Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Veron Police Launch Plans  (Read 9589 times)

vintagent

Veron Police Launch Plans
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:52:06 am »

Hi all, it has come to my notice, via a friend to whom I sent a copy of my Veron Police Launch plans, that some of the draughtsmanship is a little, er...out of kilter!
For instance, the formers are drawn wider on the right of centre than the left, so please be careful ifyou are heading that way .
It could well be that it was intentional to stop people building from the "plans" and escaping kit costs in the day.

It therefore occurs to me that it might also apply to any number of other kit based drawings, which, let's face it, were only supplied as building diagrams for those who'd bought the kit. I haven't checked any of my Aerokits drawings, but would just counsel care if any of you have any.

Regards,
Vintagent

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Veron Police Launch Plans
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:21:17 am »

Thanks for pointing that out, I`m about to relive my teen years by building the Veron Police Launch.  My original had an ED Bee, air-cooled , no exhaust system, no glazing in cabin for cooling, very messy but I still like the smell of castor oil !  It was all balsa then and must have had the lopsided build as it was built from a tracing of a mate`s kit plan.  I think some ply will be used on the new one and of course it will be electrickery powered and radio-controlled.  Might up-date it to the new fangled flashing blue light . {:-{ Hmmmm, might wear a kid`s Bobby helmet at the lochside to keep `towerists` away. %% %% %%  :P  Is there a build thread on this model anywhere ?
..well can you land on this?

vintagent

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:54:03 am »

Nah!  Put the Bee back in.  Hours of fun never getting the devil to start!  I really am tempted to do that with a Frog 100 my brother just sent me.
The hell with R/C and all the costs...let it go and see what happens!   I believe the Victoria Model Boat Club call it "Steering competition"<g>

Regards,
Vintagent

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 12:30:58 pm »

No-can-do with the Bee , last seen in a F/F "Tomboy" heading upwards in circles and heading toward the Isle of Arran from the Low Green in Ayr.  Probably rusting on some Irish fisherman`s mantleshelf . Nope it is going to be "plug`n play". Oh yeah I have plans for a "Tomboy" or should that be eine "Thomasjugende" ...its from a German magazine , lots of rippenholze und so on.  Bee was an easy starter BTW, home brew fuel.  Put your Frog in a glass case...soft as , em.... PUTTY they were.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 12:32:45 pm »

"Electronic Developements" now there's a name to bring back many fond but some NOT memories.

ED Racer  :-))

ED Hornet  <*<

More like "Electrical Disaster"

Ya gotta luv Caster Oil.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

vintagent

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:49:53 pm »

Just for that, I'll put the Frog in something and see :-))

We used to make our own fuel too, but I doubt if you could get the stuff now.

Is Castrol R even sold any more?

Regards,
Vintagent

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 03:51:00 pm »

Well, 33.3% Ether, 33.3% Parraffin and 33.3% --- what about Virgin Olive Oyl?? It's a veggie like R

Regards  Ian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 04:11:55 pm »

Model Technics sell diesel fuel for model engines. That would be a place to enquire about oil,  old sparky engines need it too.  I would imagine Castrol R would be availble to the vintage racers,ERAs Cooper-JAPs and so on. Castor oil from chemist shops not recommended for engines.

vintagent

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 05:30:55 pm »

Parrafin????  Oh dear, that'll be where we went wrong then!
We used about 50 Ether, 40 Oil and a splash of benzene, which amazingly our local chemist sold us. He made more fuss about flogging us amyl nitrate as dope thinners!

Oh Lordy, all dem pongs is coming back to me!

Regards,
Vintagent

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 06:57:40 pm »

Vint, your memory IS getting fuzzy.   The amyl nitrate wasnt for thinning dope even if it was nitrate dope, it was used as a booster in the fuel (1/3rd parrafin, 1/3 ether meth, 1/3 non mineral oil, plus 1or 2% amyl nitrate). Start after three or four  flicks or your sttings were wrong, bit more on a cold day :D !

vintagent

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 07:59:13 pm »

Yeah, your absolutely right of course, it was amyl acetate that we used as dope thinners! Amyl nitrate in the fuel. Got it.
I must consult my Anarchists' Cook Book before I mix anything else!

Maybe I did get too much down me gullet!

Vintagent

rockets

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 08:16:40 pm »

You can still get Castrol R from race bike folk. I use it in my Garelli race bike.

Rockets.

vintagent

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 09:47:59 am »

Thanks, Rockets, that's good to know.
Regards, Vintagent.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 11:47:35 am »

It's understandable that a lot of older plans are quite badly distorted. They became stretched by early 'wet' copying systems and subsequent folding for convenient storage. Later these distorted/dried  plan copies were probably then used as masters to produce  further sets by similar processes.  Copies of original plans through generations of copying may have become very inaccurate.  {:-{
Modern plan copiers will further magnify these distortions/errors when these early plans are enlarged/scaled up. Measuring/checking with a straightedge reveals considerable inaccuracies in sizing and symmetry. Re-tracing/correcting  'out of kilter' plans from multi sheet sets can be even more fun.  :-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 12:12:01 pm »

:o ...ammonia plan printing was introduced to minimise dimensional distortartional effects...however even looking at 20 year old ammonia printed plan.....you need a cloths peg on your nose & mouth   :-X & wind screen wipers on your eyes  >>:-( O0 - Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

marcus,t

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 08:07:48 pm »

with regard to the firrst post, i obtained a set of said plans today, noticed thedifference on the bulkheads pretty much straight away! what i am wondering is, is it the left side that are the correct dimensions? thats if anyone has attempted building from theses plans?

eagerly awaiting a response as i want to crack on with the build!!!

regards

marcus :-))

LarryW

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 08:50:19 pm »

HI MARCUS i have  built this model from Waverley models who also does a F/G HULL,
    it built well but A lot   of trim and fit ,........ LARRY..

marcus,t

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 08:55:28 pm »

hi larry,

do you mind telling me how much you paind of waverly models as web site neglects a price list!

marcus

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 09:07:21 pm »

Marcus , I cant remember which side is the correct dimension. Build the box and it should be obvious, at a guess do the larger size and chop it if wrong. Sorry if that sounds stupid.

marcus,t

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 09:43:09 pm »

hi arrow,

thats the way i was heading!

cheers muchly

marcus :}

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 09:57:03 am »

As a heads up, saw on another forum that Colin Smith (The late Phil's son) is now in the position to be selling copies of his Dads plans.

No connection, just trying to keep another of the greats designs alive. Is any relation doing Vic Smeeds own copyright plans ? (NOT those toted by MHS or the flee merchant.)

Regards  Ian.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 05:09:28 pm »

Watching the Oxford/Cambridge  boat race 2011 live on BBC, I think I got a glimpse of a River Thames police launch (Veron style) at the finish line. Anybody confirm this ?  Edit, spotted another moored upstream about half way.

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 06:00:30 pm »

Yep I saw it too :-))
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

LarryW

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 09:09:18 pm »

YES I SAW IT TO a bit like this one :-)) .........also a little BOBBY  son of veron O0       LARRY W.......

sandy1000

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 07:45:04 am »

This brings back memories. I can recall that the two sides of the deckhouse did not match but it didn't matter because it was the first kit I ever built and at the age of 14 didn't worry too much about details so used pva water soluble glue which meant that it reverted back to being a kit again. My father, ever supportive, laughed long and hard so much so that I rebuilt it again this time with "Tarzan's Grip" which was more effective although only moderately so and therefore the illlustration on the tube of Tarzan strangling a lion could only be construed that the lion must have been old and feeble, so shame on you Tarzan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.