Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: driving licence  (Read 11493 times)

regiment

driving licence
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:51:34 pm »

i know this is not a boat subject but if somebody from  auisse  came to live here could they drive  a car here on a auisse licence

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: driving licence
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 05:55:54 pm »

i know this is not a boat subject but if somebody from  auisse  came to live here could they drive  a car here on a auisse licence

I've driven in Britain on my Canadian license, as a tourist, so it shouldn't be a problem. Unless, of course, they drive funny in the land of Oz.  %)

John

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 05:57:42 pm »

They can Gordon but only for a certain period of time,

GB has reciprocal exchange agreements with Gibraltar and 15 designated countries.

The designated countries are:

Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands*, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea*, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.

If you are a visitor in GB, and hold full ordinary entitlement, you can drive any category of vehicle, up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to eight passenger seats, shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the date you last entered GB, whether or not you brought the vehicle into GB. If you also hold full entitlement to drive large lorries or buses you are only allowed to drive large vehicles registered outside the GB that you have driven into the country.

If you are a resident in GB and provided your full licence remains valid, you can drive small vehicles for 12 months from the time you became resident. To ensure continuous driving entitlement, you must exchange your licence for a GB one before the 12 months end.

If you do not do this you must stop driving although you may apply to exchange your licence at any time within five years of becoming resident.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

regiment

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 07:28:38 pm »

thank you all my friend s mate is coming over  here and we were not sure

BJ

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 08:46:39 pm »

For 12 months only THEN you have problems!!!!!!!!!

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 11:08:16 pm »

For 12 months only THEN you have problems!!!!!!!!!

<:( O0 <:(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 11:36:51 pm »

I have driven on my Australian licence on all 3 visits to the UK. It is quite acceptable to all car hire companies  O0

Peter.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:01:47 pm »

Yup, 12 months it is. When I moved here 6 years ago, that was the deal, but when I went to change it to a full UK, they said can you prove you did your test on a manual, hmm, lets see, they didn't even have computers back then where I took my test.
I complained up the food chain, and settled on the possibility of having to redo a road test on a manual, a low and behold what came back but a full UK license, go figure, go far enough up the line manager chain and you might just succeed.

Happy motoring, ha in the UK during the summer...my 5 mile drive home at night noe takes 40 minutes, the price I pay for living in the English Riveria, funny not much French spoken round here, :}

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 10:11:38 pm »

Yup, 12 months it is. When I moved here 6 years ago, that was the deal, but when I went to change it to a full UK, they said can you prove you did your test on a manual, hmm, lets see, they didn't even have computers back then where I took my test.
I complained up the food chain, and settled on the possibility of having to redo a road test on a manual, a low and behold what came back but a full UK license, go figure, go far enough up the line manager chain and you might just succeed.

Happy motoring, ha in the UK during the summer...my 5 mile drive home at night noe takes 40 minutes, the price I pay for living in the English Riveria, funny not much French spoken round here, :}

Didn't know you needed a separate license for manual over there. I'd have a hard time proving it too, they don't record that stuff over here. Yet I've driven a manual all my driving life. I also learned, when we were over your way last September, you need a separate license for hauling a trailer. Don't need one of those here either.
  Bummer on the driving time for 5 miles. Its like being in Toronto. Meanwhile out here in never never land I do five miles in 5 minutes, in the morning to go and have a usual coffee with ggeorge. Life in never never land is beautiful.  O0

John

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 10:18:14 pm »

In good ole Queensland  <:( if you get your licence on an Auto (now the norm)  <:( you can't drive a manual without taking another test for manual licence. :police:
If you get/have a manual licence ( mainly the old and bolds) you can drive both.  :-)) :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 11:59:19 pm »

In good ole Queensland  <:( if you get your licence on an Auto (now the norm)  <:( you can't drive a manual without taking another test for manual licence. :police:
If you get/have a manual licence ( mainly the old and bolds) you can drive both.  :-)) :-))

The same in NSW. Two of my grandchildren have recently obtained their licences, both on manuals. Even though the family have an auto as well, they both said that they would rather learn on a manual.

