Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloomin' football kills everything!  (Read 10242 times)

vintagent

Re: Bloomin' football kills everything!
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 02:30:53 pm »

I have a vast library (albeit at several addresses thanks to having lived afloat for a while) but I also listen to Radio 4, which is about as close as you get to the truth.
I don't need newspapers, although I'll flick through whatever's laying around for a laugh.

Regards,
Vintagent

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 03:13:39 pm »

but I also listen to Radio 4, which is about as close as you get to the truth.

Why would you suppose that? Leaving aside the tabloids, why should one type of media be elevated against the others? I suspect that most people attribute 'truth' to the media which accords most closely to their own established world view. I like to read things from different angles and viewpoints and then maybe you can read betwen the lines to greater effect.

Colin

Terryt

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 04:13:09 pm »

Just think of all the car parking spaces that could be made available by flattening all football stadia.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 04:50:49 pm »

Well if this is what the World Cup generates I can't imagine what we can expect on here during the 2012 Olympics!! %%
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Dreadstar

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 05:59:17 pm »

Don't get me started on that subject either. <*<

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 06:08:11 pm »

Now THERE'S a waste of money
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 06:10:51 pm »

Oh No, I forgot about that BB.... ah well, at least ther roads should be quieter so there will be an upside for us non sports types. The downside of course is that the ruddy tv will be swamped by it. Never mind chaps, there's always the adverts in between... much more interesting. %%

vintagent

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 07:00:47 pm »

Colin, did you once work for a newspaper?

Why defend them?
It is generally recognized that amongst the world's broadcast media, the BBC has the greatest record of truth, integrity and quality of reporting. It probably isn't perfect, but it has no adverts, unlike papers and doesn't have to sell to survive.
I would have thought they were pretty good reasons to listen and very occasionally watch instead of waste time reading canted reportage and inventio to please the corporate bean counters of print media..

Regards
Vintagent

brianc

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 07:40:21 pm »

Anybody taken a look at the moderation on this thread?
All started because of football,thats why I hate the flaming game

Ducks and runs for cover.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 07:47:58 pm »

No, I've never worked for a newspaper. Yes, a lot of the stuff in them is either inaccurate or biased to reflect their political complexion and sometimes to a lesser extent commercial considerations. Other content is OK and informative. It is also interesting to see different columnists taking opposing views on particular subjects and makes you think sometimes, maybe even changes your mind on something. You do have to be discriminating in reading newspapers to separate out fact from opinion but that doesn't mean that they are worthless.

I'm afraid I don't have the luxury af being able to listen as much as I did these days due to severe deafness but I do follow the BBC's output on TV using headphones and subtitles and of course on their website. Generally it is pretty good but not always and it does make a good cross reference to what I read in the papers. Some of their documentaries aren't up to much either. I would hate to be dependent upon one media source for my information as you appear to be happy with.

Cheers,

Colin

knoby

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 07:54:58 pm »

At the risk of getting lynched, I actually enjoy watching the world cup. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't cross the road to watch a football match, but the world cup is different.

What I cant stand is all the hype surrounding it, its not necessary to spend 2 hours building up to kick off & the rest of the week dissecting every second of the game, after all its not like England are particularly good at the game. Since we last won a competition ( & even then it was with a disputed goal), man has walked on the moon & we have changed currency.

I hope we do well, but I do wish the media would give it a rest !!!!

Cheers Glenn.

Nordsee

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 08:02:43 pm »

Oh No, I forgot about that BB.... ah well, at least ther roads should be quieter so there will be an upside for us non sports types. The downside of course is that the ruddy tv will be swamped by it. Never mind chaps, there's always the adverts in between... much more interesting. %%
You have a point about empty roads, when Germany was in the last final, my wife and I got the Bike out and went for a ride, it was wonderful, no traffic, could park anywhere, brilliant! When we returned we didn't have to ask if the Germans had won. Deserted streets and not a Flag in sight. Hurrah!! They lost! Now it is mass Hysteria and Public Viewing ( Even though all the Cities are Bankrupt) also Mutti Merkel will push thru all her lousy ideas and no one will complain because of the Euphoria.

mickyrubble

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 08:49:25 pm »

Good grief!  Is every model boat enthusiast also a bloomin' foortball nut too?

FOOTBALL ! ha humbug,better off watching paint dry,.Rugby now thats a mans game. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 10:28:20 pm »

OK I'm now going to throw in an alternative view point and see what happens.  I work on a ship with somewhere in the region of seventy different nationalities, there are about 15-20 working for me!!

The world cup gives us all the opportunity to fly our own flags, enjoy a bit of banter and indulge ourselves in some good natured and light hearted chat.  I've rigged a TV up in the office and this afternoon we watched Italy v Paraguay and chided the Italians amongst us, basically getting our own back for them doing the same to us when England played.

The whole ship has a buzz about it at the moment and everyone is enjoying the comeradeship it is helping to promote as well as actually enjoying the games themselves.  It is all good natured, it is all good fun and we are all enjoying it.  Isn't that what it is all supposed to be about?

Dare I suggest that if people looked at these things a bit more globally we could perhaps get a bit more out of it rather than "I hate football", end of story?  To me this isn't football, it's the world cup, and it's a great opportunity to bring countries of the world together to enjoy each others company.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 10:43:01 pm »

I have to concede that in your particular situation it is probably a good thing BB. A crew is very different from the public at large and a lot of good natured banter is healthy in that environment.

PMK

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 11:14:12 pm »

Me, I never got too bothered about how many blokes I had working for me because I was  always more comfortable with the blokes working with me. Like you, we knew about comradeship, but perhaps with the only difference that we would have the balls to tell each other to our faces if we had any grievances (like as oppsosed to saying it in blue).
So what's the to-do, Mr Bunkerbarge? One minute you're all ready to share your steam knowledge with this oik, and the next minute you're jumping on my bones just because I'd said
Mate, you've heard plenty more colourful words in your time at sea, and I've even heard you use more than quite a few metaphors yourself.

