Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bow construction  (Read 3025 times)

zaskar

bow construction
« on: January 11, 2007, 03:36:01 pm »

As mentioned in another thread, I would like to build a 1/4 scale model of a working narrow boat. I've taken lots of photo's and sketches to assist me in this, my first build,  but what I'd really like is a copy of some plans for the bow section so that i can make the frames and  get the lines right.
Does anyone know a source for this info please/

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: bow construction
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 05:48:21 pm »

There are usually narrow boat plans on eBay - not 1/4 scale as far as I recall, but maybe they would help.

Barrie

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:50:03 pm »

"Shire Cruisers" at Sowerby Bridge just outside Halifax actually build thier own boats.

Drop them a line and see if they are able to help in any way.

http://www.shirecruisers.co.uk/
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 02:53:24 am »

Someone has built a mini speed boat and there is a thread on here.

The angles are different but the basic construction technique may be suitable if you cahnge the angles.
There are lots of pics of the frame about one third down the page.

Just a thought.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=312.0;topicseen
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 01:17:01 pm »

Many years ago I wrote to the British Waterways Board asking for plans for the new Eco-hull and they sent me some free. You get bow & stern, and the length of the middle is up to you. That's fine if you want an Eco-hull - but it should give you less wash and therefore drag, or vice versa, and the bow should be dead easy to do in ply. Incidentally, I think that propellor sizes for HPV boats are quite large - some year ago I saw a Dutch pedal-powered inflatable catamaran on the Basingstoke Canal with an outboard type submerged drive and the prop had large paddle blades and was about 10" at least in diaa. Think WW1 aircraft propellors - low revs, low power, plenty of torque - big wide blades. A smaller prop would probably need gearing up and you'd lose any extra propellor efficiency in the gears.  I think. To keep weight down you could reduce freeboard - it might be worth your while looking at canal tug styles, or the BWB workboats which are more flat-iron style. But if your heart is set on roses and castles, go for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.