Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fairey spearfish , twin brushless motors  (Read 5392 times)

triumphjon

fairey spearfish , twin brushless motors
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:00:12 pm »

im starting to biuld a 1/12th scale spearfish ,starting with a grp hull/ deck the superstructure will be biult in birch ply & veneered where required . i aim to install twin shafts & modern brushless motors which will be midships as per full sized craft . has anybody else fitted brushless to a spearfish or the simalar huntsman hull , & what sizzze of motors are they please ?  my last huntsman ran a pair of 600 brushed motors which gave resonable performance ( sadly i sold it to finance something else )  regards jon

nick_75au

Re: fairey spearfish , twin brushless motors
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 08:14:34 am »

Do you Know what size prop you want to use, Is it the MFA spearfish?
Nick

triumphjon

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:18:30 pm »

its the old mfa spearfish upto deck level , everythig else will be plywood , im hopeing to use scale 3 blade props as per full size , havent hed confirmation of the sizes yet , 

red181

• Full Mayhemer

nick_75au

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 05:06:29 am »

Hi,
so around 40-50 mm props at a rough guess, Ive been following reds build as well :-))

Depending on the voltage you could go direct drive, with a lower Kv motor, a 36 mm diameter outrunner at 800 Kv  will easily power the boat, "dial a voltage" to get the performance you want, 12 volts will get you planing or Red181's 19.2 volts will have you flying.

Nick

triumphjon

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:04:48 pm »

i was intending direct drive , as most of the gearboxes ive encountered seem noisey in use !  id also prefer not to have to resort the loads of batteries to get the performance , i know that there is a trade off between large amounts of volts = lloads of speed ! im looking for scale performance as opposed to race speeds !

vintagent

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 04:34:23 pm »

triumphjon, would you be using these pesky LiPos or normal batteries?
I have brushless motors and ESCs for them, but don't dig the costs of LiPo accessories.

Regards,
Vintagent

steamboatbob

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 11:04:59 am »

Lipos are only expensive when you buy from the wrong place

try here

http://www.rcecho.com/home.php?cat=343

i buy from these guys and ran their batteries for over a year and had no problems with them whatsoever all you have to remember is to keep them balanced

vintagent

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 11:15:10 am »

Thanks, steamboat, but that's my point.  Balancers, special chargers, do this, do that, beware everything. 
Too much hassle.
I'll NiCad or Nimh it.  I have NiMhs and suitable chargers.

I have two LiPo packs if anyone wants to swap me for NiCads or NiMhs.

Regards,
Vintagent

triumphjon

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 06:07:42 pm »

no lipos , im sticking to nimh packs , as ive already got some & the charger . i also run my other models on standard 7.2 volt packs . ive taken the plunge & ordered a pair of 2826/09 motors and a pair of escs to cope , my local shop has ordered them for me . just have to wait to get them in a hull ! !  also had the fairey prop size converted into scale  by propshop , they are recomending a pair of 35mm 3 bladed scale jobbies  !  at least i can keep the shaft angles a bit shallower ? now debating  a pair of working trim tabs via my tx ? ?

vintagent

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 04:14:05 pm »

Jon, thanks for the reassurance about ordinary batteries.  How far are you along with this exciting project?
The brushless fascinate me, so I'm drawing up a design for a smallish o/b to take one of my outrunners. I want to put it in a black and chrome tower of power Mercury body on a scale kneeler.

BTW, PM me for pics of the Fairey Cinderella, I have a couple.

Regards,
Vintagent

Flying Sparks

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 08:01:20 am »

I have two LiPo packs if anyone wants to swap me for NiCads or NiMhs.

Vintagent

I use Lipos and NiMhi, if you you want to swap out some Lipo let me know. What size are they?

If you decide to persevere with Lipo they are no big deal, you can buy a charger/balancer unit for about £35-£40 that will also charge NiCad, NiMhi, lead etc.

Phil.

vintagent

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 10:39:00 am »

Flying Sparks,
PM coming.

Regards,
Vintagent
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.