

vintagent

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 12:49:23 pm »

I am a tightwad! More Cockney Sparrer than Yorkshire, but still unwilling to pay for over inflation. And if I did do plans myself they wouldn't be that price for a simple model boat plan. In fact I have done hundreds of plans over the years for every model I ever made and that really does stretch to hundreds, but I cannot find a single one of them.  Even so, I wouldn't dream of charging that kind of money for a model drawing.  For a four sheeter, maybe, more likely about 12 quid.
I dare say the copying prices have gone sky high too though.  but I can get a good colour photocopy on nice paper of my artworks for £2-15p and sell em for £17-50 inc. p&p and they take a LOT longer to draw the original than a model plan!

I used some plans from Fergusons for Underhill's Zulu and was staggered at their cost, but at least I billed it to the customer!  They were only cheap old dielines, too!

Regards,
Vintagent

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 01:41:44 pm »

Running a few sample plans from an old handbook through an inflation calculator suggests that the cost has gone up by twice as much as inflation since 1975.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 04:21:09 pm »

Topic renamed ... properly this time!   :embarrassed:

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Vosper launches
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 04:38:12 pm »

Hi vintagent, Veron kits were mass produced, so-called 'easy build' designs like many manufacturers of the past. Hull sides were typically formed from thin sheet ply in their kits. Building frame shapes  were re-drawn and modified/eased  to suit the 'simple'   bend/twisting characteristics of this covering material. These early kits brought pleasure to many at affordable prices. At face value they were excellent and are now becoming  collectable  classics. You are not the first Mayhemmer on this trail and there's a photo/info on this link which may/ may not be useful:  :-)

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1332.0

A cheaper plan is also available - later, 1932 Series 200 RAF Seaplane Tender  (BPB Co.) :

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/22884/magm2041-raf-seaplane-tender

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 05:08:42 pm »

Vintagent

The last BPBC Seaplane tender (also used for other things) was recently purchased by the RAF Museum at Hendon and made her final trip last month. I put up a brief report on here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23784.0 and more photos on the Model Boats Website.

I have a few on board and cockpit interior shots too.

Colin

vintagent

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 06:21:00 pm »

Ah, thankee gents.  Clearly the Police Launch, a la Veron isn't an RAF type, much smaller, in fact does anyone know who did build them, please?
But the RAF ones are nice and I may well ferret all this aside for another build.
Many thanks.

I realise the Police Launch is round bilge and the Veron is hard chine, but we can make it look nice none the less, I'm sure.
Then maybe have a go at a more accurate one.  Maybe by simply radiusing the bilge section of the Veron drawings it can be improved in accuracy quite simply.

Regards,
Vintagent

tony52

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 08:55:47 pm »

Here's mine

Model awaiting r/c installation and photographing withs it's own (newly made) stand. This stand was borrowed from a Dark Class MTB.

Good luck with yours
Tony

vintagent

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 09:40:34 am »

Tony,
that's a nice job!
Can't see from the picture, but is it straight Veron or have you round bilged it?

Regards,
Vintagent

tony52

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 10:45:07 am »

Thank you for the positive feedback. You will find the searchlight (either illuminating or not and the horns) still available from Reade models. The model is as the Veron plan and not round bilge. Hoping to soon finish mine (unfortunately I have been struggling health problems this year, but now on the mend).

How is your son building his? Hope you will be posting photographs of his build. Once again good luck to him.

Tony.

vintagent

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 11:22:22 am »

I must look up that link to Reade models. Not one I know.

My son is building it twice size because of the weed whacker engine he has.  He resolutely refuses to get into electrics!
He is a bit of a petrol head having spent his first 9 years of working life restoring classic racing cars like Maseratis and Bugattis, so he is a complete tart over detail!

I'll take pics of his build as he goes. At present he is drawing up the frames ready for 1/4 birch ply. he won't be doing the tray system of building, but drawing the frames to be just full frames, so that he can get the engine as low as possible.  Getting the pull start to fit might be a problem because it's on the front of the engine.

Apart from the use of full frames and thicker ones it'll be a conventional build I guess.  I might draw some extra frames up for him due to the length and I suggested he use stringers between them to support the skins.  The picture of the model at the NMM looks like the hull was seam battened so the stringers would help the impression.

Regards,
Vintagent
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.