Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Slo-Mo-Shun!  (Read 13306 times)

marksaab

Re: Another Slo-Mo-Shun!
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 05:40:21 pm »

Hi All

Quick post to say I changed all the pics to photobucket.

Hopefully they all work ok!!!

Mark

marksaab

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 10:38:21 am »

Hi All

Firstly a big thanks you to Orby for the articles!

Still in the varnish-sanding-varnish phase.....5 coats now and it really is looking better, the "pitting" in the grain has almost gone, I'm now going to finish the underside and the other parts before I do the final few top coats...using a slow drying resin!

Has anyone got some brush recommendations...I'm guessing I need a very soft brush to avoid leaving brush strokes...no matter how light I brush now it still leaves marks.

Doing more over the w.end so more pics coming.

Mark

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2007, 10:54:11 am »

I saw a couple of boats at swansea a few years ago. He had used resin but had put it on with a credit card very thin, it looked very good so when I did the cabin roof and decks of my tug I used the same method and it worked very well. It stops any hollows and it sanded up very quick without adding weight to the model .  test it on a scrap pice of wood first , it works better than brushes . Peter

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 11:23:29 am »

Glad you got the articles Mark, I hope they help. ;)
As for brushes, now that the resin I put on is going on properly, nice and smooth with no problems, I've found it a piece of cake to use. The brushes I have are cheap nasty ones that the model shop sell in packs of 6, for using once with resin then throwing away. I think they just call them 'resin brushes' or something. They leave no brush marks as the resin goes on then 'settles' nice and flat.
On my thread there was a raging, heated debate ( ;D) about cleaning resin off brushes, and which kind to use, etc, but the shop guy just threw in a pack of the cheapies, and they seem fine - it certainly saves messing about trying to get resin off brushes. I think a 6-pack is meant to be about a quid or so.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 11:40:40 am »

Hi all,

Firstly with regard to finishing off with slow drying resin. If as I read it, you intend to use resin as the final finish, this is not a good idea. The final coat or two should be exterior varnish which has UV filtering built in. Epoxy has not, and will be effected by sun light. Having said that, I have several boats as already mentioned, that are still in basic epoxy which after two years are still ok.

I may have been involved in the discusion you mentioned about cleaning brushes. I am still using the same three brushes over a five year period. All I do is wipe the brushes on news paper to remove any excess resin, then drop them into a tall jar with an inch of meths in, and then refit the screw cap. I have had no problems with this method. I do agree though that if the brushes were removed from this jar and left open to the air, they would go hard. I would think that over a five year period I would have used  20 to 30 pounds worth of cheap brushes. My method of cleaning and storage takes about ten seconds. I do have to clean the bottom of the jar about once a year to clear away settled resin from the bottom of the jar, or it tends to stick to the bottom of the bristles. The one thing I don't understand is why the bristles have not developed a curve after standing in the jar for so long. !

Bob

marksaab

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2007, 04:38:52 pm »

Hi Bob

Sorry wasn't too clear, the final coats will be normal varnish not epoxy, the only change was that I'm not using quick drying varnish.

Any thoughts on spraying the final coat?

Mark

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 04:59:17 pm »

Hi marksaab,

Can't comment on spraying, as I've never sprayed except with aerosol cans, and not on varnish.
I do however use the two pack finish on my fast electric style boats, with very good effect. I suppose you could use the clear coat over what you have already done, but obviously try it on a scrap piece of varnish first.  >:(  :(  ???  :-[  :-\  :'(

Bob

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2007, 05:19:03 pm »

If you are just using ordinary varnish and not the quick drying variety then you might just as well use a brush as the varnish will have time to level out before it dries.

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

marksaab

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2007, 09:50:21 am »

Hi All

More varnishing over the weekend and I think a bit too much rubbing down!

Think I'm up to 7 coats now but I lost count! Stopped using wet and dry for rubbing down as it was lifting the edges of the veneer, so just using the paper dry so I'm getting through a lot of it!

Changed to normal slow drying varnish now and its much better, a few pics below, i tried unsuccessfully to show that it does look better but all I seemed to highlight was the dark strips....but I like the way the look changes in different light.

Now I'm starting the instrument panel, the usual lack of info in the "instructions" is annoying....I have found some pics on the net so I think I can get it done tonight.

marksaab

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 07:06:18 pm »

Hi

Just been doing a bit of "surfing" and found this link to some decent Slo Mo pics:

http://www.thunderboats.org/50slomoshun/index.html

I was looking for more instrument panel details....but I thinks it really is as simple as the pic on the box.

Unfortunately is does show that I laid the veneer on the sides in the wrong direction!! ???  Oh well more lessons!

Right...home now for tea and more sanding!

Mark

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2007, 10:46:54 am »

The finish on your Slomo looks gorgeous Mark, nice one! Blimey if I'd got that kind of finish on mine I'd be a happy chappy.
I've also laid the veneer on the sides 'wrong' too, but I don't remember noticing until now, ha ha ha! Ah well.  The picture on the box lid shows it going the right way, but I still think our way looks nicer.  Don't worry about it, your model is going to look stunning.

