Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: very old and dusty RAF launch  (Read 7372 times)

Timmer

very old and dusty RAF launch
« on: July 03, 2010, 02:00:31 pm »

I was given this recently by some friends who knew i was into my boats. they found it while clearing the loft of their new place. i thought some of you chaps might know a little bit more about it than i do. enjoy!!

Mark47

Re: very old and dusty RAF launch
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:06:05 pm »

It's an RTTL. Loads of info on the net if you google it. Plans are available from Model Boats mag. The open bridge is not very detaild but the plans are usable. :-))

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 02:17:09 pm »

It is in fact the Veron RTTL - 28", I think...

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 02:20:24 pm »

The angle of the propshaft suggests an IC engine used to power it, the half coupling left also suggests this.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Timmer

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 02:59:53 pm »

thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide whether to have a go at restoring it myself or not. Is there any way of working out the age. i would hate to start chopping into it only to find that it was 50 years old or something.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 06:18:55 pm »

I have the vic smeed plan, it's 34", I remember back in 1966/67 a friend doubled the same plan so 68"...your boat could easily be 40+ years old, unless it was a kit but I can't remember any kits for the RTTL ???

I have a Aerokits crash tender in similar condition  :embarrassed:
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

Mark47

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 06:47:56 pm »

thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide whether to have a go at restoring it myself or not. Is there any way of working out the age. i would hate to start chopping into it only to find that it was 50 years old or something.

I see what your saying here. O0

One thing you need to consider.........."Does your club/lake/loch/pond allow IC or is it just electric power"?

If it's just electric, then to make use of the boat. You will need to restore it.

Mark

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 07:27:19 pm »

hello there Timmer,

I definitely believe its the VERON kit;  I have built the RTTL from Vic Smead's plans and looking at your photographs, the hull is of a totally different construction to the way in which Vic's plans are laid out.    It looks as though the inner section on your model is made up of a 'box' section construction - and Veron did use that construction method a lot.   I know there is a set of plans for the Veron kit at our Model Boat Club and I am going there tomorrow - I will check the plans over and see how she was constructed.  If you do a good search on this forum there are loads and loads of RTTLs to give you some ideas of what they look like  :-))

Personally, I would carefully restore it and bring the model back to its former glory using electric propulsion.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 07:56:19 pm »

I made one of these Veron RTTLs in about 1970. I still have the plan somewhere. So it's probably about 40 years old, if that's an issue....

One problem with them is that the hull is built as a balsa box with balsa formers outside it holding the ply skin. If you use an I/C motor in it the oily gunge soon gets into the balsa and makes it soften, unless it is well protected. If that hasn't happened, the hull should be sound and fine for a fast electric...   

hmsantrim

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 12:28:42 am »

Hi there.
              if its 28in long its a veron vosper rttl cost £6.15 back in 1971, and Deans have recently brought out a kit for one so you can get all the details for the paint job from them.

cheers

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 10:31:13 am »

Oh, and if an original Veron kit for one of these comes up on ebay I would expect it to fetch well over £100...

tony52

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 01:26:52 pm »

Further to Bluebirds post if this model is 28" long it is a Veron. I have a plan in the archives.

Tony

Timmer

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 03:50:30 pm »

just got the tape out and she is 28". not sure what to do with her now. i dont think my skills as a boat builder are really up to the standard needed to restore this beauty. perhapes ebay is the best option. Although ive become quite attached to her.

Timmer

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:51:53 pm »

Timmer

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 06:29:15 pm »

The trouble with ebay

Well she was doing well. Set to fetch a reasonable price. Then some idiot decides to bid with no intention of paying. Great!!!!
Anyway shes back online. hopefully just for the serious bidders this time.

While I'm here i was looking at getting a Snowberry kit but noticed that this conversion has been done so many times. Has anybody got any idea of another kit around the same size/skill level?

Ebay link

Link removed: 4. Ebay listings are not to be duplicated here without prior consent of a moderator.
                             http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9048.msg87635#msg87635

Timmer

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 11:31:04 pm »

ooops....sorry

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 11:51:47 pm »

<*<               ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

hmsantrim

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 06:15:32 am »

Hi Timmer.
                  The Italeri Schnell Boot PT boat and the Revell USN Gato Sub are the newest/latest models suitable for RC conversion. 

some pix of built models below plenty info about the kits on google..

cheers Frank..

Timmer

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 10:16:03 am »

ahh i think ive seen these before somewhere

cheers frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 23 queries.