Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gorrilla Glue  (Read 4291 times)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Gorrilla Glue
« on: July 05, 2010, 11:36:43 am »

Has any Body used Gorrilla Glue??? According to the the Bumf its 100% water proof  bonds  metal, stone,wood,ceramics, foam, glass & More... objects must be clamped togeather for 1 -2 hrs or more and acheaves clamp pressuer in 2 hrs
 It's made by the Gorrilla Glue Co. Inc    2008 Made in Denmark 801
www.gorrillatough.co.uk

I have been give a bottle to try out and woundered if any one out there has used it and what they thought of it.
Jimmy  {:-{
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

regiment

Re: Gorrilla Glue
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:47:17 am »

not bad a bit messy

steamboatmodel

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 02:19:12 pm »

I have tried it, was not impressed. It didn't hold the parts together and does stain (wear gloves). I have gone back to epoxy.
Regards,
Gerald.

The Antipodean

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 02:48:04 pm »

If your joint isn't quite flush or you don't get it quite square you will get a foam out of the joint and it does not sand well.

Rex Hunt

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 04:11:52 pm »

Sticks like cak to a blanket!....don't get it on your fingers!

Back bumper of my Toyota is held on with it!   ;)

You do need to apply pressure to the joint while the adhesive cures.

Rex

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:57:27 pm »

There are two kinds of Gorilla Glue. The brown stuff is best suited to rough and construction work. The other kind is white and probably better for our purposes, though you do need to read and follow the instructions, however much it goes against the grain.

Have a look at:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GORILLA-GLUE-FAST-CURE-DRIES-WHITE-ADHESIVE-/110518260679?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item19bb66d3c7

Buy it and support a poor old Mayhemmer!
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 10:14:42 pm »

I've got the brown stuff...Never heard of if until yesterday I'm just sticking the sub deck down on a small sailing lugger (West country mid 18th Century Moonlight Trader)as soon as I can get some pix togeather I'll Post them    As for the glue, will let you know what I think en a day or two But so far after years of making sure the work is clean and dry to be told to damp the wood down before applying the glue seams a bit strange!!! {:-{
Freebooter
Kings Lynn

The Antipodean

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 10:54:55 pm »

Damping the wood raises the grain and helps the wood absorb some of the glue to create a better bond, but don't get it too wet as it makes that foam I mentioned and is lots of fun to sand back.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 03:02:57 am »

Hi..........I realise a little off topic...... {-)...but who remembers 1964 High School woodwork? .......when I had to pay sixpence to catch the bus to school  >>:-(

We used animal glue....[yes ground up horses hooves]...this extract from Wikipedia  %) is interesting........but more interestingly was that it appeared to be indestructible....  :-)) Derek

An animal glue is an adhesive that is created by prolonged boiling of animal connective tissue.

These protein colloid glues are formed through hydrolysis of the collagen from skins, bones, tendons, and other tissues, similar to gelatin. The word "collagen" itself derives from Greek kolla, glue. These proteins form a molecular bond with the glued object.

Stereotypically, the animal in question is a horse, and horses that are put down are often said to have been sent to the "glue factory".

Contents [hide]
1 Types and uses
1.1 Hide glue
1.1.1 Production
1.1.2 Properties
1.2 Hoof glue
1.3 Rabbit-skin glue
2 History
3 See also
4 Notes
5 References

[edit] Types and uses
Animal glue was the most common woodworking glue for thousands of years until the advent of synthetic glues such as polyvinyl acetate (PVA) and other resin glues in the 20th century. Today it is used primarily in specialty applications such as lutherie, pipe organ building, and antique restoration. Glass artists take advantage of hide glue's ability to bond with glass, applying hide glue to glass. As the glue hardens it shrinks, chipping the glass
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 07:37:51 am »

And Caseine glue was used for waterproof joints.  :-))
It didn't smell, like animal glue which you had to have in two pots the outer containing water and was able to be cleaned up using warm/hot water.
Not that I remember  %) %)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 08:57:28 pm »

Resalts
A bit fiddly to use ... if you get it on your hands its a sod to get it off...and you must clamp it well...Seams to make a good bond... The fact that it foams up if you damp the wood to much is handy for filling gaps .... will not permanently bond to Gelcoate  unless it is well roughed up (Handy as its easy to remove accidental drips) tends to clog sand paper but is easy to cut back with a David plane, a sharp chisel or a file... Verdict Nothing special but seam's a handy addition to the tool box
Freebooter  :-))
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.