Have you seen     http://www.slomoshun.com     ?? There isn't a heck of a lot of info here, or many pictures, but what's there is interesting.

Julian. ;)

marksaab

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 04:02:08 pm »

Hi Orby

I only have broadband access from my office so its meant a few late evenings trawling for Slo-Mo-Info!  The "official" sites pretty good, next time I'm Stateside I'm tempted to go and see the real thing!

Finally started on the control panel...wanted to get some decent pics but I really must stop thinking of this kit as the ultimate in scale accuracy and just finish it and get onto th next one.

Spent another £40 on more paint, tools, bits etc etc  :( from a very good model shop near Bassingbourne - "Model Workshop", run by a really friendly guy who knows his stuff! :)

God this post is a bit boring!!!   I'll try to make the next one more interesting!!

Hows your one going?

Mark

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 05:27:16 pm »

Hi Orby

Hows your one going?

Hi Mark,
Take some photos of the real thing if/when you go to America fi you're in Seattle - that would be brilliant.
Mine's going slowly on thanks, although I get very little time to work on her - a few hours a week average I bet. >:( I have work and a 3yr old who won't let me get the model out when she's around ("How sharp is this scalpel daddy?"!!!).  I have put a couple more coats of resin on the bottom which went on fine, so it's had 3 now, and I have 4 nightshifts starting tonight in which to sit there sanding away all night while no-one's looking.
You're getting ahead of me on the boat's body now, which is good as for the first time I'll have someone else's model to look at!  I have however gone ahead a few months ago and begun the engine cover (you'll enjoy making the exhaust pipes and attaching them!) and tail fin.
Keep at it mate,
Julian. ;)

marksaab

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2007, 10:59:46 am »

Hi All...Seems like ages since I posted last but I'm back in my building groove and i can see the end in sight....at  least I think I can!  In fact I,ve already decided on my next one...USS Constitution from Constructo Kits, I thought I may as well make use of the tools I bought...not sure about the skills I've learned though!

What a lovely weekend though! Saturday was too nice to be in so I took myself down to Rochester and then Shoreham to take pics of houseboats (mainly old patrol boats as I'm looking to buy one later this year, i will post house boaty stuff on another forum. 

So Sunday pm/eve/Mon AM! was build time, I mentioned before that i didn't like the open hull where the seat goes so I boxed it in, I must have had too much time on my hands because i decided to use the spare planking instead of the sheet that I had.

First pic shows the new wider cabin floor with a strip along the bottom acting as a stop for the planks

I then fixed a plank at each end and of the sides and put a strip netween them to act as a top support for the planks.

Then planked up the rear first, then the sides

A bit of filling then 3 coats of sanding sealer, think it looks ok but I have a nagging feeling I've forgotten something! Hopefully not!

This is how it looks now, ignore how rough the veneer looks, its not had it final few coats yet!!  All took about 5-6 hours!!! cannot believe how long it takes but its very relaxing until you realise its almost 2 am...oops!

Also did the engine cover, another couple of hours!!  I made up a template in card to position the air scoops etc, funny the box pic shows them as hollow but their are supplied as solid, was going to hollow them out but decided I would prob ruin them! Pics below. BTW you really dont want to know what my girlfriend says the cover looks like ;D

Most of the sanding etc is now done so after more late night hoovering...sorry to my neighbours! I can start on the painting...I have a (hopefully) cunning plan to get rid of paint fumes etc when I start spraying, more details later.

Have a good week everyone.

Mark

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 06:19:32 pm »

BTW you really dont want to know what my girlfriend says the cover looks like ;D
Mark
I think I can guess - suffice it to say I nearly bought some pink and purple paint.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
In fact I still might - just to see the looks on the faces of the people at Black Park Club on a Sunday morning!  Can you imagine?  "Look away children! Look away!"  It would be brilliant!  And hey I could always do it the right colour later...
Damn it's tempting! ;D

Your Slo Mo is still looking really good anyway Mark, you're in front of me now.  Keep it up mate and you'll soon be done.  I have no idea when I'm next going to be able to do anything on mine. And the few times I have to work on it, all I can do is sand the "xxxxx" down!

marksaab

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2007, 08:27:16 pm »

Yes I think you could call Slo-Mo a real mans boat!

Nearly there, last bit fitting to do on the parts under the cover and the dreaded "exhausts" or shall we call them "headers" in deference to our American cousins!

After the sanding i need to clean my whole work space (dining/living room table!) then start spraying, I have rigged up an extractor so hopefully wont be too hazardous!

Oh I made another boat purchase today, pic below, its sort of a model wooden boat but the scale is 1:1!!!  I think the next model may have to wait a bit!!

Happy modelling, and keep it up, like you say its close to finishing but actually most of the fun has been getting round the various hurdles on the way!
Mark

My new project all 32ft of it!!

marksaab

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 04:21:09 pm »

Hi All

Long time no posts!!!

