Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Just toying with Google Chrome  (Read 4616 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Just toying with Google Chrome
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:51:40 pm »

I am just toying with Google Chrome. It is so much nicer than IE, and also nicer and with a cleaner screen than Firefox.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Just toying with Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:16:46 pm »

I am just toying with Google Chrome. It is so much nicer than IE, and also nicer and with a cleaner screen than Firefox.

ANYTHING is nicer than IE!

But Opera is still the fastest, and most standards-compliant....check out the ACID3 test..

regiment

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 06:32:53 pm »

aiant  got a clue wot you are talking about

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:18:29 pm »

Um.

Web pages are read with a program called a Browser. If pages are all written using the same standard computer language then any browser can read them. But Microsoft gave everyone THEIR browser (Internet Explorer) for free, and then made Internet Explorer read web pages in a non-standard way.

That way, everyone had to create web pages using Microsoft's own special programs, otherwise the most common browser in the world (free Internet Explorer) could not read the pages. In that way, Microsoft hoped to 'own' the web.

There have been a lot of court cases about this, and eventually Microsoft has been forced to:

- make Internet Explorer more standard
 - allow people to use other browsers on Windows

But it's uphill work, and many companies still only write their sites for Internet Explorer, and refuse to let other browsers read them - because it's too much work to test for every browser. If only everyone wrote to standards the world would have an easier time. There are some tests to see if a browser complies with standards - the ACID tests.

Go here - http://acid3.acidtests.org/ and your browser will be automatically scored...

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 10:11:24 pm »

Dodgy,
Interesting, have stayed with IE and now IE8 because it was supposed to be the industry standard.
It tests at 20/100 big failure.  <:( <*< >>:-(
However have started using Firefox and have noticed improvement.  :-))
But and there always seem to be buts, am led to believe IE is still needed for Windows updates from Microsoft  <:(

Dreadstar

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:24:12 pm »

As long as you have clicked on automatic updates from Microsoft,then it doesn't matter which browser you use.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 11:06:44 pm »

Dodgy,
Interesting, have stayed with IE and now IE8 because it was supposed to be the industry standard.

Yup, that's what Microsoft keeps saying...

It tests at 20/100 big failure.  <:( <*< >>:-(

And that is not surprising either...

But and there always seem to be buts, am led to believe IE is still needed for Windows updates from Microsoft  <:(

Microsoft continue to try to force people to use their applications, and suppress any other manufacturers. They want to keep their monopoly. In Europe they paid fines of close on a billion pounds (1.4bn Euros) for trying to do this, and were required to offer customers a choice of browsers. So in Europe at least you do not need to have IE for anything....

@Dreadstar - "..As long as you have clicked on automatic updates from Microsoft,then it doesn't matter which browser you use..."

Not sure what this means? If you use IE then you are using a non-standards-compliant, slow and poorly coded browser, no matter how much it is updated. Perhaps you are thinking about security? IE is very prone to security problems - the other browsers rarely have this issue...

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 11:51:32 pm »

If You do not want to support Mirco$oft then there is an alternative.

I use Ubuntu for an OS its Linux and its free

Office apps, Open office and its free and built into the Ubuntu install

and Firefox as a browses again built into Ubuntu install

I can do all the same things as I could do with Microsoft OS and apps but its Free

All I can say is long live open source saves me a furtune. :D :D :D

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 12:23:16 am »

I used Firefox for quite a while, but it was very unstable, with frequent crashes. Since changing to Google Chrome I have had no problems at all, and I still get all the Windows updates.

Peter.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 09:03:26 am »

Dodgy,
Have now tested Firefox 93/100. :-))
What a difference to IE score (20/100)  >>:-(.
What an eye opener. O0

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 09:36:00 am »

Chrome 100
Opera 100
IE 20

One thing though Opera disables some smileys ??  %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 09:38:21 am »

The smileys have reappeared when I posted last %% %% %%
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 10:54:55 am »

I have found Google Chrome is faster. There is much less clutter at the top of the page.
I will be trying some of the features, like - if you want to go-back to an earlier page, you can click and hold on the back arrow and it will show you a history. That avoids the need to go-back, go-back, go-back repetitively to visit an earlier page.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 11:47:35 am »

Have now tested Firefox 93/100. :-))
What a difference to IE score (20/100)  >>:-(.
What an eye opener. O0

Yes. What this is measuring is standards compliance, of course. An end-user won't usually understand this - if they look at a web page which is coded up for IE then everything will work, and that page will probably NOT work for Firefox, Chrome and Opera. Then the user will complain and say how bad Firefox, Chrome and Opera are, and only buy Microsoft products in future.

