Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: If I ran this country...  (Read 6028 times)

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
If I ran this country...
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:25:41 pm »

I see the government is asking for our suggestions for future legislation - or the lack of it. I suspect this is a topic that could very quickly degenerate into silliness, so I'll get in quick with my bright idea.

Back in the early 90s the government restricted the big brewers from owning more than 2000 tied houses. How about a similar restriction on the supermarkets? Or, rather than a numerical limit, prevent them from opening a branch less than say 5 miles from another branch? This is especially relevant in view of today's pronouncement from Sir Terry Leahy making clear Tesco's aim of annihilating independent shopkeepers.

I see that someone has already suggested abolishing gravity, and another making it an offence to drive sober after 11 o'clock at night.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: If I ran this country...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:48:52 pm »

I would have unemployed people not legitimately claiming sickness or disability benefits work for the community at an hourly rate less than minimum wage - watch them get jobs then O0
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

firedup

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:04:28 pm »

What a great idea with a little slight of hand this Gov. will pass or change one or two silly laws while it rips the heart out of whole areas of this country and everyone will be happy.
You get what you deserve God help use all.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:25:23 pm »

firstly, I would remove 75% those speed cameras, leaving only those on DANGEROUS roads in place.

take 25% duty off DIESEL and add it to PETROL, that way haulage companies will be able to make more money, charge less for delivering stuff, which will hopefully lead to cheaper goods in stores.

build more prisons.

NATIONALIZE the railways and buses

raise the speed limit on motorways to 80mph

Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:27:53 pm »

Isn't it amazing.  O0
Really think the thrust of these comments equally apply to Oz. :-))
Must have something to do with Model Boating O0 8)

sparky

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:46:33 pm »

Way to go Ghost !!! :-))

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 08:27:09 am »

Maybe, if the new government has run out of ideas of what to do already, they should just do nothing for a year and see how well the country works without them.

meyer

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 08:47:21 am »

Remove Chris Evans from the breakfast show

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 08:48:08 am »

I cant remember what country it is but one has Working for benefits in plce already.  If you are unemployed then you work for the local council, on the bins, street cleaning or something similar.  You have to do 2 days a week or you get nothing.  Finland are trying to bring in something similar.
I think the justice and punishment should be changed as well.  At the moment the judges have too much leeway in sentencing. It should be more If you commit X crime you will get Y Punishment.  Also implementation of the 3 strikes and your out rule same as some US states.  If you are convicted of the same crime 3 times then thats it, game over Life iin prison.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:15:18 am »

Rather than keep people in prison for 'life' - bring back the death penalty, they've already proved they're a danger to society.
Convicted prisoners of 'lesser' crimes should be used in work parties for society's common good - street cleaning, verge cutting, canal clearance - benefits many and keeps them healthier too...the previous post said 3 stikes and out-life in prison. No 3 strikes and death - more convincing argument!

The benefit system needs serious policing - far too many cheating the system, get rid of job seeker's allowance - you'd find work quicker then!
Reduce child benefits -  If you decide to have 'em, you should pay for them, why should we pay for someone else to have kids?
Ban non-residential car parking within 1 mile of all schools between 0815-0915 and 1500-1630  that'll make youth fitter

One level of taxation for all - across the board, you earn more, you pay more tax anyway (percentage pro-rata) , why should you be penalised for being successful / harder working ?

The public offices scandal need a serious checking too, previous governments created so many 'non-jobs' and duplication of positions in government and councils

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:18:17 am »

I would have unemployed people not legitimately claiming sickness or disability benefits work for the community at an hourly rate less than minimum wage - watch them get jobs then O0

I've been looking for a new job for six months. I have a degree, a pile of A-levels, loads of experience in IT-related subjects. I even have a bicycle.

My JobSeekers' Allowance was a princely £60 a week, until it stopped a few weeks ago.

Believe me, the system is not an easy ride, and - with regards to jobs - there is nothing out there, at least for someone in their forties.

Now, if I want to read Daily-Mailish rants, I'll head off to that rag's website.  >>:-(

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 11:58:52 am »

I've been looking for a new job for six months. I have a degree, a pile of A-levels, loads of experience in IT-related subjects. I even have a bicycle.

Andy

I had the same problem in the same proffession 2 years ago, sold up and moved to a another country.  we have our own stretch of river for playing boats, 36 acres of forest that net us a nice annual income. all for less than a studio flat in london.

