Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I soooo need help  (Read 5170 times)

clivecr

I soooo need help
« on: June 14, 2010, 03:40:51 pm »

hi my name is Clive, I have a mild Learning Dis. and as such I have always had a lot of time on my hands and so I took up modelling making years again. I love it and am addicted to modelling making.
I have built radio-controlled tanks,boats and also static display wooden boats.
I am currently building the Bismark, the Victory, the Cutty Sark and a remote controlled Frigate.
 I have a problem with building the Cutty Sark that I hope someone on this forum can help with.
The lower part of the ships hullis lined with metal plating that simulatesthe copper strakes on the original. I have tried various glues with no success and on the plans it says use instant glue and I have no idea which glue they are talking about. I have tried
Superglue
Wood glue
Hot glue
so over to you guys

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I soooo need help
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 04:14:05 pm »

I am assuming that the model is static and therefore the glue does not need to be waterproof?  If this is the case the instant glue being refrred to is almost certainly cyano glue or 'Superglue', which should do the job.

If it isn't working you may have a problem with grease on either the hull or the plate so a wipe down with a solvent may be worthwhile.  You could also experiment with the different types of superglue as there are gels and thin types, one of which may be more suitable.  If you are glueing directly yo an unsealed hull the glue will soak into the wood before it has a chance to set which could also be a challenge and so you may need a coat of primer to seal it.

Tell us a bit more detail about the surfaces and materials you are dealing with and i'm sure we will be able to help.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:26:02 pm »

If it's going to be a non floater, one that will certainly work is "Evo-Stik" thinned and applied to both surfaces.

Might have a different name now but the type is classed as an Impact Adhesive,  -- a glue sniffers nirvana.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 04:54:44 pm »

The trouble is now Ian, you can't buy the traditional Evo-Stick that we both know and love to sniff.  To protect our kiddies nostrils from such horrible chemicals the latest version of the glue is a white water based glue that is a long way from the original and nowhere near as effective.  I was amazed when I bought a tube a year or so ago and thought I'd bought the wrong glue when I squeezed the stuff out. 

It's now a bit more like Copydex than anything else.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

ian kennedy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 05:51:05 pm »

Hi Chaps,

Evo stick contact adhesive is still available in both solvent (red and silver container) and acrylic (green and white container) I know as i just bought some of each from B&Q today !! I used this for attaching the 2,700 odd copper plates onto the bottom of a timber built working model and it works well.

One thing to watch out for is that the copper plates should be sealed either with a good 2 pack varnish or SP113 finishing resin to seal the plate joints.......I found this out the first time i sailed the model as some water creep and high temperature caused some blistering of the plating.

Ian

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 06:04:25 pm »

Remember using "The Green Stuff" in industry years ago, this is where the coat both surfaces came from Richard, but as you've mentioned it, what about Copydex?? Latex Adhesive, back to sealing the surface again.

With such a proliferation of sticky stuff available now, how the h*ll did we manage to build Crash Tenders and Waveriders?? Not to mention "Valspar"

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

vintagent

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 07:15:35 pm »

BB, I noticed that too!  I have always been a major proponent of Evo-Stik.  Our house used to stink of it for weeks once the old man started veneering everything, but it has indeed gone all milky and ineffective.  They don't tell us or ask our permissions do they?  They just change it for the worse, like most things.
Is the option still there of the old, proper stuff, maybe in tins instead of tubes?
Or should we all go over to Thixofix.
Or have Dunlop messed that up too?

Why can't they leave things alone.
So what if some stupid kid kills himself?
He knew the risk, gambled, lost...move on.  Legalise drugs!!

Regards,
Viintagent

BoatyBoy

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:35 pm »

The trouble is now Ian, you can't buy the traditional Evo-Stick that we both know and love to sniff.  To protect our kiddies nostrils from such horrible chemicals the latest version of the glue is a white water based glue that is a long way from the original and nowhere near as effective.  I was amazed when I bought a tube a year or so ago and thought I'd bought the wrong glue when I squeezed the stuff out.

It's now a bit more like Copydex than anything else.

I bought a tube of "propper" Evostik from B&Q about a month ago  :-)) (that white, water-based stuff is rubbish)

vintagent

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 09:22:38 pm »

Boatyboy!!!
What does the packaging look like???
My crappy stuff looks just like the old box, but what's inside is bogies with no glue in 'em!

Regards,
Vintagent

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 10:40:49 pm »

I Just got a large tube of Evo-Stik Impact adhesive from our local B&Q and also a tube of Bostick contact adhesive ----looks and smells like the same old stuff to me and I've been using it for years
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

DARLEK1

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 11:00:18 pm »

They still sell it in it's origional form, normally locked in a cabinet or something but they do sell it, I have got a tube of Evo and also Bostik here I got recently.
 Paul...

clivecr

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 02:45:40 pm »

thxnks guys will try things you have suggested and let you know

regiment

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 05:54:56 pm »

my mate brought a product the oyher day called power made by uhu just the same as the old evo stick bit cheaper as well  and just as good  and the same smell regiment

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 06:41:21 pm »

BB, I noticed that too!  I have always been a major proponent of Evo-Stik.  Our house used to stink of it for weeks once the old man started veneering everything, but it has indeed gone all milky and ineffective.  They don't tell us or ask our permissions do they?  They just change it for the worse, like most things.
Is the option still there of the old, proper stuff, maybe in tins instead of tubes?
Or should we all go over to Thixofix.
Or have Dunlop messed that up too?

Why can't they leave things alone.
So what if some stupid kid kills himself?
He knew the risk, gambled, lost...move on.  Legalise drugs!!

Regards,
Viintagent

Thixofix!?! I havent seen that in years
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

vintagent

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 07:44:54 pm »

Yup, Thixofix is still available. Saw some recently, but being in a tin it's a big outlay if you only want little bits.
But if you're putting on veneer "planks" it makes good sense because you can spread it with an old credit card very evenly which is where it and OLD Evo-Stik work best.
Regards,
Vintagent

HawkEye

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 09:20:23 pm »

I use this to bond all sorts of surfaces together at work and on models - even as a filler sometimes, waterproof and stays slightly flexable.
Excess can be removed with white spirit before it hardens. :-)

Can be found in Screwfix, Jewsons and other d.i.y. stores.

"Sticks Like Sh*t 290ml l. Sticks to almost anything. Bonds to porous, non-porous and wet surfaces and works under water".

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 04:35:58 am »

I use this to bond all sorts of surfaces together at work and on models - even as a filler sometimes, waterproof and stays slightly flexable.
Excess can be removed with white spirit before it hardens. :-)

Can be found in Screwfix, Jewsons and other d.i.y. stores.

"Sticks Like Sh*t 290ml l. Sticks to almost anything. Bonds to porous, non-porous and wet surfaces and works under water".

Forgive my stupidity but is that stuff real?  {-)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

vintagent

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 09:44:06 am »

Yes, it's real alright.  Used to see it at my local timber yard when I was at the boatyard.
I've never used it though. So no comment.
I sometimes wonder if these things (and there are many brands) are all they claim to be, but Hawkeye's impressed, clearly.
Regards,
Vintagent

HawkEye

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 09:19:38 pm »

Oh yes it's real, been around a few years now, made by Evo Stick I believe. It's one of those products that suits these sorts of applications where one surface is porous ( or not ) , give it a try you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Bear in mind though that the tube seems spoil after about 8 weeks at room temp. no matter how well you seal it  >>:-( .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.