Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BOW THRUSTER ?  (Read 4429 times)

STEVO

BOW THRUSTER ?
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:58:52 pm »

Hi all,

Does any one know if its a straight forward job to fit a bow thruster in an old Smit Rotterdam, it seems that there's quite a bit of internal superstructure about and there seems to be a couple of sections to play with but it looks as of it needs to sit low, this would suit dropping it in the second section, but would this be to far back?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. STEVO.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: BOW THRUSTER ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 03:43:46 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

STEVO

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:42:20 pm »

Thanks very much for your help Martin. :-))

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:54:36 pm »

It maybe easier to do without, I find if you don't have a thruster you learn to handle your tug satisfactorily with out. Personally I would rather have twin screws than a bow thruster, and if you all ready have twin screw then a thruster is more trouble than its worth. Handling a twin screw model makes you think a bit anyway without adding a third dimension.
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

STEVO

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:27:48 am »

Thanks,this SMIT is the london one,is there any difference to the Rotterdam,my one seems very old,may be 15-20 years?

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 12:20:01 pm »

It maybe easier to do without, I find if you don't have a thruster you learn to handle your tug satisfactorily with out. Personally I would rather have twin screws than a bow thruster, and if you all ready have twin screw then a thruster is more trouble than its worth. Handling a twin screw model makes you think a bit anyway without adding a third dimension.
Andy

I know where you're coming from on this Andy, as I was brought up on my Dad's real twin-screw tug, but here's the reply I just gave on another thread, which may be of interest to the OP. Tug is a Smit Nederland in this case, with twin props in fixed Korts, with Becker rudders.

First trial of the bow thrust was a bit of a let-down. The thruster worked for all of 30 seconds then the paddle slipped off the shaft.  Sad  Back home for a dab or two of epoxy!

Second trial went much better, though I discovered that I must replace the current ESC. It came with the tug and is probably one from a car - 100% power one way and about 50% the other.

Using thruster alone, the tug will turn more or less in her own length. OK, that's not new as using twin screws and Becker rudders, she turns on the spot anyway. However, it was interesting to see what could be done with the thruster in combination with screws and rudder. I couldn't get her to crab sideways but diagonal movement is possible. I think a bit of practice is required here!

Going astern with many models seems to be hit and miss, but I found that it was possible to go astern and correct any swings with a quick blast of the thruster.

When towing something heavy, or when acting as stern tug (towing over the stern), using the thruster is a useful way of swinging the tug's bow without changing the amount of pulling/braking force. OK, this could be done with rudder, but just a quick burst on the thrust produce the result quickly.

And of course, it's nice to apply a quick burst of thrust to move the bow away from the quay when leaving 'harbour', or as a gentle nudge alongside.

All in all, I'm well pleased. For relatively little outlay (approx £30 for the thruster, £5 for filler (tons left) and a few quid for sundries like wire and glue, it's added a new dimension to the tug. Well worth the money and time spent, iMHO.  Thumbs up

Thanks to those who have supplied info and help in getting it installed.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

STEVO

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:27:10 pm »

Thanks all for your comments,i think i will go ahead and fit one now. ok2

Sharky1dk

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 09:33:46 pm »

I'm in process of making a Rotterdam, with a thruster in it i guess it will be really hard to install it now if it was not in when you build the model. I am assuming that its the wooden Rotterdam from Billing you are mentioning.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.