Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mini s.d.m tug  (Read 3083 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
mini s.d.m tug
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:50:55 pm »

After building the tractor tug i decided to have a go at a tug using the little schottel drives ,
built on the same principle as the tractor tug using a ply deck and polystyreen for buyancy and the shape of the hull it was quickly built (about 2 weeks of and on waiting for stuff to dry)
so not to post loads of pictures of the build on here i have uploaded them to my photobucket site .
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u176/darran77/Mini%20ship%20docking%20tug/
Water trials will hopefully be at the CADMA show on saturday , that's if they have the porta pond .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Umi_Ryuzuki

Re: mini s.d.m tug
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:34:18 am »

Wow, that looks almost finished already...

I started a mini, 1/96 scale, but got a bit hung at the drives, and propellers...

%)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:41:32 pm »

Its funny how different people can build simular vessels but they can be completly different ,
Yours look great compaired to my efforts but then again you are good :-)) .
I did however get the baby on the pond at CADMA (no pic's from me) and after a little problem she went underway  , well sort of its performance was like a chess piece
the one that can only go at 90deg to its last move , i think due to the fact the steering was connected by a Y lead .
Next time i will risk it and go for independant steering.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

fatcat123

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 07:16:19 pm »

Hi,

I notice the rc handset, it looks like a specktrum model with twin stick. Has this been modified or its it commercially available?

Dan

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 07:24:24 pm »

Its funny how different people can build simular vessels but they can be completly different ,

Well if we could get you to use a set of plans the outcome might be more alike.
Maybe get the length to width proportions a bit more accurate...
 NAAAAHhhh!

{-)

http://www.seabulktowing.com/assets/pdfs/SBLK%20Towing%20TwinZ%20SDM%20MKII.pdf

The spektrum radio was modified...twice... Once to get the twin sticks, then once more to get it right..  %)
Sorry, it's not commercially available. However, I am interested in the new DX-10 for Europe only.
it has twin sliders in the center, that can be used for throttles, then twin joysticks, and a multitude of switches.

8)

fatcat123

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 07:46:03 pm »

The new kit looks nice. I currently own an F14 navy, but i want to switch to the digital age and keep the twinstick part of it. But theres nothing available on the market, its bonkers.

How difficult was the handset to convert?

Dan

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 07:38:17 pm »

The new kit looks nice. I currently own an F14 navy, but i want to switch to the digital age and keep the twinstick part of it. But theres nothing available on the market, its bonkers.

How difficult was the handset to convert?

Dan

Well it took two tries... It is nothing electronic, it is purely a mechanical rearrangement of one of the transmitter
potentiometers, and replacement of the existing gimble. The first attempt tried to split the existing gimble and
mount them to either control pot side by side. However, the pot's could not support the gimble properly and
the sticks would sag to the center. 

The second attempt added a center support, and then replaced the existing gimble parts with some tooled ABS
rod. The rod was drilled to fit the potentiometer on one side, and then pinned to the center support. It was also
drilled for pin slightly off center, and two brass centering plates were created, similar to futaba centering plates, so
that if one desired, the sticks could spring to center. I couldn't have done it myself at the time, and I had help from
a fellow club member to get the second fittings correct.

Now, you can only discuss this further if you build an SDM, or Mini SDM tug...  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 22 queries.