Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Cressy  (Read 3478 times)

victorian

HMS Cressy
« on: June 30, 2010, 11:48:51 am »

Some of you may be interested to know that the original builder's model of 'Cressy' has turned up in Savannah, Georgia, thanks to  the detective work of forum member Mitrich. Here's http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnrobert/3338997427/sizes/o/in/set-72157614990560264/a link to a photo taken in 1996. I hope he won't mind me publishing this note since I know that Cressy has been mentioned on here before.

The location is at the Ships of the Sea Museum in Savannah and the model is still on display. It appears to have been purchased by a private collector from a dealer in London in 1966.

I know that Ian Kennedy was working on a model of Cressy. Any photos, Ian? I've been slowly working on Niobe (very similar to Cressy) and have been greatly aided by access to Barrow museum's Ampithritite' (sister ship to Niobe, but subtly different). Did you know there's a 'Niobe street' in Barrow?

We've talked about the veracity of these builder's models before and I have to say that in my own case the Niobe model just would not be possible working from the official plans and available photographs alone. There are far too many details that simply cannot be detected from the plans alone and in my experience the models (from this period) are of great faithfulness. Of course there are differences between models and ships as built but that is where the photographs come in.

rsm

Re: HMS Cressy
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:53:25 pm »

ian kennedy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:20:34 pm »

Hi Victorian,

Progress on the Cressy is slow at the moment as I'm trying to finish HMS Mastiff, a rendall flat iron gunboat first. Then it's USS New Ironsides 1862 to fit out and rig.......while working on the plug for HMS Victoria at 1/60th scale ( yes the one sunk off tripoli by camperdown) also refitting HMS Prince George Majestic class in between just to stop myself getting bored %%!!

As for photo's of the Cressy, a bit pointless at the moment as it's just a grp mould with some silicone rubber moulds made for the turrets, boats, vents etc while i keep plugging away at making the multitude of masters for resin and white metal castings when i can dedicate enough time to her.

At this point i would like to thank my friend Dave Wooley for the loan drawings of Cressy :-)) :-))

It would be great for us all to meet up some time with the black white and buff armada some time next year? as i personally don't have anything in a complete or sailable condition this year...apart from something stupid and round.

Regards

Ian

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:30:06 pm »

Sorry to have seriously bumped this topic but I happened to see the title and wondered how progress went on all of those ships you mentioned Ian? I found out that HMS Amphitrite was converted into a mine layer, so there is some potential for an interesting and different model in that.

I can see by the date this thread was active that your HMS Masiff has been a real labour of love!
Pond weed is your enemy

Ian K

• Full Mayhemer
  • In the workshop, going daft but happy!!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:42:09 pm »

Hi Ian,

As with most things, life gets in the way, along with bouts of illness {:-{

The plug for the Cressy class of armoured cruisers is almost completed. I am starting the plug for Victoria in December, Research has been the delay for that one. Mastiff has been an ongoing project, more or less an infill sort of model, around other projects.

As a rule I normally work on four models at a time, all at different stages. USS New Ironsides was put under the bench, but should be (nearly) completed early next year, along with Polyphemus and Mastiff. All hopefully in time for the Mayhem weekend?

Working full time, and doing product development projects for other people, saps quite a lot of my free modelling time.....so to complete things takes me a while.

Ian

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:06:39 pm »

Delays and bottle necks are the territory of large projects. My HMS Rupert is waiting for propellor shafts before I can progress the plug and HMS Ready, while currently less needy, will require guns from Mr Haynes. As for the Tudor ships, they have a momentum dictated by enthusiasm:O)
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.