Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voyager's guide to realistic rust!  (Read 6605 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Voyager's guide to realistic rust!
« on: June 20, 2010, 02:11:55 am »

Hi all, I've been asked if I would show some of you how I do my realistic rust effects, so here I am  O0

I will post some more pictures of each step by step stage over the coming weeks, in between it'll give you the chance to aquire the materials needed. I use "Winton Oils" to do my rust, the colour you need is "Burnt Sienna" which is available in most good Art Shops or possibly even Hobby Craft. Those with a nervous hart condition may find it expensive to buy but, remember this!!!! What you'll buy in a tube will last you years..and years!!!!

The tools I use are:

1x Winton Oils (Burnt Sienna)
1x Pack of cotton buds.
1x Flat brush (fine or medium)
1x Fine pointed detail brush.
1x Bottle of White Spirit.
1x Jar of Tamiya (XF-9 Hull Red)
1x Jar of Tamiya Acrylic Thinners.

Next step coming soon!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Voyager's guide to realistic rust!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 12:45:57 pm »

Here's what you should have in front of you! (Not pictured, White Spirit, 2x mixing dishes)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 12:59:28 pm »

Poised and ready....................good thread.

John

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:07:35 pm »

Well on the plus side I've got all of them but on the minus side there are 2 1/2 thousand miles and eight weeks away!  Never mind I can still play when I get home.

I'm really looking forward to this Voyager and I hope that some members will give it a try and then post thier own examples.  I've had a go at a couple of rust techniques in the past but I think the best models use a combination of more than one method in different areas of the model so we can all benefit from some new ideas.  I've also thought though that the best rust effects are generated with oil paint so it's no surprise that yours look so good.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 01:16:31 pm »

The guide for rust in the follwing threads will only really work on light to medium colours, either in Enamel or Acrylic based paints. The rust won't show up on very dark colours, black being the worst and least effective base colour to use! The most effective colour is white, however, for best effect it's best to stick to either Satin or Matt. It's very important to allow the base colours to dry thoroughly before applying any rust, as all it will do once the white spirit hits will be to mix the base colour in with the rust and you'll end up having to repaint that area of your model again!!!

Firstly, decide as to the degree of weathering your going to have. My advice is, less is nearly always best! The most common mistake (regardless of experience) is to over do the weathering treatment. It's very difficult deciding when enough is enough, and it's hard work having to correct things afterwards if all goes wrong.

Right, that's my recommendation bit all done with, let's get on with the first stage:

*Start by finding a piece of plasti-card, roughly 5" or 6" inches square. Spray a light coat of plastic primer, white if you have some as that will save some time!
*Allow the paint to dry off, an hour should be long enough assuming your using Acrylic.
*Squeeze out a pea sized amount of "Burnt Sienna" into a mixing dish, and add some White Spirit.
(the viscosity we're looking for would be "Medium") You don't want it too watery as we want it to sit happily on our test piece without spreading out in all dirrections!
*Once you've had a little play with getting the viscosity just right then, using your fine brush apply some Burnt Sienna to the top area of your painted plasti-card.
*Allow this to sit and settle for at least 30-45min's at room temprature. You'll know when it's semi-dry once it turns dull in tone.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 02:01:28 pm »

Here is what you should have so far:

*I did a mixed series of blobs using Burnt Sienna which I will leave to semi-dry for 45 min's.
(To be noted: Oil paints depending on thickness can take several days of sometimes even weeks to fully dry) So, with that in mind, don't worry about it drying permanent like you would with most other paints as that won't happen with oils and can easily be removed if desired.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 04:22:23 pm »

Ok, now your ready to streak the semi-dryed Burnt Sienna. To do this you will need a few cotton buds and some White Spirit and your flat brush.

*Dip your cotton bud into the White Spirit and then dab it onto some tissue, you only want a hint of White Spirit.
*Dab your cotton bud (repeatedly) onto the Burnt Sienna and you'll notice it softens the effect of the Burnt Sienna.
*Now once your happy with the amount of remaining Burnt Sienna then it's time to start streaking the Burnt Sienna downwards.
You will need to do repeated strokes until you've got the desired effect you want.
*To greaten the effect use your flat brush (keep it dry and don't use White Spirit on this bit!) and brush downwards.

*Now leave it to dry off for a few hours before the next step begins....

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 04:33:07 pm »

In this step we will add some dark Tamiya XF-9 to add depth to the main points of the rust.

*Using a fine pointed brush very lightly and precisely apply the Tamiya XF-9 to areas where you want the rust to originate from.
(This is usually at the highest points of the rust).

*Here's a little top tip! To achieve very fine scratches it's best to use a cocktail stick to apply the paint  ok2

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 06:10:13 pm »

We're almost done!!!