This is a very well-known Microsoft business practice. They call it the '3 Es' - Embrace, Extend and Extinguish.

The way it works is that Microsoft waits until a computer business area starts taking off - let us say, software for selling bananas. As it takes off Microsoft buys a company in the 'banana software' business, and joins the standards groups that enable each banana company to work with each other. That's 'Embrace'.

Once Microsoft has understood the way their standards work, it puts out a new program which uses the standards, but adds a few extra features which are non-standard, and which it has patented. And makes those critical to the operation of the system. That's 'Extend'.

The final stage is when Microsoft gives their new program away in a bundle with their operating system. Everybody uses it, and uses the non-standard bits. The other companies try to compete, but all their customers now rely on the non-standard bits, and they can't offer similar non-standard software, because Microsoft has patented it. They go under. That's 'Extinguish'.

Some people still think that Microsoft got to where it is by writing better software...

Aurigarius

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 05:51:32 pm »

Interesting discussion.  :-))
I am not a particular MS-hater. But I find myself switching away from their products more and more. Mostly since I am self-employed. I wanted to use legal copies of the software I need for sensible prices. Most of the alternatives even come free of charge.

I still use Windows XP (try to avoid Vista, because I see what a drag it is on my girlfriend's computer)
I use Open Office instead of MS-Office, which basically does the same job for me.
I use Firefox instead of IE for a very long time.
Photoshop is not an MS-software, but I refused to pay half a months loan for that but use the nearly-just-as-good GIMP for my imaging

I tried Linux, but there are too many programs I like to use which do not run, or only work with limitations.

Google will have their own operating-system ready very soon. At the moment it all sounds very nice. But I am not sure if this all doesn't head into the same direction Microsoft went.
If you look at all the applications, bits and pieces that belong to Google now...

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 06:44:11 pm »

I still use Windows XP (try to avoid Vista, because I see what a drag it is on my girlfriend's computer)

Everyone agrees it's a pig. But Windows 7 is meant to be good. If you want to pay for it. Eventually you will be forced to, because XP support will be dropped...

I tried Linux, but there are too many programs I like to use which do not run, or only work with limitations.

Have you considered WINE? That makes Windows programs work under Linux...

Google will have their own operating-system ready very soon. At the moment it all sounds very nice. But I am not sure if this all doesn't head into the same direction Microsoft went.
If you look at all the applications, bits and pieces that belong to Google now...

No problem with companies turning out software. So long as they make their interfaces standard and available so that anyone can write programs which coexist with them. What Microsoft does is use a mixture of technical chicanery and legal pressure to prevent people writing anything that can offer a competitive service. Remember. Microsoft tried to have Linux closed down for unspecified 'patent breaches', but wouldn't say what they were - the whole exercise was a misuse of the law to stop companies using Linux and Open Source generally...

Aurigarius

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 06:55:56 pm »

Everyone agrees it's a pig. But Windows 7 is meant to be good. If you want to pay for it. Eventually you will be forced to, because XP support will be dropped...
Hmm...I will wait & see what happens, when MS support will be dropped. I am pretty sure that most Win XP-Systems will continue to work. :)
I would imagine that the release of the Google OS will be on the same day the Win XP support ends. Just by pure coincidence :)

Have you considered WINE? That makes Windows programs work under Linux...
I have. But it was not always as easy as it sounded at first. Maybe it all was to do with the 'look & feel' of it all. You get used to some things you don't want to change. Maybe my old WinXP is such a thing.

One ob the main reason for keeping it is my other bit hobby: my rFactor online Race-simulation. This one doesn't run under Linux. A lot of online-racers have tried to make it work. But that seems to be too complex.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 07:23:18 pm »

Hmm...I will wait & see what happens, when MS support will be dropped. I am pretty sure that most Win XP-Systems will continue to work. :)

XP will keep working just fine. But all peripheral companies will stop issuing XP drivers for their products. All at once, almost as if it has been written into their contracts with Microsoft...  :o
At that stage you will not be able to buy new kit for your machine, and will be forced to 'upgrade'...

