Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine suppliers  (Read 3148 times)

pheonix

Engine suppliers
« on: October 13, 2009, 07:22:21 pm »

I am currently looking for a suitable engine for my new hull - its rated up to a .67 which I understand equates to 11cc.

Had a look though this site as well as the OMRC and I have found suppliers in the UK for both OPS and CMB engines but can any one tell me what other companies produce this size engine and were I can buy them (preferably in the UK)

I know K&B do but cannot find a supplier in the UK and have tried looking up Picco but unsuccessfully.

The hull will only be used for pleasure, so don't need a race engine so again any recommendations would be welcome.

the hull is designed for a central exhaust so the engine needs to have a front exhaust port, not a side exit

Cheers
Dave

BJ

Re: Engine suppliers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 08:14:27 pm »

The hull will only be used for pleasure, so don't need a race engine.

the hull is designed for a central exhaust so the engine needs to have a front exhaust port, not a side exit

See http://www.justengines.unseen.org/acatalog/Marine_Engines.html and make your self a new manifold to suit both conditions

ids987

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 12:47:08 pm »

I am currently looking for a suitable engine for my new hull - its rated up to a .67 which I understand equates to 11cc.

Had a look though this site as well as the OMRC and I have found suppliers in the UK for both OPS and CMB engines but can any one tell me what other companies produce this size engine and were I can buy them (preferably in the UK)

I know K&B do but cannot find a supplier in the UK and have tried looking up Picco but unsuccessfully.

The hull will only be used for pleasure, so don't need a race engine so again any recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, front (or rear - depending which way you look at it) exhaust engines do tend to be racing engine, as the main reasons are to allow a shorter pipe, and better gas-flow. Equally unfortunately, in the UK, it is really only OMRA who still run a .67 class. Picco are not producing .67s at the moment. K&B are now under Mecoa in the USA. I don't know of a UK distributor, and I think that supplies even in the US are fairly scarce. If you want a 10 or 11cc sport engine, I think it will have to be a side exhaust engine - with a wrap to centre type manifold - as BJ said. If you don't have the facilities yourself, I think Just Engines also make headers to order. A wrap to centre header though - even in a .61 size sport engine, is likely to result in longer than optimal pipe length, but then pipe length for that kind of engine is less critical than for a racing engine anyway.
If cost is the issue, you could maybe consider secondhand, but that in itself can be a minefield - with parts usually only being available for engines which are in production etc. CMB usually continue production / supply of parts for about two years after discontinuing a model, but don't expect that kind of post-sales support from all manufacturers.

Could I ask what the hull is ?

Ian

EDIT: Just seen the Scorpion thread, so it's all clearer now.

pheonix

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 03:14:08 pm »

BJ, Ian

Many thanks for your replies.

Now you have me thinking. I have an old 10cc Verco (or Veco) side exhaust engine at home - it might be time to look at resurrecting that. It used to run well but hasn't turned a piston for a good few years. I know it had a new ring and body fitted to it not long before it was removed from service and it was well cleaned and oiled before it went away so it should be OK.

Producing a suitable manifold is not a problem - between my workshop at home and my mechanics at work I am sure we can sort something out.

I appreciate the length of exhaust may not be optimal but as you say, its is for pleasure anyway not racing. Just need to see if I can get the new redirected manifold under the boats cowling.

I do like the look of the CMB engines but its a lot of money for the occasional sailing in the local Loch. If I can't get the old engine to run then 70quid for an ASP is alot cheaper than 350 for a CMB!!!.

OK, will head to my drawing board and see if I can do something in the confines of the hull.

Cheers
Dave

BJ

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 05:28:49 pm »

Let us try again - I think the original post got lost somewhere (picture size problem)

Same boat different engine and manifold
Originally SC but now ASP and a 22mm copper fitting one.
See http://www.nimrifmodels.co.uk/setup.html for tuned length

pheonix

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 06:35:15 pm »

Hi BJ

Thanks for your comments and pictures - spoke to the guys at work and making up a suitable manifold should not be a problem. We have all the facilities necessary to bend, braze or silver solder.

I am currently working offshore but home next Thursday so will get into my workshop and start checking what options I have.

Cheers
Dave

bulldog1966

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:44:29 am »

bj  beet me to it .aps are in this country they are in carlise they do a good merine 90 for £79.99 manifold and tune pipe extra

scoop

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 10:09:51 am »

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, front (or rear - depending which way you look at it) exhaust engines do tend to be racing engine, as the main reasons are to allow a shorter pipe, and better gas-flow. Equally unfortunately, in the UK, it is really only OMRA who still run a .67 class. Picco are not producing .67s at the moment. K&B are now under Mecoa in the USA. I don't know of a UK distributor, and I think that supplies even in the US are fairly scarce. If you want a 10 or 11cc sport engine, I think it will have to be a side exhaust engine - with a wrap to centre type manifold - as BJ said. If you don't have the facilities yourself, I think Just Engines also make headers to order. A wrap to centre header though - even in a .61 size sport engine, is likely to result in longer than optimal pipe length, but then pipe length for that kind of engine is less critical than for a racing engine anyway.
If cost is the issue, you could maybe consider secondhand, but that in itself can be a minefield - with parts usually only being available for engines which are in production etc. CMB usually continue production / supply of parts for about two years after discontinuing a model, but don't expect that kind of post-sales support from all manufacturers.

Could I ask what the hull is ?

Ian

EDIT: Just seen the Scorpion thread, so it's all clearer now.
Morning all, Just like to correct you there Ian, OMRA are not the only one's running a 67 class, the newly formed BMPRS also run one in their AA-D classification.
Go to www.bmprs.co.uk for further details
Regards
Scoop

BJ

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 10:36:24 am »

Stuart, Ian was correct at the time he published his comments(October 2009). You had not formed your side of the racing then (inaugural meeting Sunday 11th April 2010). I believe that he is also one of your members having previously been with OMRA as you were.

scoop

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 01:30:31 pm »

Stuart, Ian was correct at the time he published his comments(October 2009). You had not formed your side of the racing then (inaugural meeting Sunday 11th April 2010). I believe that he is also one of your members having previously been with OMRA as you were.
Yes quite correct Ian is indeed one of our (BMPRS) valued and founder members, apologies Ian I should have looked at the date, however NOMRA as it was known originally was on track well in advance of the inaugural meeting. Having served it's purpose (as explained in Model Boats August 2010 issue) the NOMRA name was dropped in favour of BMPRS which was a name decided on by the whole of the membership and not just a few !

Kind regards
Stewart (aka Scoop)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.