Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kyosho Seawind sail servo  (Read 6977 times)

mbnye

Kyosho Seawind sail servo
« on: June 08, 2010, 11:43:41 am »

Anybody know for sure what sail servo fits the pre-molded servo tray of this kit? I think the Hitec HS-815BB will fit as near as I can tell, but would really appreciate confirmation before purchasing.

exvtop

Re: Kyosho Seawind sail servo
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 03:26:39 pm »

The Seawind instructions recommend a Futaba S3801

The specs for which are :-
Dimensions (mm): 28.8 x 59.2 x 49.8
Weight (grams): 107.0
Speed (sec): 0.26
Torque (Kg.cm): 14.00
Ball Raced: Yes

The Hi-Tec HS815 spec is :-
Dimensions (mm): 30.0 x 66.0 x 58.0
Weight (grams): 152.0
Speed (sec): 0.19
Torque (Kg.cm): 19.60
Ball Raced: Yes

A fair bit bigger and heavier than the Futaba but about half the price.

Hope this helps

Mike

Islander1951

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:07:48 pm »

Have a look at this one before you pay Futaba prices for servos:

http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/RadioControl/viewProduct.php?ProdID=4805

Plenty of power for that sail area, 1/3 the price, metal gears,etc.

Edward.

mbnye

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 12:22:16 am »

I have the instruction manual in front of me, and it does NOT recommend any certain make/brand sail servo. The mounting holes in the tray are about 2.6" apart as far as I can tell w/ my dial calipers.

Robert Davies

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 01:31:36 am »

I have the instruction manual in front of me, and it does NOT recommend any certain make/brand sail servo. The mounting holes in the tray are about 2.6" apart as far as I can tell w/ my dial calipers.

That's odd...

At the top of page two in my instructions under the heading "2. Sail control servo" beside the second bullet point it states "Sail control servo (Output torque 14kg/cm with FP S3801 just above that.

I *had* to go digging to find my printed instructions, because I knew I'd taken a specific servo number to Steve Webb Models to procure one. The layout's slightly different in this copy: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/downloads/manuals/40460-instructions.pdf but the serial number's there at the top of page two.

-Rob

mbnye

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 06:10:42 am »

...and there it is. Boy, do I feel dumb. Thank you, gentlemen, I will now sheepishly proceed.

Robert Davies

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 06:26:56 am »

...and there it is. Boy, do I feel dumb. Thank you, gentlemen, I will now sheepishly proceed.

No worries!  :-)

Just be prepared to shop around a bit for the best deal, they *ARE* pricey but will last and last, and in my opinion are worth going the extra mile for.

Any other questions you may have about building or sailing the SeaWind, feel free to ask! :-)

-Rob

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 05:02:11 am »

mbnye
The guys have provided some good information for you. Since I just recently put together a 1M Cabon Fiber Edition Seawind you may find the following information of interest. For my boat I used a Futaba S5301 (Sail) and a HiTec HS425BB (rudder). I added a custom servo arm to give a little more leverage to the servo. These servos perform to my full expectations.

I installed 1 X 7 strand Nylon Coated SS leader and adjustable turnbuckles to the shrouds and backstay, which adds strenght the mast and makes it very easy to tune the sails and to de-mast the boat for transportation. I included a picture of the factory set up, and a picture of the modified arrangement.

You may notice that I changed the sail control set up. I installed a deck mounted SS snap ring as a guide instead of using the plastic ring and double lines to each side of the deck. I also added and 2nd SS Snap ring as to join where the main and jib lines connect. I included a couple of photos that show these changes. To me the factory set up looks like a birds nest on the deck. (messy) The next set up is cleaner and more efficient

Seawinds are known for their leaky hatch design. I installed a custom up graded hatch assembly I got from RJ Timmerman (timmermann@neb.rr.com) for $38 USD, and well worth the price. (I included pictures of RJ's hatch upgrade kit)

The day we did our Sea Trials for this boat, we faced very windy conditions with gusts to 18 mph. I would not normally sail in winds this high, but we wanted to see how the boat would hanlde these conditions. Frankly, I was surprised, and came away with a new found respect for this boat. I included a picture of the boat "heeled over" in in 18 mph winds, holding course. The last picture is a stop action shot, notice the water is up to the starboard helm, no leaks!

In these winds, one would expect some know downs, I am happy to report this day, we did not have any. We did add some extra weight to the ballast becasue of the high wind conditions, which may have made the difference. Generally, the Seawind's rudder is a bit small for the amount of sail she comes with for sailing in the heavy stuff.
It is a fun boat!
I hope you enjoy your new boat!
Windchaser

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.