Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: information please  (Read 2039 times)

nathanbint

information please
« on: July 07, 2010, 09:11:24 pm »

hi guys well i know somebody on this site would help me out i am thinking of building the pilot boat plastic kit its got all the plans and everything but first of all it says in the plans i will need styene cement and eproxy resin which resins do you builders use? and which silent do you use? thank you and i hope somebody can help me sorry if this is in the wrong section 

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: information please
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 08:54:38 am »

Hi Nathan, forget styrene cement use Plastic Weld

Place two pieces of plastic together and using small paint brush apply weld to joint.

Use Zap two part Z-poxy resin either 5min or 30min setting time.

Mix equal quantities of epoxy and hardener.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nathanbint

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:22:31 pm »

hi thank you for your help i have got some of that plastic weld anyway cheers

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:34:11 am »

The styrene cement in the tube does have its uses as well (running a fillet on a seam), as does cyano (sticking some of the fiddly bits).
The most important things to remember are
1/  There shall be no holes below the waterline.
2/  Any seams below the waterline shall remain intact.
There are plenty of other things, but they mostly affect appearance and performance, which are both secondary to keeping the boat on top of the water.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

nathanbint

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 12:16:16 pm »

hi thank you for your help as it is my first time building a kit i am seeing one of my boating friends at my local lake to help me on the important parts thank you

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 03:35:53 am »

Styrene glue can be homemade from Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), which is available in hardware stores (paint dept.) in the US for about $9 a quart.  Put a few ounces in a glass jelly jar or a metal can with a screw lid, make a hole in the lid just big enough for a small brush to enter and screw the lid on tight (MEK evaporates very quickly if not contained).  Make a tight fitting plug for the small hole.  Cut some scrap styrene into tiny pieces and drop it in the jar.  The MEK will dissolve the styrene.  This gives it a bit of consistency and a small gap-filling ability.  Apply it like someone else on this thread said, with a small brush.  Fit the parts together and tape them in place before applying the cement, because it melts the styrene and sets in about 20 seconds.  It is dry and hard in an hour or less.

This is not my idea.  It came in the instructions for my Model Slipways Loyal fleet tender.  I have built the whole boat with this stuff, where styrene-to-styrene joints are made.

nathanbint

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:06:30 pm »

hi mate thank you for your help but it sounds to complicated for me but thank you for the advice cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.