Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a new plug and mould for Navaho hull  (Read 11684 times)

phillnjack

Re: Building a new plug and mould for Navaho hull
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 09:16:59 pm »

woooo hoooo  A 70 inch hull, now thats going to be nice watching it get built.

phill

tiggy_cat

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 03:16:05 pm »

Hi Mart,

A while ago , in a moment of late night Ebay madness, I bought an old Prestwich Models 72" Cigarette. Just the hull and deck joined.  When it arrived, couldn't believe just how bulky a hull of this length turns out to be. You could live in the thing!!

Presuming that your hull will be about the same overall size, what do you see as a power plant for getting the beast up and motoring ?.  I presume a large petrol rather than anything else

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 04:47:38 pm »

Yea the inline from rcmk would be my choice if money allows failing that then def the 28.5 cc zenoah which should push it pretty well.That motor pushes the smaller hull to 56 +mph so far so mid 40s would be pretty easy which would be ideal i think.I think the inline would be faster obviously,hopefully ill be able to build one later in the year.Of course side by side twins would also work ,might need to stagger them a tad to make things easier to fit.Not sure of the dimensions of the cig you talk about width height etc mine will be 16" wide and only 9" high at deepest point of the hull so quite streamlined,ill also probs make a longer Arrow style deck for it and see how that looks  ok2.
What did you power your cig with? a friend of mine had one with a single zen and it seemed to go ok.
Mart

tiggy_cat

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 07:27:27 pm »

Hi Martin,

Haven't got as far as refitting it yet. It just sits in the garage at present ( a large bit of the garage, actually) while I wonder why the hell I bought it!  It is quite a way down the list of build or rebuild projects at present, so who knows what might go in it , if anything.

It is one of Dave Palmer from OMRA's old boats and while it needs a bit of work, it is in reasonable shape. It think it could look good, but my missus reckons that it would look better sitting on the local tip!!

Cheers

Ian

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 10:22:45 pm »

These big hulls make great scale builds its amazing how much you can make them look like the real thing but then it starts costing you real money its scarey lol.A guy in Italy who has one of my 58s is actually building a scale version of the AMG Cigarette hull,his friend owns the real thing and hes planning to get as near as he can to the real thing.It will have inline rcmk for power a gearbox for counter rotating stearable rcmk drives which hes still waiting for,should be a sweet boat when done.I sent him a spare hatch so he could modify it to look like the real one too and he did a great job on it i think.
Mart
http://www.cigaretteracing.com/

phillnjack

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 07:26:37 pm »

why is everyoenspending an absolutefortune on the inline twins ?
why not just get a nice 50 to 60 cc single ?

Look at some of the mini moto tuned engines, they can be getting 15 to 20hp out of those little engines.
The engines are far cheaper to buy, and much cheaper on parts.
Ok so you need to get watercooled head, but apart from that you get a good strong clutch etc.

I see so many people bragging about 8 to 9 hp, yet the mini moto or 50cc motor crosser bike engines will
produce much more power.

just a thought

phill

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 11:07:26 pm »

Mini moto engines arent reliable unless you go for a really good one like a polini in which case your talking big money.Also you have to consider power to weight ratio,ive NEVER seen any pocket bike powered boat that will keep up with a propper marine type engine.These new rcmk twins are really small and compact and very light also and cost only £398 which is  not much more than what a good modded single 260 costs so hardly a fortune,probs half the weight of even a 40 cc pocket bike engine also.

phillnjack

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 01:37:51 am »

For that price you could just as easy by a good 90 nitro that will beat it every time.

it seems that everyone thinks high revs equals high speed !!!! whats wrong with getting some decent high pitch props or
gearboxes and use cheaper more reliable engines to power the boats.

I think far too many people are paying far too much for the petrol engines.
They realy are only small industrial motors after all.

