Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloomin' football kills everything!  (Read 10156 times)

vintagent

Bloomin' football kills everything!
« on: June 13, 2010, 05:25:44 pm »

Good grief!  Is every model boat enthusiast also a bloomin' foortball nut too?

This forum's like the grave, as is the rest of the internet since yesterday.
Roll on a month's time!
Regards,
Vintagent

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Bloomin' football kills everything!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 05:40:34 pm »

""Its comming Home, It's comming Home, Footballs comming home".
Great isn't it!!

http://www.youtube Moderated as comments in text not for family based forum

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 05:42:17 pm »

Not me! ... but it is a game of two half's etc.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

vintagent

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 05:50:57 pm »

I don't know about coming home (couldn't give a Moderated who wins, but I'm GOING home!)
Vintagent

We consider veiled swearing to be as equally innapropriate as real swearing so ask that members do not use it. BB

Dreadstar

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 05:57:31 pm »

I noticed it at the club this afternoon,very low attendance numbers,and that's North of the border too. Maybe it's because I'm unlucky enough to live just over two blocks from Ibrox stadium, but I'm sick of the sight of the darned game,and this coming from someone who used to play every week as a kid.  SPORT,SPORT,SPORT,that's all anyone seems to be interested in nowadays. Our TV screens are saturated with the horrible stuff,and mainstay programmes get shunted aside to make way for it. Do they really think that everybody's life revolves around sport? >>:-(
  There are plenty of far more interesting pursuits out there than that rubbish.  ALL sport should be BANNED from our TV screens.  <*< If you want to go and watch it......buy a ticket. :-))

vintagent

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 06:36:29 pm »

Oh Dreadstar, what a gentleman and a boy scout you are as they say down here.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

And what really annoys me is when women are reporting on football and cricket!!  What the Hell is that all about??
I always trusted women to know better!

Time to hibernate until all this nonsense is over, I think. 
I'd have thought you'd be safe in Scotland as nobody "supports" England up there (quite rightly if you ask me)

Regards,
Vintagent

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 06:40:16 pm »

Dont forget its wimbledon too lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 06:55:27 pm »

Yes Wimblebon FC went to Milton Keynes!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 10:55:35 pm »

Sport doesn't throw my switch either, when the news comes on I'll sit and watch it, the moment they talk about the sport... I start surfing.  :-)) It's the same with newspapers, I rarely ever buy one but when I do, I reach the last page before the sport and bin the thing cos as far as I'm concerned there is nothing left to read! I have known blokes to read every line in the sport section then sit and debate the ins and outs of the previous nights football game until everyone elses ears start bleeding. I know we all have our own interests but the sport thing appears to be some kind of obsession with some folk.
I have never understood it, never will and ain't about to start now.
No, I don't know who's playing who, whether anybody won or not and wuldn't give a monkeys if a football stadium burnt down, the only bit of interest there would be ifI  could  see the glow from 10 miles away! {-)
Yours faithfully, .... massively grumpy ole git! :((

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 11:28:40 pm »

Don’t worry England won’t be in it for long if their performance against the USA is anything to go by.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 12:09:59 am »

What's wrong with all you anti-sport people?  :o Sport's a national pastime in Australia in fact, governments encourage people to get involved. With the rate of childhood obesity on the rise it's great to see kids out playing sport, instead of playing video games or watching TV.

With interest in sport at such a high level, it follows that televised professional games are going to have a large following, and the fact that many games are played at night means that kids aren't inside during the day.

Peter.