Finally finished the last building stage of the Slo-Mo, I decided I didn't like the plastic engine bay lining parts, they didn't fit and even on the box lid pic they don't look right.

So making use of my bargain balsa pack I made a new floor part then planked the rest in strip parts.

Think it looks OK.

Started sanding the top sides again so finally going to start painting.

Any good tips on getting the red arrow shape masked up? Thought about tracing it of the plan....I'm going to mask and spray it so I want to do a "test" first to check for reactions!

So up to date pics below, I think the end is nigh!  :)

Orby how is yours going?

Mark

cdsc123

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 11:27:39 pm »

That's looking very nice, methinks an RAF HSL should be next on your build list Mark, maybe 2626 or 2605.....

B Rgds, Christian.

marksaab

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2007, 05:10:22 pm »

Hi Christan!

Hmmmm very tempting!!

Actually sold the "big model" this morning, got back what i paid for her less £50 agent fee.
Waiting for her to re appear on e.bay with a £10K reserve :)

So now i have freed up some time plan is 1) Finish Slo-Mo, 2) Find out whats going on with 506, 3) Buy another wooden boat...with less holes in it!, 4) Convince my GF that I'm not crazy and I really do like here more than boats etc! 

BTW meeting Philip Simons on Sunday...should be educational!

Mark

marksaab

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2007, 11:40:09 am »

Well after a short break for “Summer” I finally knuckled down and finished Slo-Mo!
I wanted to clear the decks so I can start on my next builds and cos it was bugging me to see her part built.

Lasts posts showed the underside painted, only one coat of silver enamel as the can said don’t recoat, anyway it seemed to go on ok. I then masked up the topsides for the red arrow, I used a spray masking film, unfortunately it’s a bit too sticky and did lift the varnish in a couple of places.

Went ok but I put on too many coats of paint and the edges ended up a bit rough (another lesson learned!)

So first batch of pics below

marksaab

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2007, 11:47:46 am »

Now to the final assembly, I painted the silver rubbing strakes and fitted them using Super Glue (pretty much used this glue for the whole build) I fitted the tail fin and rudder, used 5 minute epoxy so I have some adjustment time. Added the plastic detailing missed out the 2 front scoops for now.

Pics below

marksaab

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2007, 11:59:38 am »

A word about the engine cowling, NIGHTMARE! Maybe its just my inexperience but I found it really frustrating, the exhaust manifolds were the worst, two angles to cut, also the reference pics I used showed them at different angles could have been when they changed the engine to a Merlin from the original Allison (I think). Also the “instructions” were their usual vague self on how they were attached, eventually I used to spare bits and got them fitted.

Finished by applying the transfers and the cooling pipes etc.

The dash panel and screen were fiddly but came out ok. Lost some of the dials when they simply fell of after they dried out.

marksaab

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2007, 12:28:46 pm »

So my thoughts and lessons learned after my first Billings kit build are as follows:

About the kit
I always wanted to build this model so I was really looking forward to starting it, I think I expected a bit more from Billings but I did dive it with a 2* kit for my first build so I cant be too critical…can I?  Well yes I can, as noted by other builders the fit of some parts is really bad, yes it’s a challenge but an unnecessary one.

The bits I liked
Planking the hull with the strips was fun, I used Super Glue and just went for it, I did the entire planking in a few hours.

The veneer was not to bad, I did one side first and steamed the ones at the stern to get them round the sharp bends.

I didn’t like
The engine cowling but really that’s it!

Mistakes!
Not putting on enough coats of varnish before using sanding down with WET wet & dry paper, big mistake I stained the veneer which caused the streaks you can now see, I was temped to rip it all off but decided to leave it as a reminder not to do it again!!

Conclusion
Really glad I got the kit and more importantly that I finished it, I not usually good a finishing things so it meant a lot.

Billings kits are ok value, you get what you pay for but then again I don’t have anything to compare them with yet.

So before the final pics I want to say a big THANKS to everyone on the forum its great to have feedback and advice from my modelling peers! After a gap of 26 years since my last build attempt (the Aerokits Rescue Tender…never completed) all the hints etc were really helpful…so Orby and all good luck with your builds see you all again soon!!
 O0

Ah and finally my girlfriend told me Slo-Mo needs a driver!  the pics below are the "before" one, some time next year he will get a makeover and look like the part.  Lots of work though..."more tea Vicar"!

Hagar

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 08:41:51 pm »

Nice one mate. looks a good un.
Getting into Slo-mo my self, so its good to se a finished one.
Well done.

Orby1: Hows yours looking?

marksaab

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2008, 12:26:22 pm »

Cheers Hagar!

It was fun building it!  Looking for my next project for a Winter build, too busy playing around with my big boat at the mo!

Slo-Mo gets dusted occationally, still love the way she looks!

Good luck with yours, just ask if you need any pointers.

Mark
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.