Job wise I still dabble in IT for pocket money, but main job is now estates management (read into that gardener and snow shoveller lol)

And on the Crime and punishment. Bring back the birch! or as John Cleese once said "NAIL EM UP!!! NAIL SOME SENSE INTO EM!!!"
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 01:02:05 pm »

Hi all, going to upset em all

There is only one thing that stops an able-bodied person finding work and that is PRIDE.  When one is seeking employment in their own field of work; and it is unobtainable; what is wrong with doing something totally different, even pushing a brush!   If you are wondering - I have myself done this personally a few times - I am a time-served fitter and turner and have several other qualifications to my name. On numerous occasions I have walked into a factory, when I have been unlucky enough to be unemployed, and asked for any kind of work - whether it be painting the loos or cleaning them and I have done that.   It hasnt done me any harm.   My pride was soon mended when I picked my wage packet up and I had earned it and I hadnt received it from Society - by doing work like that it gains respect from other people.   My last role I was required to supervise over 300+ people and make multi-million pounds decisions - from one extreme to the other.  One thing I did find though in all me 40 odd years of working, was that no job-centre or job-seeker ever found me a job, I always went for it myself - go face to face with the employer!   Sometimes though I have been offered a job, but had 2nd thoughts and walked away from it :-) that is another story!!!!

It certainly is a crappy feeling when you want to work or do something to earn your keep - when you are feeling the world is against you - especially through ill health!

As far as running the country goes, I think we would need to get rid of 99% of the do-gooders and get back to proper punishments and disciplines at school etc., and give the teachers the rights to teach; anyway off me orange box everyone!!!

For those who can work - good luck -

For those who wont work - no patience

For those who cant work - my blessings

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 03:27:54 pm »

Don't matter who runs the country cos whatever you change, someone else is going to start screaming offside. Cuts in public spending?, the big guns Unions are loining their gurds allready, cuts in child benefits, since the introduction of child benefit for even the first one, how many single parent families have been generated with all the attendant benifits? Pubs are shutting cos they can't sell booze at the supermarket prices of 50p a pint but you can't force the supermarkets to increase the prices in line with the pubs cos those on a lower wage won't be able to afford to have a "drink" so try to get rid of drunken behaviour by increasing tax across the board.

Who said "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction" and that was only supposed to be for force.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 03:50:49 pm »

Just a few suggestions..

Make being an MP a non paid position
To be an MP, you have to have lived on dole money for 6 months
If you are an MP, you can only use public transport
'Life in prison' MEANS life, until you die
Make everyone in GB take the citizenship test...  {-)
Retire everyone at 18 and put you to work at 65 when you are good for nothing else...
Make a marriage certificate renewable every two years..

*gets tin hat and shin guards*  <*<

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 05:19:56 pm »

toes,

running shoes might be a good idea as well.

Mind you, I have often thought we should have 20 yrs retirement on the state from age 18, while young enough to REALLY enjoy it, then work 20 yrs then live off the kids for 20 yrs.

I told mine that when I retire, the house gets sold to finance 10 years of wandering, then when all the money is gone, we will live with them - payback for the 22 years at the start of their lives!  {-)
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 06:40:31 pm »

Sell and make off with the cash like the rest of the politicians and peers.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 06:50:25 pm »

The Scottish folk singer Matt McGinn had a little ditty that went   (plaintive/longing)  "Oh , I`m looking for a job with a sky-high pay, a three day week and a four hour day. Maybe I`m inclined that way, but I never did like being idle."  I first heard him sing this when I was an impressionable youth but but in spite trying hard I never found one. >:-o    Edit, I should have tried politics.
..well can you land on this?

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 07:01:59 pm »

another idea for use:

people who are doing time, rather than keep them locked up, as the general population wont agree to national service, perhaps felony convits can do jail time serving her majesty, in places like Afghanistan, the idea being to teach them discipline and a trade.  such as vehicle mechanics.  obviously they wont be permitted to have fire arms, so will generally be confined to barracks, this will free up more troops, and because they are a convict, you wont have to pay them an army wage :) that'll save on defence expenditure!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 07:16:55 pm »

So Ghost, you'd have our brave troops dependent upon the mechanical skills of a bunch of convicts who don't want to be there in the first place and are hardly likely to do a very good job to say the least. I rather doubt if that would go down too well at all! The choppers might of course...

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 10:49:23 pm »

they'd be TAUGHT the skill.  they could do chain gang mine clearance as well :)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 11:18:46 pm »

Teaching people who don't want to learn - I don't think so!

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 07:27:21 am »

ghost  mine clearance that would get the prison populous down----didnt some country take prisoners from england  !!!! sorry  slug

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 06:51:59 pm »

Change the ridiculous, unwieldy, over-complicated income tax system into a "Flat Rate" thing. One page instead of many volumes. Tough on those so-called "civil" servants who delight in preying upon us, but good for everyone else. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 08:55:08 pm »

Whilst on the subject of tax Bryan, how come there are still just as many, if not more, tax inspectors and the like, since we were forced to do self-assessment? The tax PAYER does all the work, but the tax INSPECTOR gets paid for it!!! Work that one out, no wonder we pay such high taxes!

Danny
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.