PMK

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 04:52:49 am »

Using the kids/obesity thing in this case might look good on paper, but the hard reality is that not one single fat kid on the entire planet is into sports anyway. For no fat little plumper is going to belittle themselves in front of anyone, so the obesity slant just doesn't hold up.
You are obviously a man into sport yourself (and probably rightly so), and you ask what's wrong with anti-sport people. First off, it has nothing to do with anti anything; it's all to do with been forced-fed a constant barage of televised events and/or sporting events in the media in general. To get the bigger picture, first think of any particular thing that you yourself are not too interested in, then try to imaging how it feels when your television/media are forever ramming down your throat a constant and incessant diet of the stuff.
Try it and see what I mean. Tune your television or radio to a channel that you wouldn't ordinarily watch or listen to, then pretend that that particular channel is the only channel available to you, then force yourself to a constant dose of it. Of course, you will never get the true picture because, where you live, you do at least have the option to switch channels. And the hard truth is, no man will force themselves to do anything they don't want to do anyway, right?
Whereas, we in Blighty aren't offered the same freedom. The only option we have is to switch off the damn TV off altogether, for just about every single radio and TV station are puking-out the same old endless stream of so-called 'sport'. Sport should great, nothing wrong with sports at all... when its done properly. But by today's definition of the word, sport is anything but. It mostly concerns money and egos.

barryfoote

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 07:18:37 am »

What's wrong with all you anti-sport people?  :o Sport's a national pastime in Australia in fact, governments encourage people to get involved. With the rate of childhood obesity on the rise it's great to see kids out playing sport, instead of playing video games or watching TV.

With interest in sport at such a high level, it follows that televised professional games are going to have a large following, and the fact that many games are played at night means that kids aren't inside during the day.

Peter.

At last a sensible chap.....Good words there Peter, amongst all these sad people!!  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

(Joking guys....It would not do if we all liked the same things).

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 08:05:35 am »

I'm with PMK on this one. It's as if not being obsessed with the World Cup is somehow an act of high treason. I see from the BBC's News website that the injured bloke has arrived back at Heathrow Airport. That's news?  I wonder if Michael Jackson is still dead....................I think we should be told.
FLJ

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 08:28:56 am »

Hmmmmmmmm, High Treason for NOT supporting your country, it does have certain merits!!!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 09:13:18 am »

Hmmmmmmmm, High Treason for NOT supporting your country, it does have certain merits!!!!!

Bob
Bob
It's not  "my country"................it's only a football team, cobbled together from umpteen other football teams.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 09:54:29 am »

It's not  "my country"................it's only a football team, cobbled together from umpteen other football teams.

And run by Italians....

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 10:18:01 am »

We are not anti-sport... well almost not. I find myself in agreement with PMK on this, he sums it up nicely. I got it rammed down my throat as a kid and grew to reject the culture of drink and violence associated with this wretched game. If our modelling hobby had caused as much pain, death and social unrest as a football game, it would have been banned a long time ago. Opium for the masses, thats how i see it.
 I desert the tv at times like this, the radio is full of it too and I'm afraid it just bores the life out of us and we fail to understand the hype and player adoration which accompanies it.
I was a social outcast amongst my work associates because I failed to join in the football spiel on monday mornings. Imagine how the footballers would have felt if the majority of blokes in the workplace spoke of nothing but models, sailing competitions and the like and then found the tv full of it at evenings and weekends along with a nation obsessed with the inticacies of model building... they'd probably want to shoot themselves at times..... kind of where we're at really!
Switched to Radio 4 now, they seem to keep off the subject.

vintagent

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 10:28:27 am »

And all that, Peter Fitness, is the best reason of the many I can think of for never going to Australia!

When I was at school, only the kids with little brain ever got good at sport, whereas I used mine to avoid it. My proud boast is that I never did a full P.E. lesson in full kit throughout my entire school history.  Raked the long jump pit in my normal uniform, yes.  Rubbed down and revarnished the cricket cradle in woodwork, yes, but NEVER did the follow-the-sheep PE lessons.  And the only time I ever went in the gym, was expressly to chase the PE teacher and belt his fat moderated with a slipper before he could get to me, so my fitness and strength have never been in doubt and I've never been obese or even close, so that's that specious claim dealt with.
If you're into sport, fine for you, but don't be part of the "ram-it-down-our-throats" compulsion that turns every meeting of (mainly) men into a robotic, proscribed litany of received "information" and lopsided opinion.