I'm not jumping on any ones bones, just asking to keep it family orientated,  Thanks BB

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 11:55:58 pm »

Oh dear, :o I do seem to have upset some people  %) {-)

Vintagent, I'm wondering what are the many others reasons you wouldn't come to Australia? It's really quite nice, you know - well, I think it is anyway. The sun shines most of the time, the people are friendly, (some don't even play sport, so you would feel right at home) the beaches are beautiful, even the normally arid inland is looking glorious at present. Also, some of our sports people have actually been to school, even university  :o I've even noticed a few walking and chewing gum at the same time  %%, so they mustn't be as dumb as you seem to believe. If you're worried about snakes, spiders, crocodiles, dingoes, sharks, or any other dangerous creatures, then don't, they're probably more worried about you than you are of them  O0 Come to think of it, I haven't even seen any of the above for the last few days - it must be the cold weather :-)

You tell me not to part of the "ram-it-down-our-throats" compulsion, well, I'm not trying to ram sport down anyone's throat. But I say to you, don't be a part of the "denigrate all sports lovers" compulsion. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but you appear to be just as guilty of sport knocking, and belittling sport lovers, as you seem to think others are of promoting the love of sport.

PMK, I disagree with your assertion that all over weight kids are not into sport, you have only to look at sports fields here to see the little darlings trying to help themselves become "normal" - and sport does help. Obviously, there are those who will not make the effort.

We do have the option of tuning to other channels if sport is not your thing, perhaps this is one reason why Vintagent might like it here  O0

Well, I have to go, the World Cup is on TV.....again :D

Peter.

PMK

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »

Why would you suppose that? Leaving aside the tabloids, why...

Colin,
It's no secret that you and I have ever been what you might describe as the best of pals, and you probably won't believe a word when I say that I actually do have a load of respect. I've absolutely no desire to be branded a bad 'un for the rest of my days, , so, before I dig myself an even bigger hole, why are you so down on that Vintagent dude? If you scroll back up to post #17 you'll see that Sheerline had posed the exact same question, yet you never had a go at him.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2010, 05:39:28 am »

Good grief!  Is every model boat enthusiast also a bloomin' foortball nut too?

Football?... Oh, is there a match on?...

Sorry, I was watching the Le Mans 24 hour and the Canadian F1 GP.... oh, and installing windows in the MHT wheelhouse..

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2010, 06:49:55 am »

Sorry, I was watching the Le Mans 24 hour and the Canadian F1 GP.

A perfect example of the freedoms available in our respective societies  :-)) Personally, I can't get too excited about watching cars go around a track, although I have been known to do so  :embarrassed: (Damn  >>:-( Mark Webber missed out on a podium finish) but, if someone else likes doing that then good luck to them, I don't have a problem. However, I don't rubbish them for doing so. Keep enjoying the motor racing Toes  :-)

Peter.

BrianCartwright

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2010, 08:00:04 am »

Lets look at this from a different angle
Football is all about 22 men kicking hell out of a leather bag of wind up and down a field.(OK so it's not leather anymore.They are paid half a million quid for 90min. work a week. :}
After a few weeks they go on a spending spree,a castle here,a mansion there,and of couse a yaght in the Bahamas.
When playing away they stop in the best hotels who cater for their every whim.
They are are always surrounded by beutifull young women and have the pick of the bunch.
They go to the gym but don't need to do anything as every excersise is done for them by their team of physios.
Saunas,swimming pools,sunshine,it's all there.They must get exausted and I'm sure very bored.
I don't think I could cope with that sort of lifestyle (MUCH) Much better the way I am.A hand full of pills every morning,get out of bed and get all the creaking joints moving That's enough challenge for me.
I'll finish now as my wife says I'm turning a peculiar shade of green

Regards to all
I don't dislike football really.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 09:03:49 am »

We are just jousting PMK, don't worry about it.

However I don't think I will be making any more posts on this topic as it's getting a bit too heavy for my liking.

I may look into buying one of those Vuvuzela things though - just the job for chasing the squirrels and pigeons out of my garden, they won't stop until they're in the next County.

Colin

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 09:22:41 am »

The organisers of the football stated that if the vuvuvela's( spelling police :police:)  ended up being thrown onto the pitch they may consider banning them. Given that most appear to hate the racket, perhaps the visiting fans should buy them and start lobbing them onto the pitch!......Oh no, whats happening to me? I'm talking about ruddy football..... AAAAARGH!!!  <:(
Somone call nursey ... quick!!!!

vintagent

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 11:35:05 am »

My grandchildren were bought one of those hooters each. lasted all of three minutes before Mummy took them away!

Peter Fitness, I'm not rubbishing you or Australia. I don't even know you. My brother lives in Perth and appears to be getting along OK, but no way I'd visit.  Too hot, dusty and I don't like the antipodean accent.  There...better be honest, eh? And I don't really care , truth be known, about Australia, fat kids, newspapers and most of all...football.
I make models amongst other interests and was just moved to comment how the forums have changed because of football.
Then it'll be Badders, then in a couple of years, the Olympics.
Gawd help us all.

Regards,
Viintagent

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 11:17:51 pm »

Vintagent, let me get this straight, you haven't been to Australia....... but you don't like it??? :o  %%

Never mind, we'll struggle on without you  O0 .....and keep enjoying our sport  {-).

We do have one thing in common, we both build model boats  :-)) However, unlike you, it would seem, I try to keep an open mind, and don't make judgements based on assumptions.

Peter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.