Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: John King tug build  (Read 13197 times)

LarryW

John King tug build
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:24:44 pm »

hi i am half way scratch build tug john king ready for moter and prop any body help cheers larry.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: John King tug build
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 02:29:04 pm »

Hi Larry,
Judging from the photo, I'd say you would need a 1,000 Hp diesel and a 12inch propshaft!!!  ok2
What size is you model?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

LarryW

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 04:53:09 pm »

hi 34in long 9in beam 5in draft does this help if not i will down scrap yard with a blow torch larry {-)

ZZ56

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 04:10:18 am »

It doesn't say on the plans? 

If you have to figure it out from scratch, ask the Bristol Museum what the diameter of the fullsize propeller is. 

Scale that down to model size and round up to the nearest quarter inch or 5mm and look at this graph < http://matthewsmodelmarine.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/propgraph.jpg > which will tell you what is the maximum efficient RPM.  This is what you should aim for at the other end of the propshaft. 

I would go first to the nearest tool/appliance repair joint or parts surplus and ask if they have surplus electric motors there.  A lot of power drills/drivers use good Johnson DC motors and a lot of office machines have VERY good Buehler or Pittman motors.  They also publish spec sheets online so you can look up the specifications via the serial number. 

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 05:35:03 am »

Good advice on sourcing motors.  :-))
However I have not been able to find any form of identification on a lot of such motors  >>:-( and measuring the can is not much help because a couple of models share the same "can" size.  <:(
Don't suppose there any other way to identify the motor. {:-{ {:-{

ZZ56

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 06:14:04 am »

Good advice on sourcing motors.  :-))
However I have not been able to find any form of identification on a lot of such motors  >>:-( and measuring the can is not much help because a couple of models share the same "can" size.  <:(
Don't suppose there any other way to identify the motor. {:-{ {:-{

If it has no markings on it at all then it's a mystery.  You can work out the specifics yourself but, then you would already have bought it. 

If it does have a manufacturers name on it, try Google Image searching (manufacturer) DC motor.  You might get lucky and spot one that looks like yours, and be able to get some information from that.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 09:08:11 am »

Gathered as much.
Google image search is a good idea, thank you. :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:06:48 pm »

i know you have a slight problem as bristol industrial museum is closed for development , however  the steam locos are still at the back of the biulding ! one of the men that works for the industrial museum is MR CHRIS WEST  , who is also a keen model boat maker , he may be able to assist !  as for motors  id look at model motors direct who can supply good quality motors at reasonable cost . as john king was a bristol harbour tug ( now pba ) have you asked at the harbour masters office , baltic wharf , cumberland road , they may also be able to assist .  threr arent many  traditional scrap yards left in bristol , thats small street  in st phillips ,  pa salvage in tower rd, warmley , or avonmouth car spares , severn rd hallen . sorry i cant give you phone numbers as the only ones i have are personal mobile numbers ( i used to be in the trade in bristol )  everybody else breaks the cars & puts parts on a shelf !

LarryW

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 09:43:25 am »

thankyou all for info now know prop size just want moter and esc hope to find it soon cheers larry . :-))

LarryW

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 09:46:27 am »

sorry missed out prop size 70mm 3 blade larry :embarrassed:

ZZ56

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 09:43:23 pm »

That narrows it down a lot.   :}

70mm prop will take a maximum of around 5000 RPM, with a fair bit of torque.  You do not need that much just to move the boat around the pond

Possible 12v systems (links provided for reference):

-Pittman 14201, purchased used (hard to find at the moment). http://automationexpress.com/Products/DC_Motors/pdf/14203S010.pdf
-MFA Torpedo 800 http://cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mfa1114_1.html
-Buehler 1.13.043.242-series, purchased used http://www.princessauto.com/surplus/electrical/motors/8199044-12-vdc-motor
-MFA 950D motor and gearbox unit http://cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/mfa_950d61.html
-Graupner Speed 500 with Graupner3:1 reduction gearbox:  http://cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/graupner_1788.html + http://cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/gearboxes.html  the grey units at the page bottom, NOT the cheap mickey-mouse black units.

