Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CB radios  (Read 3807 times)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
CB radios
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:33:36 pm »

I have been given a CB radio, no antenna BUT it does power up and a new antenna is 15 quid from maplins.

anyone still use this oldfangled technology?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

wbeedie

Re: CB radios
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:38:25 pm »

A new antenna ,, coax cable and cooker cable  or any decent length of two core 1.5 mm or 4 mm does the same strip out the two sheathed cores of power cable attach one to the coax shielding and the other to the core and make a T shape their you have an improvised ariel ,, a lot of fishing vessels up here still use them instead of broadcasting on the VHF marine radios to keep catches quiet,and still a lot uses them yet :-))

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:43:32 pm »

ha ha ha naught, take a few extra KG and throw them in the ships stores :D

new antenna will be for the car.  with the additional spurr in the wiring aback of the radio, i wander, has the one owner before me (yes i am my cars second owner) used it as a taxi??? i wander?!?!?!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 12:30:06 am »

ghost I have a  "A" amateur licence so know a bit about radio , what you have is a transmitter , transmitters need a resonant ant or you will blow the output transistor in a few min of transmitting so it need's to be a CB ant with the right matching or save time and just bin it because if you use it with a bit of cable striped back unless you are lucky and hit the right length to the mm its no good.

Peter

G0PAH

Dueller

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 12:47:58 am »

Do they still use SWR meters (Standing Wave Ratio) meters to set antenna length?
I used to use one in the old illegal AM days, before the government stuffed everyone by making British CB incompatible with the rest of the world by giving us FM.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 01:01:06 am »

Do they still use SWR meters (Standing Wave Ratio) meters to set antenna length?
I used to use one in the old illegal AM days, before the government stuffed everyone by making British CB incompatible with the rest of the world by giving us FM.

yes they still use VSWR meters to set up ant .

Peter

PMK

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 01:28:21 am »

Do they still use SWR meters?......

They sure do. (G'morning PeeWee, by the way).
You can buy one, such as this...

...or more fun to build your own...

This next radio is a tad naughty because it transmits on AM, FM and single-sideband modes as well. Also, it pumps out something like 40 Watts of juice on AM/FM, so there's no chance of it ever being legal in this country. (i.e: it's brilliant for sending slow-scan TV images to fellow operators in Italy and what-not).
I kinda lost interest in radio for the time being, so it's up for grabs.

...as too is this VHF/UHF radio sitting under the top shelf.

And Ghost, if it's any help, try this place for CB antennas...

http://www.kcb.co.uk/

Have fun!

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 08:56:50 am »

Those photos bring back a few memories, PMK. Love the dummy load can!

Back in the 'bad old days', we had a local '05 High Club', using SSB CB rigs. Then, one of us got a visit from the dreaded 'Buzby', as it was back then. He kindly suggested that the 1/2 wave Silver Rod dipole was disconnected forthwith, and casually mentioned that they knew all about 05 High, and expected the club to fold!

It did, we all went legit and got ham licences instead.

I still have an SSB set somewhere in the loft, must convert it to 10m someday.

Andy
G0CCX
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 09:42:42 am »

Good grief, that stirs the old grey cells a bit!

Back in the day I was known as 26 Delta International 22 and the wife was 26 Delta International 23. I can't remember the home frequency off hand, but it was on lsb, I can remember that.

I had several radios, a Cobra 148 GTX, a Superstar 360, a Ham International 747, President Grant, and a Colonel FR360, then took out a bank loan and bought myself a complete Yaesu FT-707 outfit as a home station and had it modded to cover virtually every band going. We even pirated the 10 metre band for a while...naughty! We then migrated down to 6.6mhz, even more illegal than 27mhz was! The authorities took a dim view of the 3 element Yagi beam aerial up on the roof of our house and the 45 metre long wire running round the garden...

Good days though, great fun trying to avoid the local Buzby(haven't heard that term for years!!)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:55:20 am »

Good grief, that stirs the old grey cells a bit!

. We even pirated the 10 metre band for a while...naughty! We then migrated down to 6.6mhz, even more illegal than 27mhz was! The authorities took a dim view of the 3 element Yagi beam aerial up on the roof of our house and the 45 metre long wire running round the garden...

Good days though, great fun trying to avoid the local Buzby(haven't heard that term for years!!)

so you interfeared with aircraft transmitions, that something to brag about. glad to hear it's your idea of fun.  but then it was not your life you where putting at risk

peter

Patrick Henry

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 09:58:42 am »

So what about the other legal users who inhabited the bands down there, then? Don't put all the blame on me, those bands were full of legal users...

Rich

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 10:06:24 am »

So what about the other legal users who inhabited the bands down there, then? Don't put all the blame on me, those bands were full of legal users...

Rich

Yes legal users who stay in there allocated bandwidth because they are trained to operate dedicated equipment that is tested and maintained  so it will not splatter and cause problems to other users, that is why they where dishing out Jail sentences because of the severity of the offence.

peter

Patrick Henry

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 10:16:28 am »

I don't think my Yaesu would have caused splattering to anyone chap...at the time I had a neighbour who was a licenced amateur radio operator, he helped me install the radio and all the aerials, checked everything through for me before I switched anything on, and kept an eye on me for my first few transmissions.

We had an arrangement that we operated at different times to each other so as not to cause interference to each other or any other operators locally, we lived in harmony for years like that.

My Yaesu was maintained properly at all times, and I considered myself a sensible operator then, and still do now.  Illegal yes...I admit that, but sensible like most of the sideband users were at the time.

Rich

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 10:26:53 am »

It's obvious you do not understand radio or you would not be making such remarks, just answer one question, why if you where such a good clever operator did you not go ant take the tests and do it legally ? the freq you where using where the transatlantic communication including the emergency freq's (that now use satphone as a primary) so you may not have been able to hear other band users, but they would of heard you.
it's not worth arguing with you as you obviously haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Peter

PLEASE READ

http://yachydda.co.uk/blog/2010/05/pirate-cbers-disrupt-net/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 11:35:36 am »

Ghost, you will never be Burt Reynolds.  You will not meet Daisy Duke.  Just use it as a paperweight.  ;D
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 11:44:42 am »

Now look what you've started Ghosty. As Malcolm says, use it as a paper weight it will save you trying to find someone to talk to.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Patrick Henry

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 11:52:58 am »

It's obvious you do not understand radio or you would not be making such remarks, just answer one question, why if you where such a good clever operator did you not go ant take the tests and do it legally ? the freq you where using where the transatlantic communication including the emergency freq's (that now use satphone as a primary) so you may not have been able to hear other band users, but they would of heard you.
it's not worth arguing with you as you obviously haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Peter

PLEASE READ

http://yachydda.co.uk/blog/2010/05/pirate-cbers-disrupt-net/

I have to say that I resent your remarks most strongly, you are throwing mud about in the desperate hope that it will stick to me...sorry chap, but you'll have to throw harder and with a much better aim.

I shall be expecting an apology at your earliest convenience..

Rich

modelfishingboats

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 12:06:04 pm »

Once again on this forum a member has posted a harmless post , and it has been dragged down to a slanging match !!!

It is plain to see that some people just cant be sensible and you know what , it spoils it for so many others ,, or do you not care how your remarks make the forum appear ???????

Andy

Patrick Henry

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 12:09:03 pm »

Well said, that man...

Rich

chingdevil

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 12:23:25 pm »

MODERATED

Once again it apears that certain members can not contribute to a thread without starting to become bullies. So game over this thread is locked.

Brian
Global Moderator
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.