Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OOYAH a Flash steamer.  (Read 22955 times)

ooyah/2

Re: OOYAH a Flash steamer.
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 08:10:59 pm »

Hi Phil,
Thank's for the info on prop size, I must try a bigger one on OOYAH.
I am trying to find the way to post pics so here is my first trial.
George.

ooyah/2

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 08:18:52 pm »

ooyah/2

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 08:29:55 pm »

Hi Phil,

Could you right click on the second pic and let me know what happens,
George.

geoff p

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 10:12:28 am »

George, that second picture comes up in postimage.org ( as I think it should) as bright as a button: it is 640 x 480 pixels and 84Kb and really shows good detail.

Now if you can do that again for some more pics ....

I'm fascinated by the whole flash-steam/monotube-boiler scene, mostly at the low-pressure, easily-made generator end of things.

Geoff

ooyah/2

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 07:53:21 pm »

Hi Geoff,
Here are some pics of the engine build as requested I will post another set of pics of the coil and casing. Click on image for full size
George.

ooyah/2

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 08:58:10 pm »

Hi Geoff,
Here is a Cross Section of the 120mph R Kirtleys engine that I have copied, it will let you see how it works..
will post pics of Coil and Casing next.
George.

ooyah/2

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 09:06:42 pm »

Hi Geoff ,
Here are pics of Coil & Burners. Burner jets (3 off ) each with .025" holes.

benjaml1

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 08:50:12 am »

Incredible stuff.... :-))

geoff p

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2010, 11:18:02 am »

Splendid pics, George - as they say, worth a thousand words.

The 'tee' off the steam supply at the engine goes to a cylindrical tank.  Is that a displacement lubricator?  It looks to be a long way from the engine if it is?

Also, there are no connections (yet) to the fuel and water pumps, so how are you pumping dais items?

Geoff

ooyah/2

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2010, 08:54:41 pm »

Hi Geoff,
Well spotted, that pic is one that I had taken before all was piped up.
The lubricator is a hydrostatic lubricator and is operated by the water pressure.  The water is pumped from the delivery side of the pump to the cross piece and then goes to the bottom of the lubricator which has a free fall piston inside, the water pressure pushes the piston up to the top and the oil is delivered through a .030" dia hole every time the valve opens, I push the piston to the bottom and fill the lubricator before starting.
The other pipe goes to the blow down valve which stops the engine and the straight through is to the coil.

As I use pond water I have installed a paper filter to the water line, these are bought on e-bay from car accessory suppliers as fuel filters, I through them away when they start to discolour.

Hope this answers your question.
George.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 12:49:13 pm »

Great pics George, and a nice piece of work too. Sorry for the delay, this damn work thing keeps getting in the way. I hope to post some photos of mine when I get more than a few secs to myself.   :-))
Steamed up all the time

ooyah/2

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 11:10:45 am »

Hi Phil,
I would like to see some pics of your  V4 steam plant and boat and your New flashsteam project.

Your oscillating flash steam powered engine how long does it take to raise steam ?

George.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 02:33:27 pm »

Here is my V4, its single acting with piston valves. The second photo shows the drives for the 3 pumps, variable throw eccentric, which drives the fuel pump from the crank and the eccentric drives the water and oil pumps. 12 ft of stainless steel 316, with 3/16th bore. As you can see, its built a straight runner so I don't want it to go looney.

Phil
Steamed up all the time

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 02:34:38 pm »

Put all that together, and it does float........ {-)
Steamed up all the time

benjaml1

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 03:42:25 pm »

Brilliant...  :-))

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 08:04:50 pm »

Hi Phil,

You can understand why I'm trying to build a steam boat without an engine - I just haven't got that level of model engine buildings skills that you're demonstrating!

Ian (flashtwo)

flashtwo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 08:06:24 pm »

p.s.

and I include George's skills  in the above reply.

Ian.

ooyah/2

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 10:20:42 pm »

Hi Phil,
This is what I call a plumbers nightmare,bet you get many burnt fingers going in there.
I wouldn't like to try and catch it at 20mph +.
I have always admired you straight runners but there is just no interest up here in Glasgow although my club has quite a few steam boat modelers.
Black heath has a long history of Flashsteam straight runners but you are just too far away for me to drag my old bones down there.

Who built the engine?
How about an answer to how long it takes to raise steam in your Oscillator.

George.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2010, 10:02:49 am »

Sorry for got to answer, to get the little oscillator buzzing over from cold takes less than 60sec, and will run for a quite a few minuets (its only a small water tank).