In this picture I have added some Tamiya XF-9 to where the rust would originate from. If you look closely to the right in the image it shows you where I applied the Tamiya XF-9 using a fine brush. Now look to the left of the picture, here I applied to more Burnt Sienna on top of the Tamiya XF-9. The final application of Burnt Sienna has created a soft glow around the Tamiya XF-9. To seal everything in I would recommend a Satin or Matt sealer (Ronseal) applied using an airbrush, and that's pretty much all there is too it chaps  ok2

Hope this little guide has given you all advice you need  O0

I'm here for any questions? And what I would like to see is for anyone to post some pictures up for everyone to see each others rust work  O0 O0 O0

Voyager

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 07:05:27 pm »

Thanks very much for taking the time to show us. The look is excellent!  The process is simple.

John

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 07:10:29 pm »

Your very welcome John, hope to see how you use it sometime  ok2

Wayne

snowwolflair

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 07:15:29 pm »

A very interesting technique, I have always used iron powder mixed with water thinned PVA.  When it rusts enough, I streak it with a wet brush.  Once I am satisfied with the effect, I dry it with a hair dryer and then I coat it with gloss varnish to seal it then a coat of mat varnish to finish it off.  Tamiya rust powder is also very good but hard to waterproof.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 09:19:17 pm »

nice one voyager...... seeing as your local and frequent black park ... i could have a go myself and cock it up - or just hand you my next model to weather !!!!!

( but on a serious note, thanks, i'll have a go when i pluck up the courage)
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 10:01:01 pm »

I'm on hand should all go wrong (it won't...as my method is only permanent when your happy with the effect and you apply a clear coat). On the other hand, should I be spotted at Black Park then I'll make sure I have my running shoes on  ;D  {-)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 10:17:30 am »

Is the use of the tamiya acrylics a key part of the process? could other acrylic paints (eg Humbrol or artists) be used in place of tamiya paints?  The reason I ask is that they are not easy to source here in finland at a sensible price (Cheapest I have found is almost 8 euros a pot)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 10:37:57 am »

Is the use of the tamiya acrylics a key part of the process? could other acrylic paints (eg Humbrol or artists) be used in place of tamiya paints?  The reason I ask is that they are not easy to source here in finland at a sensible price (Cheapest I have found is almost 8 euros a pot)

Only by the fact it's Acrylic, and NOT Enamel based! The reason being, is that you can apply the Burnt Sienna Oils (Mixed with White Spirit) onto the Acrylic (Red-Brown) without the worry of the White Spirit attacking it. If it were Enamel based then for one you would have to wait until the Enamel (Red-Brown) has dried thoroughly, normally 24hrs. Secondly, if it isn't fully dry then there's every chance the two colours would murge which would be a dissaster.

Surprised to find out just how expensive Tamiya paints are to buy in Finland  :o Find a cheap Acrylic alternative (Red-Brown) in colour and the end result will be just as good.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 10:42:07 am »

I just want to thank Voyager for putting this very interesting thread together for us.  It's surprising to see just how straightforward the process is yet how amazingly effective it is.  Using this technique as a basis I'm sure I will be experimenting with slightly different colours and combining this with other methods of generating rust I have used in the past.

In answer to the previous post I'm sure that different manufacturers acrylics will be just as suitable but I would definately suggest experimenting on test sheets first.  It would be very useful then to post pictures on here so we can all see what works together and possibly what doesn't.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 10:54:58 am »

I just want to thank Voyager for putting this very interesting thread together for us.  It's surprising to see just how straightforward the process is yet how amazingly effective it is.  Using this technique as a basis I'm sure I will be experimenting with slightly different colours and combining this with other methods of generating rust I have used in the past.

In answer to the previous post I'm sure that different manufacturers acrylics will be just as suitable but I would definately suggest experimenting on test sheets first.  It would be very useful then to post pictures on here so we can all see what works together and possibly what doesn't.

Not a problem Bunkerbarge, I enjoyed putting it all together for everyone to try out  :-)

I also have two other methods to applying rust, and all just as simple as this one. I'm busy now for the next two weeks but when I get back I'll do another thread on weathering rust on dark base colours, as well as wet and dry rust.

Voyager.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 05:47:29 pm »

Thanks for posting the tutorial!
Definitely going to give this method a try, I have a box of cheap oil paints including Burnt Sienna and similar colours. Currently I mostly use washes (oil paints very heavily diluted in thinners) for rust weathering, along with drybrushed acrylic paint. Works OK for subtle touches of rust + grime, but your method gives the most realistic-looking representation of rust patches + streaking that I've seen. I suspect it'll come in handy when I build my "Sir Kay" armed trawler/minesweeper!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 11:55:19 am »

Hope the tutorial works for your minesweeper  ok2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.