Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stupid inquiry.  (Read 1462 times)

Boatswain

Stupid inquiry.
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »

Ok, I'll take all the flak you want to send me on this one.

As I am BRAND NEW to this hobby, I have but one question at this time.  How do you bond white metal parts to styrene and/or plastic?   :embarrassed:

I will be adding stanchions and railings as well as a bollard and a different funnel to my tug, "Cheryl Darlene" 

Thanks! :}

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Stupid inquiry.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:29:23 pm »

For Bollards and fittings superglue.
What type of stanchions are you using.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:32:40 pm »

I think most people would go for cyano superglue but just to be sure it would be a good idea to make a little peg to locate the fitting mechanically as well. This could just be a bit of stiff brass wire. Drill a small hole into the underside of the fitting and glue the peg in and then drill a corresponding hole in the position where the fitting will be fixed to the model. Then just glue it on. Much less likely to get knocked off that way.

Most stanchions will have a 'peg' on the bottom anyway.

No, it wasn't a stupid query at all.

Colin

Boatswain

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 07:47:56 pm »

Thanks for the advice.  I am using Fellini 3/4 inch tall, white metal 2 rail round stanchions. 

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 07:50:36 pm »

Superglue as said but don't paint the plastic first and I roughen the plastic it a bit for things like bollards.

HTH
Don't Assume Check

peter.dwight

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:06:28 pm »

Greetings to our new friend.
So, you only have ONE query? There is no such thing as a stupid inquiry, because you have come up against a problem and need advice. But you will not be the only one to have thought 'how do I do so and so'? That is the reason why there are sites like this one.
We are all keen to help each other to get the best from our hobby. Your question and the answers that it produces will add tremendously to the pool of information which is available to us all.

I would add one comment to those cited above which are perfectly correct, that is this. Think about what you want to do with your boat, is it likley to be towed by a tug for example or tied up to a jetty at the local lake? If it is then a glue only fixing is not sufficent you will also need some kind of mechanical fixing through the deck so that any load put on it will not crack the glue joint.

I hope the above helps and maybe prompts some others to add there thoughts and we can add to our fund of knowledge.
Not such a silly question after all.

Regards.
Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.