Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: American Grand Banks Fishing Schooner.  (Read 11161 times)

Geoff Cropper

American Grand Banks Fishing Schooner.
« on: July 04, 2010, 09:10:18 pm »

[/img]

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

Geoff Cropper

Re: American Grand Banks Fishing Schooner.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:47:37 pm »

Hi Again,               Sorry chaps,  the writeup hasn't posted with the pics, as you can see.         How is that possible?       It's 36in on deck and 48in. over all.     She is double planked on ply frames with two coats of grp resin inside and out.   All scratch built, the masts can fold down backwards but it fits in my car masts up, so I don't bother.            The sail winch is a 9 volt Lego motor with the winch line (Nylet Sails) wrapped round one axle with an elastic cord (Nylet Sails again) used to pull it out.     It's all controlled with limit micro switches (Maplins)           I made a centreboard trunk through the keel, completely enclosed at the top except for a hole in the top (above the waterline) for a stainless 4mm machine screw to hold the false keel in.          The keel at the moment is a bit experimental,  it's about 12in. long and has 4 one pound plates of lead bolted 2 each side of the 5/16in ply keel at the bottom with 2 5mm studs with washers and nuts.             That's all for now, regards  Geoff.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 01:40:12 am »

Nice model, great detailing :-))

Thanks for sharing.

Would love to see her on the water. :-)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:17:38 am »

[/img]

[/img]
[/img]

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 09:31:52 am »

Oops it's done it again, printed pics without the write up.        Pics of schooner in test tank (pool) in half a gale,the lee rail was going under in gusts, had to reef down then she settled down.         The topsails can be unhooked, I also made a fisherman's topsail for very light breezes which hangs between the masts at the top.             Regards Geoff.            PS.    Why can't I post words and pics on the same post, HELP!

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:43:17 am »

Super Boat ... Will look forward to some sailing Pix
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 04:37:25 pm »

Excellent work!  :-)) :-)) Looks like you've built a model which will look as good on the display shelf as on the water, a difficult job with sailing models
especially one as large + complex as this. The rigging + sails look totally in-scale.

Is your model based on a particular ship, or freelance? The deck layout looks similar to the "Bluenose" plastic kit I have.

Also definitely looking forward to some sailing photos!

peterpan

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 05:13:16 pm »

Hi
Am half way through first ever model. Its a Bruma kit but I am completely changing the rig to a working gaff with sails. (so part kit part scatch)

Am really strugalling with the sails

Could you please tell me what material you used and some idea how they were made........I dont ask for muchjavascript:void(0);

I tried to attach pics but to big......will look into this.....sorry but all new to me at mowment
Many Thanks

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:19:57 pm »

Hi Guys,    I made the sails from ivory coloured polyester pillow cases, white material looks too white for models.     Rig all the spars up as it would be with sails on, then using card, hold it behind the spars for one sail, then mark all three or four corners where you want them onto the card.      Join the marks up to give you the sail outline then cut it out and write on which sail it is.       Wash the cloth in the washer then iron it flat.      Place the card sail pattern on the cloth and mark round the card allowing about 1/2 inch (thats half an inch, not one to two inches) all round.     Fold the extra half inch of cloth over the edge of the card and iron flat all round.      Open the edge again and fold the edge of the cloth in to the ironing foldline and iron again.    You should have now a quarter inch of double hem which you run in the sewing machine when you've ironed all the hems.         Sew as close to the inside of the hem without going over the edge.       Practice on a piece of offcut cloth first, I did.      Mark off scale widths of cloth with a pencil and run in the sewing machine.       The reef lines are next horizontal across the sail.         The bolt rope is last and longest job sewing over and over a length of rigging line around the edge of the sail.       Bolt ropes are sown on the Port left side of fore and aft sails and the aft side of square sails.         I hope that helps you.   Regards,  Geoff.                       PS.    The model is based on the American Gloucester fishing schooners on the Grand Banks fishing grounds.

Brooks

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:05:42 pm »

Very beautiful Geoff.

Some comments, based on my RC experience with "Aldebaran" (fore&main topsail schooner, 24"hull, based on 1830's "Dos Amigos" in Chapelle's  "The history of American sailing ships"):

1. I prefer long&shallow rudders to thin&deep rudders. While the deep are more hydrodynamically efficient, they don't work as well as a long rudder for sculling. Sometimes a good scull or 2 will complete a maneuver. If you want to add rudder area to the aft edge of your existing one, an attachment of clear plastic cut from a "blister pack" works very well. It will be invisible in the water.

