Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help me decide on a model  (Read 2041 times)

tbone

help me decide on a model
« on: July 07, 2010, 02:23:39 am »

I've been looking for a tug lately but couldn't decide.  I like the Smit Nederland but it isn't cheap. 
I've also considered the Banckert but I think it's a little smaller than I'd like.

I've recently come across an Amsterdam kit and from what I've seen online it looks to be a pretty nice kit.  I'd like some opinions though.  The Amsterdam has a single prop versus the dual korts on the Nederland, and the becker rudders would definately turn better.

I've also considered putting in a bow thruster and trying to improve the rudder performance on the Amsterdam.  I could get the Amsterdam for a few hundred dollars less which I guess would cover the cost of a bow thruster and possibly different rudder setup.  I also found someone who added a kort to the Amsterdam to help steering.  Steering is said to be quite poor with the stock setup, especially in reverse.

Any opinions or info you can give would be great, I'm hoping to make a decision soon.

Tbone

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: help me decide on a model
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 03:17:49 am »

Hi Tbone

If you edit your profile you can put in your location of Langley BC, I assume that is Canada.

Then you may get more helpful answers from Tug lovers in Canada. They may be able to give more local advice with regards suppliers.
Being in a more remote area of the world supply is an issue for me as I have to import most things.

Another thing affecting choice is how quickly you want to get on the water/finished. I say this because I think this may be your first boat.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tbone

Re: help me decide on a model
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 06:43:18 am »

Thanks.  I changed my profile to show location.

This isn't my first boat but is my first build of this type.  I've had some other boats but never built a scale ship like this.  I look forward to the challenge, though I'm sure there are lots of people here to help me along.  I'm not in a rush to get it on the water.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.