Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A cat with a difference  (Read 2250 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
A cat with a difference
« on: July 07, 2010, 04:14:47 pm »

Well some of you know i have some crazy ideas when it comes to my boats , so here goes :} .
I was at the cadma show last month and saw a paddler with a difference , the paddle was totally enclosed in the hull and had a couple of rudders for steerage.
Now this i thought would be a great idea for a boat where there is plenty of weed as the paddles could be raised and rounded so as not to foul the week or as a bait boat  :-)).
Now this also got me thinking , much to the disaproval of the wife "don't you be getting any ideas" comes to mind , but thats another thing. But back to the boat ,
i have thought about a twin hull boat like a cat , but not with sails  , so why not incorporate both ideas together and make a paddle cat.
So here goes , twin hulls and a paddle in the middle all i nead now is some sort of plan ??? .
daz
And why use paddles , simples i have spent too much on the schottles to afford a pair of jet drives  %) .
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: A cat with a difference
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:06:06 pm »

Extra points if you make it windmill powered:o %%

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:49:34 pm »

now that would be different  :D
I have just made the floaty things and cut the deck , but stuck on the paddles.
Getting there :-)) .
daz

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:28:28 am »

I have seen a 'pedlo' like this.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 03:16:12 am »

Only an OZ convict to do it............ {-) :-)) ..,....Derek

PADDLE STEAMER "BUNYIP"

Observer 2 May 1857 - 3g.
GROWTH OF MURRAY ENTERPRISE - The navigation of the River Murray in 1857 is likely to demonstrate a greatly increased appreciation of the capabilities of that noble stream and its numerous tributaries. Among the anticipated additions to the steam force on the river is the new twin steamer Bunyip, now in course of construction at Mannum, by Captain W.R. Randell, and expected to be ready for launching in six weeks. The Bunyip may be classed with the Gemini, but is much larger, the extreme length being 106 feet, and extreme breadth 36 feet. The new twin boats are each 100 feet long with 12 feet beam, united and covered by one deck with a central opening for a single paddle wheel of about 18 feet diameter and 6 feet breast, which will be operated upon by two direct-acting engines, each of 25 horsepower. On the deck is placed a large and secure cargo-house with a flat roof, and capacity for the stowage of 500 bales of wool. The draft of water is not likely to exceed 3 feet with 80 tons of dead-weight cargo. Each of the hulls is divided into nine watertight compartments, but they are not intended for cargo. The rudder will be placed midway between the two stern-posts, and the turning of the vessel will be occasionally assisted by a paddle apparatus invented by Captain Randell, and placed between the two stems, at right angles therewith, which will be worked by a small engine of three horsepower, intended also for other useful purposes, such as assisting in the discharge of cargo and various mechanical operations. It is scarcely necessary to intimate that the small engine will be applied to the displacement of the turning apparatus and otherwise in case of accident. On the roof of the cargo-house is a capacious saloon for passengers, who may be comfortably accommodated in considerable numbers below when the space is not occupied by bulky commodities. Between the cargo-house and the gunwales is a walk, protected by a continuous rail, which will enable those on board to perambulate the vessel in safety, or to ascend from either side and obtain a more extensive view of the river scenery from the flat roof, two external staircases being among the conveniences provided. The model, which is now before us, presents a very judicious and spirited combination, and the principle of construction which has been found to answer so well in the Gemini is likely to prove still more successful and remunerative in the Bunyip.
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

sparky

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:51:59 am »

Would that be the first ever bow thruster ??    ;)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 06:23:19 pm »

very interesting Derek , a very stimulating read ,
i almost had the resulting image in my mind but then i googled it and all i got was a dredger and a creature with big teeth.
So that was the end of that , any pics to set my mind as ease.
daz

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 12:54:21 am »

Bunyip images Daz.........apologies for the file clarity, however when read in conjunction with the text should confirm that Bunyip was a "hybrid" or 1/2 bread as some may consider  {-).............Derek :embarrassed:
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 02:43:43 pm »

she is certanly an unusual craft with the paddles mid ships , the one i am building is just a concept but may be further explored as a bait boat for the angler .
But all work has stopped , swimbo has other orders for me  <*< , keeps the peace :-)) .
daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.