2. Wearing is a maneuver that's hard to complete if your backstays prohibit the main boom from swinging out for the run. Ideally, you'd let it out to perpendicular to the hull prior to initiating the wear. My backstays won't allow that. When I have the squares set, I can wear, using them to assist the turn (squares are so useful in maneuvering, I can see why they persisted at sea for so long). But when I am sailing w/o squares, my wears are very iffy, and often fail. You may be able to wear more easily than me, though,  due to your boomed foresail; wing out the sail before starting the wear. Aldebaran flys a boomless foresail, and that hurts the wear (they'd probably have clewed-up the foresail before wearing, if sailing w/o squares set...too bad we don't have miniature sailors :-).

Looking forward to photos and videos of your beautiful fishing schooner on the pond :-)

peterpan

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 05:11:17 pm »

Geoff.
Many thanks thats just what I was looking for. I will let yoy know how i get and will try and post some pics (files are two big at moment).
Can I just echo how fantastic your model is. It has been a real insperation to this beginner.
Thanks again

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 08:03:57 pm »

Hi, Pleased to be of some help.       Kind regards,  Geoff.

peterpan

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 11:29:43 am »

Hi Geoff.

Sorry its me again.

Where you lash the sail to the boom did you just make a small hole in the sail and pass the line through over the bolt rope?

The same question of holes applies to the headsails and what did you use to actually hank the sail to the forstay? I cant tell from the pics.

I have been experimenting for some time myself with how to do the sails and have to say I have been going down very much the same path of sail making but its nice to know that it can work.

Are the sails fixed or can they be dropped and furled?

Thanks again

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 08:48:12 pm »

Hi Peterpan,  Yes,    The sails are sewn onto the spars over and over using thin rigging line and a large needle.        The foresails are hanked on the forestay with two turns of strong thin line tied in a reef knot, sealed with a spot of superglue then trim the ends off with nail clippers.  (much better than scissors ).        Hanks put on using a needle.         The bottom row of sails are sewn on and stay on, the upper sails ie. Flying jib, Fishermans tops'l and Main gaff tops'l have hooks made from paperclips on the corners so I can unhook them if the wind gets up and the lee rail goes under too often.           The deck panels are sealed with vaseline to keep the water out.         Hope that helps, feel free to ask anything else.       Kind regards,      Geoff. :-)) :-))

peterpan

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 09:14:46 am »

Many Thanks

Think I have managed to re size couple of pics so here goes

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 02:18:56 pm »

Hi Peterpan,   WOW,   What a great job you've done,  I love the deck planking, so neat.        By the way, I made a mistake about lashing sails to spars.         The sails are secured to the spars with seperate double reefs at each cloth stitch line in the sail and reef knotted, spot of s/glue on the knot and snipped the ends off.       Hope you can understand that.       Geoff.      PS.       Look at  last picture in first batch of main boom.

peterpan

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 04:27:47 pm »

Hi Geoff.

Thanks for comments. For a bit more background on this project see my first post at Mess Deck: General Section / Chit-Chat / New boy with Bruma kit nearly a year ago May 09 2010 (dont work on model all the time mainly in the winter)
The kit has the hull painted white but I liked the timber finish so kept it.

Yes, understood...will probably have continouse lashing for foot of sail to boom....a bit more in keeping with the size of the rig.

With the help of good lady wife seamstress skills and your info we have just completed first sail so on our way (still lots to do).

Thanks again will post my progress as and when.

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 10:29:23 am »

Hi guys,     Here's a few more pics.     Geoff.

rob1962

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 10:52:10 am »

Nice model, Geoff- If Mary J Stubbs ever looks as good, I will be happy.
I am still undecided about the winch arrangements. Do you have separate winches for main and foresail, and is the jib controlled?
This will be my first R/C sailboat.
Proud owner Krick Victoria & Krick Borkum.Cheddar Claire/pintail E & B

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 07:32:00 pm »

Hi T M-phil,           All the sail sheets (control lines) are tied to a ring on the winch line on deck and go in and out together including the jib.      Good luck with your model,  regards  Geoff.

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 06:55:59 pm »

A couple more pics showing sail sheets and winch ring.            I've also changed the Futaba servos and Rx to 2.4ghz Hitec system.     Cheers  Geoff.

Geoff Cropper

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 03:56:04 pm »

Hi All,           Just thought I'd add this sketch of my rudder control, if it's any help to someone.         The wood screws are for fine adjustment.

StuartH

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 05:12:58 pm »

Hi there, thanks for posting the drawing of your Rudder Control.  So long as I can make it work in my Dragon it will be exactly what I am looking for.
Stuart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.