It is the reason I set this thread..that the Internet has almost died because of one sporting event a long way from most of us.
What, sporty types?...can't walk and chew gum at the same time!  There's a surprise.

It is possible to be active, without doing sport.
Perhaps the fat kids could try that?

Regards,
Vintagent

Please avoid the implied swearing BB

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 10:35:08 am »

I was a social outcast amongst my work associates because I failed to join in the football spiel on monday mornings.

Another one not of the "Sun" mentality (Probably the shape of a football clinches it??)

Despite having many more channels to be able to dump the "Beautifull" (??????) game, at least we have a good selection of DVDs, F1 and MotoGP to chose from. Trouble is, even AFTER the end for another four years, there's always the Italian/Brazillian/European/Mongolian leagues to hammer us with.

Those that witter about F1 being boring/processional, only 18 F1 races per year.

Strange how we "Non Believers" are requested to keep off the "Official" football thread???

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

vintagent

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 10:51:08 am »

I've always been a motor racing watcher, especially in the sixties, but now, even that is boring and predictable.  I watched a programme recently where a bunch of spoilt brats circulated in tin tops till one bashed another through immature impatience and that was the only excitement of the entire meeting!
And even motor racing fans have to admit that 80 % of it is tedious procession. The only reason I still give a nod to motor racing is the sound, smell, technology.
Of course classic motor racing is quite different, where the sight , sound and SMELL makes it all worth while.
Goodwood Revival is a very special thing that everybody should witness at least once in their lives along with a good Vintage Hillclimb, like Prescott or Shelsley  (although my favourite is Wiscombe Park).

F1?  Don't even bother to turn it on any more. Politics, overpaid pansies, advertising.....Oh, or is that football.  Who can tell any more?

Regards,
Vintagent

PMK

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 11:35:26 am »

It's the same with newspapers, I rarely ever buy one but when I do, I reach the last page before the sport and bin the thing cos as far as I'm concerned there is nothing left to read!

So true.
In my case, for the first time in what surely must be ages, I found myself buying a newspaper this morning - The Daily Mirror (anyone remember The Old Codgers' page?). Man, how that particular tabloid has changed. For your nine shillings you get something like 46 pages of nothing but complete and utter dross. I mean, how is man supposed to enjoy his freshly-baked Steak & Onion Slice while reading about Robert Green and his skinny ex floozie?
You're lucky, Mr Sheerline. I didn't even get past the crossword page before binning my one.

Swearing removed BB

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 12:06:46 pm »

Ah, the smell of Castrol Ahhhhhhhhhh (R for the non understanding) MANS oil.

What's a Newspaper??????????????????????   Were those what we used before Andrex??

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

vintagent

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 01:42:33 pm »

What's Andrex?? :((
No wonder I only have internet friends!

Castrol R.  Oh, Nursey, is it time for my perversions yet!??

I first smelt castrol R on April 24th 1964, when we drove into Snetterton motor circuit in Norfolk. We had just done 100mph for the first time in my life in my Uncle's friend's Riley Pathfinder (mildly tweaked).

Pulled into the paddock and that smell accosted me and I haven't been all there since.  I actually made a burner to drip it into so I could smell it at home!  Nearly set the shed alight!
Worth it though.
No amount of boot dubbin can compare to Castrol R.

It is my proud boast that I have never, in my life, bought a newspaper on my own volition, nor have I ever read past the last pre sport page.  They are all purely for the consumption of fish and chips or, as Circlip says, paper in the privvy.

Regards,
Vintagent

Implied swearing removed, BB

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 01:53:57 pm »

It is my proud boast that I have never, in my life, bought a newspaper on my own volition

Not a sentiment I would share - I do like to have some idea of what is going on in the world even if it is a distorted one.

Do you ever read books?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.