The zenoahs, and all the other copy ones are just strimmer engines stripped down and re timmed.

when you start talking about inline twin zens and the like, the money is crazy.

phill

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 08:20:34 am »

Inline zens are a waste of time the couplers allways seem to fail,early days but i think the S 520 twin will def be the one to go for as regards a twin it seems like a performer,power to weight ratio is pretty awesome.That said a decent 29-31 cc zen is a great way to power most boats one of my Apaches clocked 59.5 mph yesterday with a 31 cc zen so i dont think ill be using a twin in one,a bigger hull of 70" id def try one.
Why dont you have a go at what your talking about and show us what speeds you can get with a cheap engine and gearbox Phill ?.
No ones disagreeing about the .90 nitro but each to his own,i hate nitro and wont touch them.Petrol all the way when it comes to engines for me.
The reason Adriano is using the inline twin in his boat is because he wanted to run twin drives so needed the power but couldnt go with Mathe or Blatta engines due to the size as they wont fit under the hatch,these RCMK motors are small and compact and like i say a very good price at under £400.
Mart

dadandlad

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 05:28:18 pm »

Looks like a really nice set up and just love the look of those twins  :-))
If i hadn't started to build Miss Britain 3 i would have been really tempted with one of these

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 06:50:28 pm »

Hi mate hes just had word that his drives from RCMK are ready for shipping,its taken them months to get them for him.Hes the first customer to actually get them,they look awesome.Heres his build thread hopefully he will restart it in a  week or two once he gets the drives.Heres a pic of one they sent him.
Mart
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10111137/tm.htm

Patternmaker

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 07:02:28 pm »

Like Mart I am also a petrol head, I have raced against CMB 90s with petrol boats with surfice drives in offshore,
multi and endurance and won a lot more races than nitro boats. I did have a highly tuned CMB 90 with twin glow plugs in a Omega 90, I spent more money on glow plugs than fuel, if I managed to get more than 30
minutes running without changing glowplugs I was a bonus.

Keep up the good work Mart

dadandlad

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 09:19:10 pm »

Thats one hell of a build list,going to be a real classy boat :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 10:07:55 pm »

Hi Mick,
hope your well mate  ;)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 10:13:00 pm »

Thats one hell of a build list,going to be a real classy boat :-))
Yea it sure is,actually its a replica of his friends real one.His friend races the amg cig in the link i believe and hes building the Apache to look as near to it as possible.
He actually remodeled my hatch himself to look like the real one and did a really nice job on it.I do have plans to make a longer version of my hull to make it into a cig and am considering the steps also but it will be a long term project like so many others i have in mind  %).
Mart

phillnjack

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 09:14:25 pm »

I had cheap petrol engines running in model boats a long time ago.
But nitro leaves them standing.

what i cant make out is why people are buy the expensive engines instead of the cheaper ones and doing simple conversion.

for under 150 you can get a real good strong engine once you take the strimmers apart.

ive got proof sitting right her ein front of me, 41cc zenoah  g4k,used in lots of different strimmers,loads of grunt and torque
definitely lighter than a twin set up.

But go to model shop for same engine and its a fortune, all the same internals though.

the same with many of todays so called race boat engines, most are just strimmer and blower engines with a few bits taken off.

Many years ago black and decker made a small chainsaw, it was blue and very similar to the
green 17cc strimmer also by black and decker.
But the blue one was infact a kawasaki  22cc engine that was said in many magazines a specialy made model car engine.
No it wasnt i had one, and my friend had one from a model shop,absolutely identical in every way except the clutch.
But the model shop one was twice the price of a complete strimmer.

Remember the fox f7 22cc petrol model engine ? early petrol strimmer that was as well.

Zenoah, one of the largest producers of strimmer and chainsaw engines in the world.

phill

bulldog1966

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 01:54:58 pm »

:}yea i got kawasaki 22 cc in my shead phill goes well in the sea

phillnjack

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 02:19:50 pm »

The kwaka 22cc was a very good little engine, dont rev its nuts off but keeps on going with decent torque.
And you can pick these up very cheap in strimmers and blowers.

There used to be perkasa running around with a 22cc kawasaki running into a gearbox that came out with 3 propshafts.
The old perkasa could stay with the merco 10cc powered multi's on the straights.
Thats not bad for a boat like the perkasa and with a engine not even designed for racing or infact boats.
Kawasaki's were known for good reliability and that counts,especialy at a race meeting or even on a good fun day out.

phill
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.