There are far too many possible speed controllers for me to list without wearing out my keyboard.  Mtronics, ACTion, Graupner, Astro Flight, Vantec and Robbe would all be good brands to look at.  15-20 amp capacity is fine, since you should place a fuse between the battery and controller that's rated at or just below the controller's maximum capacity anyways. 

LarryW

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 08:14:29 pm »

my john king ready for motor and bits :-))

octo

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 10:28:53 am »

Looking good Larry, :-)) Whats its history etc, I do love old type tugs, our generation I suppose?
All the best Tony.

LarryW

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 11:18:22 am »

hi there john king claim to fame is it worked Avon and Bristol docks and was one of the tugs that pulled the SS great Briton in to Bristol look at both boats on line for the full story its all in the news  down here , being a beginner and a ex land locked brummie now living in the west the boats in the docks got be interested in boat modeling,i have been at it a year now it fills in the boredom of retirement, cheers Larry. O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 11:33:09 am »

Looking good Larry!    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

LarryW

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 12:22:46 pm »

thank you still a bit to do yet, O0 Larry.

triumphjon

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 08:26:30 pm »

looking good , where are you planing to sail her ?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 09:13:53 pm »

Hi Larry

I'm following your build with great interest. You have made a super job of her   :-)), so much so, that I am going to have a go at building her myself.

For your information there is an article in Marine Modelling International (May 1999) that I have in front of me which describes the build by Jim Pottinger.  Although not a long article, there is enough to whet my appetite.

There would appear to be plans of this model in 1:24 scale  (around £16 these days!!)  and the write up describes quite a few interesting details of the Tug and her history.

As an ex Bristolian living not too far away, I was going to trip over to the Docks and take a few thousand pictures to aid my construction, but according to  'triumphjon',  the buildings are closed to the public. ( Thank you for the info, you've saved me a few gallons of petrol  :-)) ).    I might consider sailing around the back to access a good view, as she reported to be afloat.   %)

How are you getting on in the motor department ?  I will have to consider this so please let us know what works best.

Catch you again

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

triumphjon

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 09:48:31 pm »

tug kenny , it may be worth checking with the bristol city museum as the industrial museum was under the same collection although housed at the dockside , as far as im aware its only the biulding thats closed for refurbishment ( or bristol council wasteing yet more money ! ) the tug along with pyronaut and the steam tug ( sorry cant remember its name ! )  was still moored outside the biulding . alternitivly there is a small maritime museum next to the ss great britian they may also be able to assist . unfortunatly like you ive defected too ,,im now liveing in cleaner & sunneyer portsmouth !

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 10:36:28 pm »

Hi Jon,

Thank you for that. I shall have a go at contacting people and let you know how I get on.  If I talk to them on the 'Phone' they will think it's a 'local boy' with my accent.   :}

This is taking off now. I can get back to TUG building. Yippee   :-)) :-)) :-))

Sorry to hijack your thread Larry.

Ken

LarryW

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 10:53:04 am »

hi tug heres pic to get you started i stack of pics if you get stuck on any thing .cheers larry. :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 05:15:37 pm »

I am mailing you privately. Thanks for the picture

Ken 

LarryW

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 08:03:35 pm »

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 08:12:40 pm »

:-))  :-))   smashing

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 03:37:49 pm »

Further developments on my front.

There is a Harbour festival on this weekend  (31st July) and the John King will be sailing up and down taking passengers on trips around the Harbour. I'd better get on board with a Forum name like mine, methinks.  ;)

I have been in contact with Andy King and he has the ship's drawings at £10 a set, so that's a good starting point. The details of the Museum are as follows, if anyone wants a set  :-

Museum of Bristol project,
    "L" shed office
     Wapping road
     Bristol  BS1 4RN. 
     tel  0117 9031569

If you want to visit, then the place is down by the Swing bridge in Cumberland Basin.

How you getting on Larry ?

Hope this helps

Ken

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.