Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soldering  (Read 2485 times)

Nordsee

Soldering
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:39:21 pm »

I have got to do some soldering on Square steel tube, approx half inch square, It is Galvanised, so can I use normal Flux or do I need something special? It hasn't got to carry any real load, just joining that is all. I suppose I could use 2 part Epoxy, what do you think?

craftysod

Re: Soldering
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:47:36 pm »

You will have to remove galvanising,adverse reaction to heat,and you need two clean surfaces for metal to bond together

chingdevil

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:47:38 pm »

If it is steel it will not solder very easy, you will be better off with silver solder but you will still need to have a bright clean surface to do it so clean off the galvanise. Wear a mask when you do it, remember it is zinc.

Brian

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:04:31 pm »

Solder? Rivets.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:24:39 pm »

Braze
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 07:44:43 am »

Metal to metal without soldering,
 I use JB Weld, excellent stuff, if you cant get it at your local motor factors shop, it,s on e,bay
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 09:39:21 am »

So many ways to skin a cat! If you really want to soft solder it, you will as previously stated have to thouroughly clean off any traces of zinc, use of a grinder is beneficial. When this is done, I would be inclined NOT to use wet N dry paper to clean the surface, the paper appears to ingrain the steel with small particles which repel solder, with the grinder the freshly ground steel surface is more pure . I would also use a good acid flux such as that obtained from a plumbers merchant.
The next most important aspect of this job is temperture control, I suspect you will use a blowtorch and this is something you should be very careful with because if you raise the temerature of the steel excessively it will begin to 'blue', form a scale and no soft solder flux in the world will break it down. With careful control of the heat you will be able to solder it but it is tricky and experience here counts for everything.
Give it a whirl, if it fails you will at least have tried  and will learn something from the experience, in anycase, you can re-grind it and have several go's at it until you succeed.

Personally I would reach for the brazing equipment every time but this or other options may not be available to you .
It can be done so stick with it (no pun) and good luck.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 01:19:39 pm »

Another two ways to remove the zinc, Battery acid, swish the end of the tube in dilute Sulphuric acid but don't smoke or naked lights near it (Gas bubbling off is Hydrogen) or a more trendy way is to keep the end dipped in Vinegar, White, preferably Heinz.   O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 02:43:45 pm »

I didn't know that Circlip... nice tip! :-))

Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 01:22:26 am »

A traditional flux is 'killed spirits' which was made fresh by dropping bits of zinc into hydrochloric acid in the days when you could actually buy such component parts and not a branded bottle of the same thing diluted ten times.
Well you've got the zinc so maybe applying the acid as you heat it would ensure a dead clean fluxed surface. Don't worry about gas being produced, there won't be enough to light a cigarette. Some commercial loo cleaners used to be hydrochloric acid, probably considered too dangerous now.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:03:33 am »

School Chemmy Sheerline.

H2So4 + Zn  =  H2 + ZnSo4

Simbilarly if yer chuck in lumps of Copper instead of the Zinc yer get Hydrogen plus Copper Sulphate. So when you've pickled your Copper in Dilute sulphuric, you end up with a marking out fluid to rub on Steel bits and scribe through.

The Vinager trick is a "Green" application like using Citric acid instead of Sulphuric.

Regards  Ian.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 12:58:46 pm »

Blimey Circlip, it's been years since I did chemistry. I guess if I had call to use what I had  learned it would probably stick but these things do fade as time goes on. I wasn't much good at remembering formulae in any case...or history dates for that matter.
Thanks for the tips though, they will be useful and NO, I won't forget as I will probably do a little experiment when I get a break.
There is no substitute for hands on experience.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 01:34:35 pm »

Strange how as we get older, we can remember crap that was beaten into us all those years ago (Our Chemmie teacher emphasised the point with a Bunsen Burner Tube) but I can't now remember who I'm answering??  :embarrassed:

Regards  Ian.

Nordsee

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 07:59:53 pm »

Thanks everyone for the good advice, I think I may resort to Modern adhesives, or not so Modern ones! That or a good old fashioned nut and bolt right through both bits, should do the job. Just didn't fancy boring holes in all that Steel!

craftysod

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 08:09:56 pm »

Nordsee,
If you can explain,what you are requiring to do,there may be other answers to your problem

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 10:48:12 pm »

Poor Johnny's dead and gone now , His face we'll see no more,  For what he thought was H2o  was H2 So4
Freebooter :-))
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.