Peter.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 03:18:39 pm »

....please send some Timmy's over, preferably the double chocolate, mmmm :-))

Thats the one thing missing here, I swear you'd make a fortune, as Costa is rubbish....

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 12:12:23 am »

Thats the one thing missing here, I swear you'd make a fortune, as Costa is rubbish....

It could be arranged, but the air freight would be rather expensive  {-) {-)

Peter.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 02:50:59 am »

There's an idea, start a Timmy's over there. Lindsay has five.....yes 5!! and another one is on the way. All in a town of maybe 20K people. They're addicted to the stuff here.
 Double chocolate eh? Hmmmmm...might be a bit stale by the time it got there though.

JHV

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 03:02:31 am »

Rob:

Here's the best I could do for the minute.

John

steamboatmodel

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 04:19:45 pm »

There is a Tim's downtown that does a chocolate donut with chocolate icing that is then drizzled with green mint icing. If I am nere it there is a standing order from my wife to bring back a dozen. I have only found them at two locations the one downtown and one in Orangeville. Here is a site that has Timmy's Anthem http://www.youtube.com/user/NelsonFolk
Regards,
Gerald

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 06:18:14 pm »

I first passed my car driving test (having already got one for motor bikes) in 1963....in Gibraltar. If nothing else, one gets very adept at hill starts. Drove all around the southern end of Spain on that licence and also back in the UK....for 12 months. When I turned up for my UK "test" in a car without a co-driver or "L" plates the examiner sort of lifted an eyebrow, gave me a route to follow and off I set. After not much more than 5 minutes he just told me to go back to the test centre as I was wasting his time. I was desolated, thinking I'd failed miserably. Just the opposite. Easiest exam I've ever sat. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 08:42:55 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-)

bulldog1966

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 12:56:43 pm »

you can drive in uk on your tipe of licence but only for one year then you have to take a gb test but you can get round this by going back home for a week and come back to uk pm me for more details

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 04:05:20 pm »

Bulldog is correct the Americans at Mildenhall used to drive for a year fly home. Then on returning were able to drive another year.Dont
suppose any of them ever bothered with a uk test. Does this dodge work for the Eu as well? Suspect it does .Possibly a loophole
that needs closing. John. 

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 04:26:04 pm »

I was surprised to find out a driver has to have a separate endorsement to drive a standard and pull a trailer. We don't have any such add ons here.

John

triumphjon

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 08:46:36 pm »

its a recent change to the rules in an attempt to stop accidents with people who dont know what they are doing when towing a trailer , the same as not being able to drive any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes on the same licence as driving a car , im lucky as my licence covers me for both which also means i can drive a 7.5 tonner with a trailer behind , can make my truck a little long on occasions at upto 55ft nose to tail !

brianB6

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 08:56:41 pm »

I still have my old UK licence.   No longer paid up.
I always wanted to drive a heavy locomotive or even the light locomotive that was allowed in the same category as a motor car.  %%
My best licence is my Mauritian one:
The Sergeant just tore off a piece of paper from his note pad and rubber stamped and signed it!  %)
I wonder what would happen if I had to produce it next time I visit?  :police:

brianB6

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 09:00:53 pm »

For the uninitiated a Timmies is a "Tim Tam" biscuit.
A bit like a "Penguin" in UK but they come in packets.
Personally I prefer the dark coated ones.  O0  O0

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 09:26:28 pm »

For the uninitiated a Timmies is a "Tim Tam" biscuit.
A bit like a "Penguin" in UK but they come in packets.
Personally I prefer the dark coated ones.  O0  O0

Good thing you explained a Timmies. Here in Canada you get something completely different. Coffee, cakes, donuts and lunches. When a Canadian asks for a Timmy's double double its a Tim Horton's coffee with double cream and double sugar. A very popular drink. What does this have to do with driving? Virtually every Tim Horton's has a drive through.
 Who was Tim Horton? He was a defense man for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Buffalo Sabres hockey teams. He died in a car accident on the QEW coming back from Sabres game on his way home to Toronto.

John
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.