The V4 was built by the late Arthur Cockman in 1965, he was a member of the Victoria Model Steam Boat Club until he passed away some 14 years ago. He was best known for his "IFIT" series of flash steam hydroplanes from the 30's onwards. In fact some of the pumps on the V4 come from "IFIT 4". It is a plumbers nightmare in there, and I have the burns to prove it. I got hold of it (from Auction) 4 years ago after it had been sitting in the Motor Boat Museum since his death. I stripped it down as it was seized solid, rebuilt it including a new flash coil which had blown. I have since rebuilt all the pumps and replaced some of the pipework (he had some strange idea's) and made a new stainless steel flame tube.
Steamed up all the time

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 07:24:42 pm »

hi there all

With a reference to Bob Kirtley's Pisces II steam engine, I was talking to Bob last Sunday and trying to encourage him to take part in this topic on the Forum.   At the present moment though I failed - I think the main reasoning behind it is that Bob likes to spend a lot of time in his workshop - he has to rebuild and repair the motor in Pisces II.  As I have said on another thread, Bob was in France competing with this model (which wasnt very successful due to inclement weather conditions).   Also, when Bob came back to England UK he was competing in the South.  Because of the new restrictions (I believe) or the set up they now put up a foam floating ring around the circumference of the hydro-plane run - for safety.   The wash was coming back off this and caused the hydro-plane to 'pound' or 'porpoise' consequently it snapped the crank-shaft of the engine.

Knowing Bob, it will be repaired by now.

Just a bit of a side-note.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

ooyah/2

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2010, 06:11:49 pm »

Hi Phil,
It's good to see that some body is looking after and rebuilding some of the engines that were built by some of the great names in early flashsteam racing.
I have spent many hours in the Mitchell library in Glasgow reading over the many articles in the M.E.  of the greats to mention but a few A.W. Martin,
 E.Westbury, Prof Chaddock,  Jim Bamford, A Cockman and Benson and Rayman not all in chronological order.
You are very privilaged to live amongst some of these guys who have done it and to throw ideas about to see if things would work.
Flashsteam high speed boats is an unknown thing in Scotland so it has been a long lonely road trying out things ,breaking and rebuilding but I think I got there in the end.
At present the boat is going a bit too fast and is becoming dangerous what with club members boating and the swans on the pond it's making me think again about the radio side of things, it only needs a glich on the stearing and you are in big trouble.
I had a happening about 3-weeks ago when at full bore the boat turned sharp left and had to be held on full right rudderto keep it straight, but not knowing what the trouble was I tried to straighten it up but it went full left and hit an ornamental light house in the pond and shot 4 ft in the air, landed and proceeded to keep going before the blow down valve servo answered and stop it.
It turned out that it was a length of cord attached to a 12 volt battery that had offset the rudder, as this is a public pond it was a mister nobody that had put the offending object in the water, super market trolleys have been fished out in the past so I have to be carefull.
Last question with your oscillating engine how do you feed the coil, electric pump or engine driven pump ? and at what speed ?
I am going to open another thread on an engine that I made in the style of A.W.Martin.
George.

WestCorkSteamer

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2013, 07:42:32 pm »

Hi Phil,

I know this is a very old thread now, but just had to thank you for buying and restoring Guinevere.
Arthur was my step father.
It was a family decision to sell his boats, and one that I was not happy about, and I've been looking for them ever since.
But I'm really glad that you have Guinevere and have been able to do it justice, which is more than I would have been able to do.
I am, finally, back into model making after a too long gap.
I'm also keeping an eye out for Arthur's IFIT 9, also sold at the same auction, and his traction engines and stationary engines which were disposed of before I had any clue that it was going to happen.

Thanks again, and happy steaming  :-)

Ron

K ridley

• Shipmate
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2019, 04:56:51 pm »

Hi Ron I have IFit 9 in my possession

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2019, 01:07:36 pm »

Have you fitted the new pumps  ;)
Steamed up all the time

K ridley

• Shipmate
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2019, 04:17:30 pm »

Hi phill
             I'm busy with a hydrostatic lubricator as per bob kirtleys drawings I'm going to use the pressurised blowlamp that is already in place.
As for the main water pump size I'm not sure trying to get some old copies of model engineer
I tried to run the motor on air but no luck Bob is going to take a look at the valve timing when he gets a minute
I'm in no rush and will probably bring it down to Victoria  club in the summer
Cheers
Kev
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.