Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water Tight Chamber Securing Rod, Snapped! Robbe U47  (Read 3527 times)

Happy Harry

Water Tight Chamber Securing Rod, Snapped! Robbe U47
« on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:32 pm »

Good Evening All,

Please excuse my terminology (and by all means correct me where needed), I've managed to snap the long tightening rod used to secure the end cap and main chamber of the Water Tight Chamber (WTC?) on my Robbe U47. I'm fairly sure I haven't over tightened it over the last few weeks but it has snapped half way down the thread, is this a common fault?

My question is two fold:

1. Is it possible to source a new Robbe rod (or any other make), if so where from (I've spent the afternoon surfing the net looking for it!)
2. I don't think this is the best method of securing the chamber, are there any other methods I can retro fit?

My sub is a Robbe U47 with an Engel Dive tank.

Many thanks in advance for any response.

Regards

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Water Tight Chamber Securing Rod, Snapped! Robbe U47
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:58:52 pm »

Is there any damage to the radio plate?
You could cut out the old threaded rod and replace it with a larger one, eg. M4.

BTW, see -
http://forum.model-marina.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 11:04:20 pm »

Yes it is, And you have probably have overtightened it, you only need to apply enough pressure to seal the end cap on the O ring not clamp it up, but it IS a common problem.. the instructions tell you to soft solder the parts together....BAD ADVICE, as I always reccomend that the parts are SILVER soldered together then pegged through so it doesn't come apart.

ALL IS NOT LOST as you can make the rod quite easily out of 4mm threaded bar or better still if you have access to a lathe machine one up from stock rod then screw cut the thread on one end and fit a lock screw to it by silver solder, I posted the dimensions on here once so they should be still on somewhere try looking under a common thread.

The other method is to do away with the rod and fit a Bayonet ring available from Norbert Bruggen  in Germany see his web site

www.modelluboot.de

click on the English flag then bayonett ring in seals then on the long German word in the centre of the page starting with bajonett for the sizes and prices.

Hope its of use.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:56:24 pm »

A couple of years ago, somebody was making a Stainless version, have a look on the Sub committee website, I think it my have been posted on there

Happy Harry

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 08:29:14 pm »

:}
Gentlemen, thankyou very much for the advice. Silver soldered along with liquid metal applied in the cup the screw sits into, I think it is a bit more solid then previously. I very much like the idea of the bayonet rings, seems to make alot of sense although I'm sure if I can retro fit it to my sub. Will do more research.

Thankyou all again.

Best Regards

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:27:47 am »

Your most welcome.

Glad you got it sorted   :-))

Regards Sub.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.