One ob the main reason for keeping it is my other bit hobby: my rFactor online Race-simulation. This one doesn't run under Linux. A lot of online-racers have tried to make it work. But that seems to be too complex.

Googling, I see that there is lots of work going on in this field. Many game companies used to issue Linux versions of their product, but kept quiet about it.. perhaps they could do with more encouragement.

What is this 'Cedega' I see? That seems to claim that it will let you run rFactor under Linux...

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 08:47:05 pm »

XP will keep working just fine. But all peripheral companies will stop issuing XP drivers for their products. All at once, almost as if it has been written into their contracts with Microsoft... 
At that stage you will not be able to buy new kit for your machine, and will be forced to 'upgrade'...
There's another side to this - when you upgrade your Windows, there may well be items that you can't use, or even install because the old installation software won't work under the new Windows, and the manufacturers haven't written new software.  I got this with my scanner - had I bought WinXP when it first appeared I would have had to ditch a 2 year old scanner.  As it was, I had to dump a 5 year old scanner that was admittedly beginning to show its age, but the principle is still there.  Come to think of it, the video capture card went the same way.
One company at it is just ruthless business practice.  Several becomes a conspiracy.  The whole operation seems intent on everybody globally completely re-equipping every 4 or 5 years. 
Linux doesn't help much, either.  It might not need as much machine to run on, but it isn't as modest as some would have you believe unless you use one of the "geekier" versions.  The newer, more Windows feeling versions need resources almost on a par withcurrent Windows.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 09:45:31 pm »

I am using Google Chrome and Windows 7, fast and so far no great problems.
I also use Chrome on XP and Vista with no great problems except that I have to open my emails with IE or it wont scroll.
I did use Firefox but every upgrade needs the add-ons reinstalling, just couldn't be bothered

Bob
Officially a GOG.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 10:39:37 pm »

...The whole operation seems intent on everybody globally completely re-equipping every 4 or 5 years...

That's the result of a world monopoly - you either do things Microsoft's way or you don't do them at all. And Microsoft's way is a new Operating System every two to three years, to keep the money rolling in. In the days when technology changed greatly in two years that made a bit of sense - if only to recognise bigger disk sizes a new OS was useful, but now that hardware has hit a plateau a bit, the entire Microsoft machine is in a bit of a quandary. They have not managed to force Industry off XP yet - but they will....

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 03:54:35 am »

I am using Google Chrome and Windows 7, fast and so far no great problems.
I also use Chrome on XP and Vista with no great problems except that I have to open my emails with IE or it wont scroll.
I did use Firefox but every upgrade needs the add-ons reinstalling, just couldn't be bothered

Bob

What email system are you using Bob?
I have no problems with Hotmail using Google Chrome on Vista.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 08:14:10 am »

Bobs on Tiscali I believe TT.
I'm on Hotmail and Google Chrome with Vista and IE, no bother at all.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 10:50:36 am »

I'm on XP using Firefox with the webmail/hotmail addons.  It all happens fairly automatically - if there is an update available it says so, and asks if I want to do it.  One click later it says its done it, and do I want to restart?  One more click and away we go.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 11:00:25 am »

What email system are you using Bob?

When things don't work, it's almost always because companies have supported Microsoft's non-standard coding, and refused to comply with the W3C standards. I have some sympathy for end-users - how can they tell what the problem is? But it would be nice to find a way to put pressure on everybody to comply precisely.

That's one reason why I use Opera. It's the most standards-compliant browser, so if anything goes wrong, you can be fairly sure it is a problem with the site coding. Indeed, Opera have a special menu heading for automatically reporting site problems back to them - they will then check and inform the site for you...

Being precisely compliant brings problems of its own, of course. A few years ago, one of the main security certificate revocation servers failed. When you do secure operations like internet banking, the browser checks that the bank's security certificate is valid, and all browsers do this by default. But the full standard says that, as well as checking validity, you should also check if the certificate has been revoked (withdrawn, perhaps because someone has compromised it). Only Opera did this by default, meaning that when the problem arose, nobody except Opera users noticed it, because only Opera users were locked out....  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.