Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: vosper marine fast patrol craft  (Read 6286 times)

triumphjon

vosper marine fast patrol craft
« on: July 05, 2010, 11:17:50 pm »

a freind has recently purchased a 52" long semi complete model , advertised as a veron kit , upon looking its acctualy a scratch biuld of what looks like thje ferocity , vospers private venture patrol craft . . the model was fitted with a single shaft and a 6 volt 540 motor  !!  needless to say this has seen surgery this weekend & is now fitted with a piar of 13 " m4 shafts ,fabricated p brackets , new rudders again fabricated . awaiting the arrival of a new pair of 700 turbos ( ive got a odd one for alignment )  does anybody have any sugestions as how to make the guns rotate please ?

hmsantrim

Re: vosper marine fast patrol craft
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 02:21:06 am »

Hi there.
            @ 52 inches It is the veron kit you have as I have one my self, it is sold as the trinidad and tobago coast guard ship
           HMTS Courland Bay. The malaysian navy also had it.  There is a funnel abaft the supestructure on the model, the ferocity has
            none.
           The Perkasa is the commercialy sold vessel from the Ferocity design with the 4 fish, twin bofors, and similar style cabin and
            tapering aft suprtstructure. Thay were sold to Germany, Denmark, Malaysia, Libya, and Brunei navies.

Fleetscale do a semi-kit with fittings for your model, there are some photos of the finished model as well, theirs is sold as the
          HMTS Trinity.

I had an idea for a rotating gun which should work on paper...as they ofcourse they do but you could try it.   

1. attach a piece of rod metal,  wood, whatever material you choose, or what I would call fix a pin to the base of the gun so
           that it goes through a hole in the deck.

2. Attach a cross shaped servo horn to the bottom of the pin.  Two of the arms should be parallel with the base of the gun, the
          barrel pointing forward.

3. attach a clevis rod to the servo horn at the gun end and a servo to the other end of the clevis rod.

4. The systen I an describing is the same set up as you have on the rudder.  servo pushes the clevis rod- pushes the tiller arm-
               turns the rudder..why not a gun its just the same rotary movement.

Hope you get the idea???

..                                                  ........................cheers Frank.. 

triumphjon

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:46:20 pm »

thanks , same vessel , although the timber seems a little thick for a kit biuld ( the keel is around an inch thick ! ) we have no plan for the boat so have been working by eye from photos of other ferocity / brave class boats , as it was bought as a part biult model , ive removed the single 13" propshaft & replaced it as a twin shaft / rudder boat as per full size . ive fabricated "p" brackets & rudders in brass & set the shafts up to run a pair of 700 motors . what havve you got running yours please ?

hmsantrim

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:25:45 am »

Hi there.
              Mine is also a Flea Bay part built jobby. It came with the origional build plans so I will get around to making it some time.
              It does seem to have a have a bit of weight in it so you will need a pair of motors to make it go.
              The 700 turbos will make it go, if you are using a nicad pack as they are hi drain motors so you may get @ 20min sail time.  

I have made up some D cell packs in 6, 9.6, & 12v which I use in the likes of the perkassa which keeps the weight down so
             the model will plane.

You could also join two 6v 4ah lead acids to make a small 12v cell as you want to keep the battery weight down in a wood
             hull.  if you don`t like the 700 turbos try the MFA 850 not quite as fast a lot less greedy on the juice and longer sail time.

They will lift the bow up and the boat should go at a fast walking pace on 12vs.  You could put them on 18vs which will be a  
              bit  faster. the motor will handle the voltage as you can always safely increase motor battery voltage by a half with out it 
             complaining
               (ie) getting hot...

cheers Frank

triumphjon

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 10:06:23 pm »

well weve bought the motors , a pair of 975 s that run upto 12volts they are a little ampy as on my bench on a 7.2  nicad they pull 7.5 amps each !  now waiting on the pair of motor mount that were bought last thursday to be despatched ( ebay ) as weve been let down twice by the vendor ! hopefully will have it on the water next week ! i shall be leaveing lots of the detail work to mmy brother inlaw as its really his model ( first with radio , hence the assistance to set it up )
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 19 queries.