Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very Handy  (Read 3000 times)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Very Handy
« on: November 11, 2006, 05:22:11 pm »

Simple - but for me I use it all the time.

1 speed clamp, and a strip of mahogany, about 12'' long x 2'' wide x1/4'' thick - clamped to my bench at 90 degrees, gives me a perfect mini bench over my lap, for fine work, access all round for those delicate little jobs, drilling, filing, sawing. One click and back in the drawer it goes.
Colin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Very Handy
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 02:35:14 pm »

I cannot picture this, sounds useful

can you explain in more detail or post a pic please
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 12:03:54 pm »

The description sounds to me like what I have seen described as "a jewellers fiddle". A simple projection from the work bench which provides easy access. Jewellers use one with a slot from the end remote from the bench which then opens into a small hole. I think a fine fret saw can then be used. Other tools such as fine files could also be used with the small/delicate workpiece well supported.

Roger in France. (Back on-line again, I hope, after computer troubles you don't want to know about!)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 07:02:19 am »

Hello tigertiger,

Sorry for delay in reply, what Roger says is it basically, it really is just a strip of wood clamped to my desk (workbench) projecting out over my lap. Therefore I can work to the left or right on it, I use it in conjunction with magnifying anglepoise lamp. Yesterday I cut a small vee in at the end, in which it enabled me to rotate a small dowel carrying a tiny porthole (one of over a hundred) for painting - wrist on desk, paintbrush steady, dowel in vee, rotated from underneath between thumb and forefinge , quick and accurate, got through them in no time at all.

Colin

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.