Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Porthole Glazing  (Read 6902 times)

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Once a model boater, always a model boater!
Porthole Glazing
« on: April 26, 2006, 07:26:51 pm »

To glaze portholes,

Take a piece of brass tubing at the diameter required, sharpen the end with a file.

Use this to cut out "glass" from a sheet of clear plastic.

You should then have a perfect window to fill your porthole.

Craig

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Porthole Glazing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 08:02:52 pm »

Or you can buy a set of hole punches or a revolving eyelet punch. Squires sell a good range.

ron h

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 11:11:35 pm »

Take some white PVA glue and put it inside the porthole till it covers the hole, leave to dry, you now have glazed ports.

flag-d

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 05:42:45 pm »

I found that SwageLok(TM) compression fittings (which have 2 ferrules, a front and back) in brass make ideal portholes if you use the back ferrule and then you can use the front ferrule in a pair of pliers with some acetate or similar to cut out the 'glazing'!  Unfortunately, these types of fittings are terrifyingly expensive!

Mike

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:48:09 am »

Hi, i think voyager uses a clear epoxy resin (hopefully he'll see this and confirm it) he covers the portholes with masking tape, puts in some of the epoxy lets it dry and removes the tape.

similar to the PVA technique above i think

It worked well on his snowberry

Grant :)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 10:51:36 am »

I prefer liquid acryl-resin, as it will not turn yellow(under the ultraviolet-light) like epoxy after a while.
Just stick a piece of tape over the porthole and fill it up. Works perfect!

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 06:21:12 pm »

That rings a bell, i think it might be that actually, and it would make more sense as the epoxy will yellow over time.

I wasnt entirely sure before but that does sound familiar.

Grant  :)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 08:37:10 pm »

Hi "Uboatbuilder", it was clear resin that i used! As already mention Squires sell a variety of useful things for modeling, one of which is Liquid water. It might not be useful for portholes, but it's used for creating water effects for static displays, from what i have seen it looks rather good.

Someone mention about the yellowing effect on glue resin, but this would not matter as lights on boats are mostly yellow anyway (Tungsten bulbs always give off a yellow cast!)

Regards: Voyager

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 06:43:24 am »

;D Voyager- need to have some of that.... "Liquid Water" !  ;D

About the yellow-turned portholes. I`t is right what you say that some bulbs have a yellow shine, but it makes (in my opinion) a difference if the glass of an porthole is illuminated by a yellow bulb somewhere in the background or looks like the filter of a smokers-cabinett.

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 08:46:48 am »

Hi Jorg, the stuff is either labeled as "Liquid Water" or "Scenic Water". If you have trouble getting some, then drop me an e-mail and i will do some searching over here for you.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 10:33:27 am »

;D Voyager- need to have some of that.... "Liquid Water" !  ;D

About the yellow-turned portholes. I`t is right what you say that some bulbs have a yellow shine, but it makes (in my opinion) a difference if the glass of an porthole is illuminated by a yellow bulb somewhere in the background or looks like the filter of a smokers-cabinett.

Jörg

Jörg

Try this site for the water. They also do rust.

http://www.ontracks.co.uk/index.php?page=catalogue&cat=1143&toplevel=&page_now=1

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 01:08:49 pm »

Thanks Richard for assisting Jorg.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 08:54:55 am »

IT`s cheaper as in Germany- thanks for the info, will leave my shipmate in Kent a note to bring some along due to his next visit.

Thankyou for assistance!  ;)

Jörg

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 12:53:30 pm »

Hi Jorg, the stuff is either labeled as "Liquid Water" or "Scenic Water". If you have trouble getting some, then drop me an e-mail and i will do some searching over here for you.

I bought mine from a dolls house shop in town.  It worked very well for making glazed portholes but they were very small on my Deans Marine Cossack..

My curent build have much larger ones so I have used acetate sheet in the accomodation but much thicker acrylic plate for the hull ports.  I put a peice in the lathe between two turned down peices of brass then filed the edge of the acrylic to match the brass diameter.  I ended up with a nice little plug of acrylic to slide into the port brass tube.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.