Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old School Electrics  (Read 1798 times)

hazmat

Old School Electrics
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:51:00 pm »

Lucky me.
Apparently I'm only 20 years behind times  :} (that is according to a couple of credit card wielding ARTF modelers I met today).
Why is this?
Because I wire my motor controls using servo driven cams, micro switches and relays?

Is there anyone else out there who shuns ESC's preferring resistors or lamp ballasts for speed control or am I just 'past it'?

Paul

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Old School Electrics
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:10:54 am »

{-) {-) hazmet says ..... "Apparently I'm only 20 years behind times"  ...well yes & no Paul.......

I do understand that Mayhem covers a diverse range of marine topics & also acknowledge the [FOC] assistance for electrical control as posted by FLJ ...as a superb mentor to the forum members

However, if we digress to steam & review some of the work by members such as  Bernhard & his peers  :-)) ...we see plain old fashioned servos + cams & micro switches disguised brilliantly for the function at hand  ok2

We also see the likes of Flash Two  <*< involve electronic wizidary into PIC's & PYN's & PICYB [singular] .... with the same stable or  %% world of flash steam

Stay with what you like ....but keep the blinkers off..... %) :-)) .......... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:21:29 am »

Let them think what they like, at least you've created something - RTR models bring new blood into the hobby - they just have to then realise the pleasure in making their own.
Even if you're modelling skills may be a bit belt and braces, there's nothing nicer than seeing everything work - electronics may be efficient, hi-tech and the future but it's not as much fun or as fascinating as wheels and pulleys, gears and levers whirring and clicking away - you can't see a circuit board working can you?

Besides, according to my fashion designer daughter, you're not 20 years behind times - you're 'retro', which is a far cooler title.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 10:51:08 am »

Commercially available products might be lower cost, more efficient, more accurate, better shaped, in any combination, but that which you have made is more yours than anything that has been bought ready for use.  There is nothing to beat the pure pleasure of creating something of your own, and the hobby is about pleasure.  If anybody wishes to deny themselves that pleasure, thats up to them.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 12:03:01 pm »

Paul
Not wishing to put a commercial damper onto your creative muse, but all of your methods of motor speed control are dreadfully wasteful of battery capacity. Someone once said to me, about resistive speed controllers, "It's like wiring your battery up to an electric fire". I've no reason to argue with him.
If you want a bit more info on how ESCs work then spend an idle ten minutes here:
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/ESCs.pdf
Having said that, we can also supply microswitches and relays if that's what floats your particular boat. Suit yourself.
FLJ

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 12:35:55 pm »

Sometimes FLJ, unless you're in the fast electric / high power / low weight type of modeller, power consumption / efficency is not the issue.
Sometimes it's fun being Heath Robinson-esque in design and manufacture.

Seeing as you're in the same county as me Hazmat, if you need microswitches let me know, we throw loads away but are willing to save them for you.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:46:57 pm »

Sometimes FLJ, unless you're in the fast electric / high power / low weight type of modeller, power consumption / efficency is not the issue.
Point taken, hence my customary "suit yourself". As Malcolm Frary would say, there's many ways to skin a cat (but first catch your cat).

We do, however, have many  customers who wish to fit two large SLA batteries in parallel in their scale workboats for longer duration. Battery capacity and power consumption have relevance in all electrically powered model boats, even if your only criteria is how many folk ask about it.

FLJ

hazmat

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 05:43:06 pm »

Its nice to know I'm not alone in the world folks.

FLJ, Hi there.
I do use ESC's for heavy current work but luckily I can make my own (although I still use a servo to turn the speed pot and to trigger relays for reverse).  {:-{

I do this for fun and cheapness. The bits for a 30amp 12v ESC only cost me a tenner and more importantly  .  .  .  .
:-)) :-)) :-)) IT'S REPAIRABLE :-)) :-)) :-))

As for battery capacity, its a consideration but all my models are built for 'plodding' so I don't lose much sleep about it.
Besides, the heat generated by my lamp ballasts helps dry out the bilges. :}

Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.