Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lexan paint  (Read 2454 times)

bbdave

Lexan paint
« on: July 11, 2010, 02:37:16 pm »

Can car shell lexan paint be used externally on a boat then over sprayed with a gloss varnish to finish only asking as the range of colours and effects better compared to Halfords type rattle cans

Dave

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lexan paint
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »

Hallo, All you can do is to experiment, I have always used it inside the shell,
                                    Nemesis

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:41:54 am »

I recently experimented with the alclad range of lexan paints. When I glossed over it with clear laquer, the finish was destroyed. I was using silver, it also blemished when it got wet. I was painting the air scoops on a Huntsman, eventually made them from clear plastic card, and painted inside with Alclad lexan chrome paint, they look really nice, and the paint is now inside so does not require laquer.

hope that helps :-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:21:41 am »

Is it going to blemish if it gets wet again?? Looks to be one of the best representitives of chrome in a while. Brush or spray? Wonder what Maclaren are using on the F1 car.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 10:31:55 pm »

no, as I made the vents from clear plastic, and painted from inside, so the outside as in the pics are the clear plastic, if you know what I mean! %%

The Alclad chrome paint for lexan shells, is specifically used to paint from inside on clear lexan, and the chrome finish is then on the other side. When viewed from the inside, which is normally the way to see any other paint, the finish is very dull grey. The paint is then backed with a dark colour to give the chrome finish depth

I tried all sorts of chrome paint, humbrol, plasticote, etc etc, and all except one was just a bright silver finish, the one that did work had to be buffed to get a terrific chrome finish,  but once it got splashed it was ruined

Hope that helps :-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 11:23:07 am »

no, as I made the vents from clear plastic, and painted from inside, so the outside as in the pics are the clear plastic, if you know what I mean

Yep, I can understand English like what it is wrote Red, but the Front of the vents are open to O2?? Thus the name scoooooop. Or have you left the fronts closed so it don't matter?

Someone sent me this tother day with ref to an engineering forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAgT1huicqI

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 01:32:36 pm »

yes left open Ian, for realism!, also, the location nuts and bolts that hold the windscreen on are behind the vents, so I can get a small spanner in the front opening when/if I need to remove the windscreen. As the paint is backed with another paint, then it does not matter if the inside gets tarnished, it cant be seen. Its a bit expensive for a small tin, and needed several light coats, but I think the results where worth it.

Have a look at the alclad website, it gives a lot of application info, and shows all the other paints in the range :-))   

The back corner of the hull was done with thin plasticard, then covered with chrome effect sticky back plastic, same process for the 4 lifting plates along the waterline. I expected this to peel away after some use, but so far its fine. The Huntsman logo was done the same way
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.